Growth vs Shrinking

dsatow

Question

At one point in the Legion of Superheroes, Shrinking Violet's power was described as actually the ability to grow to human height from the nomal Imskian height of 1".  While I can create this in Hero 6th ed, I have a problem when she uses her growth in that she now has a rather large area of effect HTH attack 4m, an extreme reach, and a huge amount of running.  

Some ideas I thought about and rejected:

• Complication seems out since this only happens when she uses her powers.
  • It would set a bad precedent to have a side effect cancel out a complication.
  • If its GM fiat, then the player is paying a huge amount of points for very little in return.

So it would seem to be some type of limitation on the power.  How much of a limitation is it worth in a supers game?

1 answer to this question

If a character has a normal height of 1 inch, then first you build the character with all the abilities you'd expect for that size -- which includes selling back abilities to represent loss of capability, or simulating them with Physical Complications.

Then, to represent the character "Growing" to normal size, you buy whatever abilities you need to "counteract" what you lose or gain from "Shrinking," making sure to apply Costs Endurance if appropriate. For example, you might buy Change Environment (+12 to PER Rolls to see character), Side Effect (-12 DCV). You may need to work with the GM, especially when it comes to "turning off" Physical Complications, but it shouldn't be too hard to work out.

That's how I'd do it, anyway. Reasonable minds may differ. ;)