• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jason S.Walters

Jason S.Walters

Hero Games CEO

• Administrators
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

A Kickstarter for Michael Surbrook's Ghosts, Ghouls, and Golems will be going live on March 10th!

"Ghosts, Ghouls, and Golems is a roleplyaing game guide to these darkness-dwelling creatures of folklore and myth for the Hero System, Savage Worlds, and Mutants & Masterminds. Emphasis has been placed on presenting these creatures as close to their traditional descriptions as possible - although a few “cinematic,” Hollywood-inspired versions of some of the more popular entries are included. In this book you will find information on vampires, lycanthropes, ghosts, ghouls, wights, and zombies, as well as more obscure creatures like the old hag and the witiko. In addition, there are dozens of "monster" sheets, each representing a basic creature template you can further customize as desired. Finally, there are a number of monster sheets for such infamous beings a Dracula, Jack the Ripper, and the Beast of Le Gévaudan."

It's currently up for feeback from fans on Kickstarter HERE should you like to offer your opinions.                                

#2 wcw43921

wcw43921

Occasionally Makes Sense

• 3,082 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

Reprinted from the Kickstarter page--

I was thinking that perhaps you could include the Weekly World News' "mascot" Bat Boy among the Twentieth Century Terrors. I understand that he is in the public domain, and I believe he would add a welcome measure of levity to this book.

On a more serious note--since you're including Jack The Ripper, do you plan to include any other serial killers? They are, to my mind, the vampires of our era--and characters such as Norman Bates and Hannibal Lecter are as well known as Dracula or Lestat, and can be just as deadly. You could even include real-life killers like the Son Of Sam, whose belief that a demon possessed dog commanded him to kill gives him a supernatural element consistent with some of the other monsters you propose--including Jack The Ripper.

Hope that helps.

Firm, united let us be,
Rallying round our liberty,
As a band of brothers joined,
Peace and safety we shall find.

"As The Crusader I pledge my services to my country and the cause of democracy.  I will champion the rights of the weak and the oppressed! I will fight crime and evil with relentless fury!"--The American Crusader, Thrilling Comic #19, August 1941

#3 Gangrel44

Gangrel44

Incompetent Normal

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

What's going on with the kickstarter? I thought it was going to begin today...

#4 MrAgdesh

MrAgdesh

Skilled Normal

• 116 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:00 AM

Ditto.

#5 Jason S.Walters

Jason S.Walters

Hero Games CEO

• Administrators
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

Sorry I'm running behind on this guys. It's almost ready to go, but I wanted to get the project *just so* before launching it. Jason Walters, Publisher

#6 Susano

Susano

Esper Weapon

• 26,098 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:09 PM

We're at 1,700 and rising! Keep it up!

Michael Surbrook

susano @ guisarme.net
Visit Surbrook's Stuff for all of your HERO needs.

"Provide me with ships or proper sails for the celestial atmosphere and there will be men there, too, who do not fear the appalling distance."

Johannes Kepler

#7 Susano

Susano

Esper Weapon

• 26,098 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

Reprinted from the Kickstarter page--

I was thinking that perhaps you could include the Weekly World News' "mascot" Bat Boy among the Twentieth Century Terrors. I understand that he is in the public domain, and I believe he would add a welcome measure of levity to this book.

On a more serious note--since you're including Jack The Ripper, do you plan to include any other serial killers? They are, to my mind, the vampires of our era--and characters such as Norman Bates and Hannibal Lecter are as well known as Dracula or Lestat, and can be just as deadly. You could even include real-life killers like the Son Of Sam, whose belief that a demon possessed dog commanded him to kill gives him a supernatural element consistent with some of the other monsters you propose--including Jack The Ripper.

Hope that helps.

At the moment, I am not going to deal with serial killers. Several of the ones you mention are not public domain characters (Bates and Lecter), while the rest could be troublesome to have character sheets for. If we hit 5k, I could talk to Jason about adding a section on serial killers, but that would be new material. As it is, 4,500 gets us Pathfinder and D&D 5e conversions.

• wcw43921 likes this

Michael Surbrook

susano @ guisarme.net

"Provide me with ships or proper sails for the celestial atmosphere and there will be men there, too, who do not fear the appalling distance."

Johannes Kepler

#8 wcw43921

wcw43921

Occasionally Makes Sense

• 3,082 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:00 AM

So--does this mean Bat Boy is still a possibility? :lol:

Thank You for your answer. :thumbup:

Firm, united let us be,
Rallying round our liberty,
As a band of brothers joined,
Peace and safety we shall find.

"As The Crusader I pledge my services to my country and the cause of democracy.  I will champion the rights of the weak and the oppressed! I will fight crime and evil with relentless fury!"--The American Crusader, Thrilling Comic #19, August 1941

#9 Black Rose

Black Rose

Cosmically Powerful Super

• 1,084 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:07 PM

This is probably not the right place to ask this question but:

I want to get the Ghoul tier (physical and pdf copies), as well as the Hero Designer Character Pack. I know I have to add $5 to do that, but I can't seem to see how. Any help?
Wilde: Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

RAH: Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

#10 Balabanto

Balabanto

The Classic Avenger!

• 4,131 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:15 AM

You click on the Ghoul Tier and set the pledge. Then manage your pledge and add 5 dollars to that amount. 

Hang onto your Hats, True Believers! Because the Brawling Balabanto is back in action. Many of you have forgotten how to say Excelsior! So I will say it for you!

Author: Foxbat For President, War of Worldcraft, Unkindness, Pretty Hate Machines, King of the Mountain, Imaginary Friends, Journey to the Center of the Earth

Hero Supplement In Production: Imperial Throne
On Deck: Legacies: The Campaign Supplement, because you demanded it!

Novels: Hellbow Rune, A Novel of Dark Fantasy

Novel at my Agent: Alison L

o right to all, and wrong no man.

#11 Susano

Susano

Esper Weapon

• 26,098 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

So--does this mean Bat Boy is still a possibility? :lol:

Thank You for your answer. :thumbup:

Not really. I seriously doubt he's in the public domain, since Weekly World News is owned by someone. And even if he is, I'm not sure what do do with him. That said, I do have some "meme" creatures in the book.

Michael Surbrook

susano @ guisarme.net

Johannes Kepler

#12 Susano

Susano

Esper Weapon

• 26,098 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

We are at 68% and rising. If anyone knows of a podcast that would want to talk about the project (so we can get the word out) let me know.

Michael Surbrook

susano @ guisarme.net

Johannes Kepler

#13 Urien

Urien

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

Sorry if I missed it, but ho many pages is it expected to run? Also dog ou have a layout sample you could post?

#14 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,680 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

Backed!

HM

#15 Steve

Steve

Hero Games Otaku

• 5,851 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

$581 left to go as of this morning. Ten days to go.
"We can rebuild him... we have the character points..." - Dust Raven

"He's a few neutrons short of a stable isotope." - Forum comment on zerohedge.com

#16 Steve

Steve

Hero Games Otaku

• 5,851 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

It's funded today at $4,015.
  • Netzilla and Hyper-Man like this
"We can rebuild him... we have the character points..." - Dust Raven

"He's a few neutrons short of a stable isotope." - Forum comment on zerohedge.com