The HERO system syndrome

jdounis

Which complication best describes you?

Probably the 10 point version, because it's been 20 years or more since I was in a steady HERO campaign, and also at the time I was an occasional Rep for R. Talsorian Games, and Tri-Tac Systems. All my private, and personal games were Hero, but I had to be conversant in other systems for conventions and such.

Though in the intervening years all my Knowledge skills are back to 8 or less.  (Not to mention the stat buy down...)

Geez, which one?  Most of my experience is SR2 with some SR1; I understand the system was radically revised a couple times since but I don't know what the differences are.

A bit of a long wait for a response, but Shadowrun 4 completely rewrote the basic dice mechanics, made defending against autofire attacks more consistent with the other rules, and a whole slew of changes that I thought made the game shine. SR 5 is like SR 4 with massively nerfed, well everything, but especially wizards. So far, I think Shadowrun 4 is the best version of the game published so far. Even better, removing the Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy setting and it makes a pretty good generic action game. A little tweaking and magic becomes psychic powers. A little more and you have a low-powered Star Wars game. There are still some warts, but it is a pretty good system overall.

Of course, anything Shadowrun can do, Hero can more readily do. Shadowrun is mostly for a change of pace, mechanically speaking.

Which complication best describes you?

I prefer the HERO System [Psychological Complication]: Situation Is (Common Intensity Is Moderate) 10

If it ain't HERO System, it's crap! [Psychological Complication]: Situation Is (Common Intensity Is Strong) 15

I am one with the HERO System, the HERO System is with me... [Psychological Complication]: Situation Is (Common Intensity Is Total) 20

I only have a 10-point complication myself but that might be because of skills:

11- KS: D&D Editions 2

11- KS: GURPS editions 2

11- KS: HERO System 6th ed 2

8-   KS: HERO System editions 1

8-   KS: ICONS 1

11- Conversation 3

11- Deduction 3

11- Persuasion 3

I definitely have the 20 point complication.

HM

I think some suffer from mental paralysis: special effect is presenting a gray areas of the rules and they are frozen trying to come up with the "correct" rule.

That and psy lim: Must overly complicate a build due to fear that the build doesn't account for every minute outlying once in a blue moon occurance.

So you're saying that casting a Light spell while Levitating in a Pit trap may cause extended mental paralysis? Sounds about right.

So you're saying that casting a Light spell while Levitating in a Pit trap may cause extended mental paralysis? Sounds about right.

I'm saying that people tend to forget that by RAW you sometimes build a power how close you can and then state the build works X even if RAW indicates Y.

• 6 years later...

Being someone that has ran several long running and successful campaigns I have to say that although I love the system it can be a chore to run a game with multiple players.  The character creation is also very flexible and creative but it can be intimidating to players concerning how to make a character.

Many people that are used to more limited systems like D&D as well as others will actually prefer the limitations because they are at least easier to grasp and make characters with.  It's also easier on the GM to run a game that is more rules light.  I ran a teen Champions game to quite awhile but when I ended it I picked up Castles and Crusades, a rules light D&D type and it was more relaxing.  Still, I will run a Hero System game again but only if the other players RTFM so I don't end up doing all the work.  That was one of the reasons I quit running the game after some time.

On 2/24/2017 at 9:28 AM, Hugh Neilson said:

I am not a fan of the Lucha Libre genre. That means I don't buy Lucha Libre Hero. Those who are fans of the genre will decide whether it is a good effort or a poor one (given the authors, I suspect it is stellar).

For what it's worth, Hugh, it was _absolutely_ stellar!

A bit long-winded here and there, and it had all that crap in the margins I dislike, but-  while in HERO tradition, there were _some_ organizational issues, it seemed to avoid any really bad ones.

(For What it is worth, I submit that a lot of those issues are because up to the latest edition, the overall walk-through rules layout still follows the pattern laid out in 1e, and that just.....   Well, it wasn't great.  We can probably let that go now.)