Falling off a horse

Steve

Would falling off a horse be treated as simply falling from an equivalent height as the horse or would It be calculated in some different way? Would it cause more damage if you are bucked off?

I'm not sure how much damage it might be. However, I've read many real life situations where people died from being thrown backwards off of a horse. How you land is as important as how fast you're going.

I might do it this way:

Make a Dex roll. If you make it, you take normal damage. If you fail the Dex roll, you landed badly and the damage is killing attack.

Bucking you off should do more damage for the height (another meter or two).

Having the horse fall on you would be based on the horse's weight plus velocity as a move through, for sure.  Horses plus barding is going to put you into the 800-900 kilo range, or around 5d6 damage plus V/6 for up to 7½d6 more damage.  Even standing still that's going to hurt, and then you have that much weight on top of you.  As a GM I'd probably rule you are 5 STR lower because you can't use leverage or all your body to lift the horse up and that's going to make you immobile if you're covered by the poor brute.

In real life, people fall off horses all the time and nothing happens. We are talking 2 PD 10 Dex normals. Obviously people can die, but that's a pretty distinct minority of situations.

If suggest that it be a relatively low DC attack that can be avoided entirely by an easy Dex roll (Dex check at +2 maybe). And then it's only if you really botch it, or unluck kicks in or something, that you would be in danger of more dice.

• 3 weeks later...

If you were bucked, I would use the STR of the Horse to do damage, after all they have effectively thrown the character to the ground. Breakfall roll to reduce damage.

If this happens at a gallop, I would do move-by damage instead. If unhorsed by a weapon, I would use those rules. (Generally weapon damage with move-by or move-through bonuses)

I'm not sure how much damage it might be. However, I've read many real life situations where people died from being thrown backwards off of a horse. How you land is as important as how fast you're going.

I might do it this way:

Make a Dex roll. If you make it, you take normal damage. If you fail the Dex roll, you landed badly and the damage is killing attack.

Breakfall skill. If the character doesnt possess the skil or fails the roll, roll a hit location to see what part of the character takes the damage. Falling on your head, neck or back/spine (vitals) in the wrong way probably wont go over very well.