Jason S.Walters

New Kickstarter Project: Michael Surbrook's Ghosts, Ghouls, and Golems

A Kickstarter for Michael Surbrook's Ghosts, Ghouls, and Golems will be going live on March 10th!

"Ghosts, Ghouls, and Golems is a roleplyaing game guide to these darkness-dwelling creatures of folklore and myth for the Hero System, Savage Worlds, and Mutants & Masterminds. Emphasis has been placed on presenting these creatures as close to their traditional descriptions as possible - although a few “cinematic,” Hollywood-inspired versions of some of the more popular entries are included. In this book you will find information on vampires, lycanthropes, ghosts, ghouls, wights, and zombies, as well as more obscure creatures like the old hag and the witiko. In addition, there are dozens of "monster" sheets, each representing a basic creature template you can further customize as desired. Finally, there are a number of monster sheets for such infamous beings a Dracula, Jack the Ripper, and the Beast of Le Gévaudan."

It's currently up for feeback from fans on Kickstarter HERE should you like to offer your opinions.                                

Reprinted from the Kickstarter page--

I was thinking that perhaps you could include the Weekly World News' "mascot" Bat Boy among the Twentieth Century Terrors. I understand that he is in the public domain, and I believe he would add a welcome measure of levity to this book.

On a more serious note--since you're including Jack The Ripper, do you plan to include any other serial killers? They are, to my mind, the vampires of our era--and characters such as Norman Bates and Hannibal Lecter are as well known as Dracula or Lestat, and can be just as deadly. You could even include real-life killers like the Son Of Sam, whose belief that a demon possessed dog commanded him to kill gives him a supernatural element consistent with some of the other monsters you propose--including Jack The Ripper.

Hope that helps.

Reprinted from the Kickstarter page--

I was thinking that perhaps you could include the Weekly World News' "mascot" Bat Boy among the Twentieth Century Terrors. I understand that he is in the public domain, and I believe he would add a welcome measure of levity to this book.

On a more serious note--since you're including Jack The Ripper, do you plan to include any other serial killers? They are, to my mind, the vampires of our era--and characters such as Norman Bates and Hannibal Lecter are as well known as Dracula or Lestat, and can be just as deadly. You could even include real-life killers like the Son Of Sam, whose belief that a demon possessed dog commanded him to kill gives him a supernatural element consistent with some of the other monsters you propose--including Jack The Ripper.

Hope that helps.

At the moment, I am not going to deal with serial killers. Several of the ones you mention are not public domain characters (Bates and Lecter), while the rest could be troublesome to have character sheets for. If we hit 5k, I could talk to Jason about adding a section on serial killers, but that would be new material. As it is, 4,500 gets us Pathfinder and D&D 5e conversions.

This is probably not the right place to ask this question but:

I want to get the Ghoul tier (physical and pdf copies), as well as the Hero Designer Character Pack. I know I have to add $5 to do that, but I can't seem to see how. Any help?

So--does this mean Bat Boy is still a possibility? :lol:

Thank You for your answer. :thumbup:

Not really. I seriously doubt he's in the public domain, since Weekly World News is owned by someone. And even if he is, I'm not sure what do do with him. That said, I do have some "meme" creatures in the book.

We are at 68% and rising. If anyone knows of a podcast that would want to talk about the project (so we can get the word out) let me know.