Free bleeding

GCMorris

maybe this would work.

Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6, Damage Over Time, Target's defenses only apply once (4 damage increments, damage occurs every three Segments, +3 1/2) (67 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (claw must do body; -1), Linked (Claw; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -1/2)

​Based upon the rules for bleeding (CC 160; FHC 187), I would build the power described as follows:

Bleeding Poison:  Blast (NND) 1d6, Constant (+1/2), Does BODY (+1), NND (Defense is Does Not Bleed or Immunity to Poisons; +1), Uncontrolled (Turned off by Healing BODY or a successful Paramedics roll; +1/2), Zero END (+1/2) (22 APs); Conditional (Claws must cause BODY; -1), Extra Time (1 Turn; -1 1/4), Linked (Claws; -1/2 if lesser or -1/4 if greater), No Knockback (-1/4), No Range (-1/2). Total Cost:  5 points*.

* thanks to rounding, the value is unchanged regardless of whether the power is lesser or greater than the claws it is linked to.

Yes, you are right to cringe at the thought of such a power. Tactically speaking, most combats will be over long before it has had a chance to have much of an impact on the outcome. However, it almost guarantees there will be no survivors (which may be highly inappropriate depending upon the nature of the campaign), and if the character has some means of stalling enemies indefinitely (entangle or invisibility for example) this power becomes much more dangerous.

If you do constant and uncontrolled, check also the character's speed.  A 1d6 Unc, con NND does BODY Blast maybe ok at speed 3 or 4, but at speed 6 or higher can be very devastating.  By the current rules, any stun taken ruins recovery, so the target may not recover during the turn.  You might also want it to turn off if it ever never rolls BODY (i.e. if they roll 1d6 and a 1 rolls up, it stops). 

If you do constant and uncontrolled, check also the character's speed.  A 1d6 Unc, con NND does BODY Blast maybe ok at speed 3 or 4, but at speed 6 or higher can be very devastating.  By the current rules, any stun taken ruins recovery, so the target may not recover during the turn.  You might also want it to turn off if it ever never rolls BODY (i.e. if they roll 1d6 and a 1 rolls up, it stops). 

Good point! I forgot to put Extra Time (1 Turn) on my example above (since bleeding normally only happens once per turn). I'll be editing my above post momentarily to reflect that.

A character (player) wants a bleeding effect linked to his claws to simulate a toxin which speeds up the bleeding. Would this be best done as a Body Drain and am i right in cringing at the thought of it?

I'd say you're right to cringe. Is this a PC-Villain game, maybe? No true hero would use an attack like that (none of mine anyway).

I'd say you're right to cringe. Is this a PC-Villain game, maybe? No true hero would use an attack like that (none of mine anyway).

No but its a slightly edgy campaign where death is a realistic possibility. The player has already stated that their character would be loathe to use the ability only in the most dire circumstances. Thanks for your input.

Does the power determine whether the character is a hero or a villain? Does the inherent Good or Evil of the empowered person somehow influence their powers? Or does a person obtain powers and assess how best to use them based on their own morality, such that a True Blue Hero could have deadly powers used only in the most extreme of circumstances?

Most Supers possess offsensive powers that could easily kill Normals and Thugs. Deciding when and how to use them determines whether they are Heroic or not.