Fantasy with science fiction

Ninja-Bear

I actually added a paragraph after I posted: 

Humans with undifferentiated psionic talent can learn elvish spellcasting, but, as an official from the humans' Psi Academy said, "We're not going to ruin a good psion with the elves' mumbo-jumbo!"  Talented elves could likewise, if they wished, learn human psionic techniques, but they mostly don't want to, and anyway their casters have access to spells that mimic many psionic abilities.  Dwarves don't seem to be able to learn elvish magic or human psionics, though either one seems to be able to interfere with runestone readings but not dwarvish navigation.  Non-psionic humans can learn dwarvish navigation techniques, though those are closely guarded (maybe less so recently given their contacts with the other races).  While the other races would like to learn about orcish FTL travel, this is more of an academic interest than anything else.

There was a Moorcock series whose name I forget, that was a blend. They had lances that shot energy, I don't recall a lot.

Ah, Google can be my friend. The History of the Runestaff, whose hero was Dorian Hawkmoon.

Could actually see that being a good setting for it. Set in a post-apocalyptic Earth, techno-sorcerors, that sort of business.

That said, Shadowrun is the closest I've come to running the mix.

I'm a long-time unabashed booster for the Savage Earth. Of all the fan-created Hero campaign premises I've seen on the Internet over the years, this unique world is by far the closest to being convertible to a published book.

I'd love to hear what you think of it. :)

After reading about a quarter of it, so far I am very impressed. I'll second your recommendation that people check it out.

Dean Shomshak

I have been thinking of mixing fantasy with science fiction for a long time. I haven't run it for anyone yet, although I've done a couple of solo games as a test run.

If you need miniatures, this Kickstarter project looks like it's going to be funded.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/9742092/psi-paladins-and-techno-barbarians-28mm-miniatures

They seem familiar somehow... :think:

;)

I've never been able to decide if Rifts is genius or an acid trip.

It was definitely a genius acid trip.

FWIW, Hero alum Sean Fannon just re-wrote Rifts for Savage Worlds, and it's actually balanced and makes sense. I got to play in his demo game a few weeks ago and had a blast. If you liked the idea of Rifts it's definitely worth checking out. (Plus easily convertible to Hero!)

I've considered doing post-transhumanist pseudo-fantasy.  

Almost all of humanity reached the point where they uploaded themselves in a geek rapture, now living in a vast computer distributed all through the planet's crust, leaving behind the living toys they created as they grew decadent.  Now those few uploaded intelligences who still like to play with their toys or even help them act as gods, able to control weather, volcanoes, the movements of the earth, what is left of the industrial and communication infrastructure in space, or activate old bioroid production facilities to make new life, but also the nanotechnology that permeates the environment, causing or fixing ailments, or even rebuilding bodies as they see fit.  Those few mortals who have been favoured by the gods as worthy of their continuing attention act as intermediaries, transmitting the gods advice and commands, and passing on the pleas of the mortals that might otherwise go unheard.  They of course are usually not very fond of those mortals who have gained the ability to independently access some of the powers of the gods, whether because they resent the infringement on their position of power by these witches and sorcerers or because they harbour fears that the gods will punish all for the trespass of a few.  Many of the toys left behind mimic the creatures of bygone mythology while others are attempts at originality.  And some are very dangerous indeed now that they are no longer closely controlled.    

I've considered doing post-transhumanist pseudo-fantasy.  

Almost all of humanity reached the point where they uploaded themselves in a geek rapture, now living in a vast computer distributed all through the planet's crust, leaving behind the living toys they created as they grew decadent.  Now those few uploaded intelligences who still like to play with their toys or even help them act as gods, able to control weather, volcanoes, the movements of the earth, what is left of the industrial and communication infrastructure in space, or activate old bioroid production facilities to make new life, but also the nanotechnology that permeates the environment, causing or fixing ailments, or even rebuilding bodies as they see fit.  Those few mortals who have been favoured by the gods as worthy of their continuing attention act as intermediaries, transmitting the gods advice and commands, and passing on the pleas of the mortals that might otherwise go unheard.  They of course are usually not very fond of those mortals who have gained the ability to independently access some of the powers of the gods, whether because they resent the infringement on their position of power by these witches and sorcerers or because they harbour fears that the gods will punish all for the trespass of a few.  Many of the toys left behind mimic the creatures of bygone mythology while others are attempts at originality.  And some are very dangerous indeed now that they are no longer closely controlled.    

The Dancers at the End of Time

One thing that has stopped me from doing a Thundarr tribute is magic. As in how to distinguish between Wizards who are horribly mutated and Sorcery which like Ariel are not mutated.

Thoughts?

Certain types of black sorcery have really horrible side effects.  Drains, KAs, Transforms, and Mind Control all must be bought with a Cumulative Transform side effect.

Alternatively, there is the Thundarr fan theory that spellcasters are actually aliens.