Character can choose between two rolls?

Psillias

Question

So, using the Champions Complete Rulebook, under "Requires a Roll" is the option for "Character can choose between two rolls".  Searching the forums, this seems to indicate that this is between two skill or characteristic rolls which doesn't seem to add up since the two skill rolls seemed based on the same characteristic.  For example, choosing between Acrobatics and Breakfall for a Parkour power.  Would this not be the same roll?  Is this based on the various modifiers?  I'm a bit confused...?

Appreciate any input.

1 answer to this question

I can't comment on Champions Complete; I didn't write it and don't currently have a copy available.

In the 6E rules, the ability to switch between two Skill Rolls for a Required Roll is something the GM can allow. The unspoken assumption is, of course, that these two rolls will be fairly different. Logic, common sense, and dramatic sense all tell us that choosing two rolls based on the same Characteristic would generally be pointless -- the character would be getting 1/4 less Limitation for no real benefit. The example provided in the core rulebook, of a choice between Acrobatics and Danger Sense, is the sort of thing this modifier is intended for. The GM can certainly allow the choice you describe if he wants to, of course, but it seems pretty counterintuitive to me.

This might make a good topic for general conversation on the Discussion board -- I suggest posting it there, if you haven't already.