Hello, and hoping to get some help on a build from you.

Stelknecht

Hello, new to this forum, but not to champions or hero system, although a few things have changed since the last edition I saw. Played a lot of superhero champions and a few fantasy hero games in the 80's, and thinking about trying to introduce it to current pathfinder/D&D group. 

That said, I'm trying to make a power and not getting where I want to. I'd like my villain to be able to make shields as a blocking action (like, abort his next action) that are barriers. I can build the barriers (X rPD, X rED, Non-anchored, cannot englobe, instant, larger (+1 by +1 M), 1 Body, always same Red Hex shape). but I think making them is an attack action, and so he couldn't make them except on his attacks. 

Am I right? How could I build this? I'd like to make a slightly but not horribly annoying mini-boss, who can defend himself by making a wall that blocks the next attack shot at it; so if he builds a few walls, he can protect himself from attack from a few different directions. 

Hopefully I'm explaining this well enough; if not, please let me know. 

Thanks, 

Stel

Barrier and its predecessor Force Wall can typically be activated as a defensive action using the Abort rules.

I think your confusion may be from the use of the "attack action" terminology.  In the case of Barrier that only applies if it is being used to englobe a target.

Block, Dodge and Dive For Cover are also considered Attack Actions. The term is used primarily to denote that it ends the character's phase.

:)

HM

There is also the trap of diminishing returns when attempting to build the full granular detail you might imagine that an ability should have when created in HERO rules.  A speedster's flury of rapid punches is a great example.   While it is possible to build a HA (Hand to Hand Attack) with Autofire to represent multiple superspeed punches it is usually easier and more effective to actually build a bigger HA without the Autofire advantage.  The same logic applies to your Barrier/shield.  You could focus on the shot by shot creation/defense action and even use the Deflection Power, it would probably be easier to just build a personal Barrier that moves with the character and consider adding Indirect to all of the character's attacks to allow him to 'shoot through' his own 'shields'.

:)

HM

thanks! that's what I was hurting my brain over, the attack action; somehow I had it in my head, setting up a barrier was an attack action. Does it need instant? As long as he's able to use it to block, that'll work. I'm trying to make him annoying, but not unstoppable.

I'm kinda seeing what you're saying about indirect, but I'm hoping to encourage a variety of attacks on him; maybe the bruiser/speedster are doing PD and taking down his shields, while the blaster is doing damage with ED. Or so I hope. Players are always able to see holes in my bad guys I never saw and wouldn't have thought of in a million years.

You know, creating barriers as a blocking action is quite easily simulated by buying either barrier or force field with requires a skill roll. The value of that defence will depend on your OCV compared to the average of those you fight.

In play the force field is, by the rules, on all the time but is only effective if you make a block roll against your opponents attack. In game it simply appears that the protection appears as an attack is incoming and works best against opponents that are less able than yourself.

HyperMan is right, in HERO it is often best to sit back and think hard about what it is you are trying to do. When I read your power I thought that it is limited defence power. It works less often than the straight power, the trick then is to devise the limitation in a way that fits the power.

Doc

Hello, new to this forum, but not to champions or hero system, although a few things have changed since the last edition I saw. Played a lot of superhero champions and a few fantasy hero games in the 80's, and thinking about trying to introduce it to current pathfinder/D&D group. 

That said, I'm trying to make a power and not getting where I want to. I'd like my villain to be able to make shields as a blocking action (like, abort his next action) that are barriers. I can build the barriers (X rPD, X rED, Non-anchored, cannot englobe, instant, larger (+1 by +1 M), 1 Body, always same Red Hex shape). but I think making them is an attack action, and so he couldn't make them except on his attacks. 

Am I right? How could I build this? I'd like to make a slightly but not horribly annoying mini-boss, who can defend himself by making a wall that blocks the next attack shot at it; so if he builds a few walls, he can protect himself from attack from a few different directions. 

Hopefully I'm explaining this well enough; if not, please let me know. 

Thanks, 

Stel

In what way would buying Levels with Block, possibly with Costs END, defined as creating temporary force shields, not do what you're looking for?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests a Martial Art:

Block with Force Shield (Defensive Block): 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Block, Abort cost: 5

Bash with Force Shield (Defensive Strike): 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, 2d6 Strike cost: 5

In what way would buying Levels with Block, possibly with Costs END, defined as creating temporary force shields, not do what you're looking for?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests a Martial Art:

Block with Force Shield (Defensive Block): 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Block, Abort cost: 5

Bash with Force Shield (Defensive Strike): 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, 2d6 Strike cost: 5

It would not block say an area of effect line or cone, which I think the OP would want.  Furthermore, block degrades after each successful block.

Personally, I think a triggered barrier works best.  While the other methods can work they may not be what the person envisioned

• Using resistant defenses with a special effect allows damage to soak through, most notably stun which may not be what the OP envisioned.
  • Using block generally doesn't work on area of effects and degrades to failure the more attacks are targeting it.

Some other ideas off the top of my head

• Using reflection has many of the same limitations as block but it will affect certain area of effects
  • Using TK only for blocks with area of effect can work but will still degrade
  • You could summon "a wall" but you'd generally be limited to the number of walls existing at one time.  This is probably the worst build idea for the power.

I'm kind of trying to make him a little video-gamey; players can see the barriers, and react to them, by moving angle of attack to avoid, or accept that they may hit it, or use an indirect attack. He's got two summons, so I am hoping he'll be able to turtle a little and let his (weak) radiation ghosts do some damage when he's having trouble. 

I'm seeing his walls as very fragile (1 body) but fairly easy to make. 

I do agree, generally (especially in play) simpler is better, but in this case I'm trying both to learn hero better, and create a specific build just to gain understanding. 

If I'm reading you right, a basic barrier with some limits and mods will do what I want. 

If I'm reading you right, a basic barrier with some limits and mods will do what I want. 

Sounds like it. If you just want him to be able to Abort his next action to raise one, that's not a problem. If you want him to be able to raise one and still do something else (move/attack/etc) then you might want to think about Triggered.

• 2 weeks later...