easier way to list (Radio Group) senses?

Franklin W. Cain

(First of all, I'm using Fifth Edition rules.) 

OK, so for a own variation of a "Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist" having a super-armor with zillions of different sensors built into it, I listed almost a dozen different specific Detects _JUST_ in the Radio Group. 

Now, I'm wondering how "legal" would it be if I were to instead boil them all down into just these two: 

* Detect Every Plausible Type of EMF Data (large class; Radio Group; passive)

* Detect Every Implausible/Ridiculous Type of EMF Data (large class; Radio Group; passive)

(Please note that I've already accounted for various Adders for Radio Group separately.  I'm talking about _JUST_ the Detects.) 

Would these two be enough? Our should I stick with the more complicated, more exhaustive list? What's your take on this quandary? 

Thanks!  ;-)

Franklin

It all depends on how granular you want to get.  If you were basing this on the Tony Stark from the movies you could build Jarvis as an on-board AI - Follower.  In that case Jarvis is actually the one with all the senses.  He just happens to share them with Tony when asked via the heads up display. It's very similar to How Green Lantern Rings have been portrayed.  I've even done a 5e and 6e version of this sort of AI/Follower split for GL. You can see the 6e version in the downloads section of this site.  The 5e version is available here, here and here.

:)

HM

I'd say it depends on how much benefit you see the character getting. Also there's something to be said for simplifying the characcter sheet.

To me it looks like, if you go for the two generalized Detects, you are possibly getting more than your points worth. But I might be overvaluing all the items you have listed separately.

So the short answer, if you're running the game and you think this is okay, go for it. If one or more aspects turns out to be especially prominent in play, you can always require it to be bought separately later.

Lucius Alexander

Detect Palindromedary Tagline

• 2 weeks later...

I think the existence of the advantage Large Class of Things implies economy of scale is built into powers like this. And characters should be able to take advantage of this economy of scale. It's an efficiency that can be taken advantage of by someone who wants to invest a bit more.

Look at it this way. Someone has invested extra points in a given schtick. It says to me they want to do this schtick. If it isn't unbalancing to the game to let them get a small discount, let them.