Ghost powers

GCMorris

Well if your doing 5th edition it's easy. Healing has a resurrection option if your gm allows it. You just declare your ghostly form has taken too much damage. and you have gone to the beyond. A couple of days later you have regained the strength to materialize on the Earthly plane but don't know whats happened in the interim. If your doing 6th I don't know if that option is still available.

Hey all. A new player was wanting to play a ghost. What are some ideas for power a and how do we treat his inability to bleed or die ? You know, being already dead and all...

Well, one way is by Regeneration with Resurrection, but you have to specify one circumstance that will spell final death - perhaps being successfully exorcised.

Or you could build the character as an AI. That could get expensive as you have to buy senses etc. up from nothing.

Lucius Alexander

haunted by a palindromedary

Flight. Due to being insubstantial. Probably not especially fast.

Fear.

Illusions.

Telekinesis. (Poltergeist style)

Invisibility, desolidification and life support are the basics. Unfortunately they burn a lot of points by themselves.

The first characters that come to my mind are Deadman, the Spectre and Gentleman Ghost. There are a whole bunch of others.

I used to use a character named Jake Spectre, who was a ghost-PI...one power was Change Enviro, NCC Haunted house effects, as any place he was, was haunted.

I used an EC, those don't exist in 6th, so Unified power might be the way to go...How many points of offense are you playing at?

Warning: Might be over powered for your game...

Desolid, Persistant

Invis

Mental Illusions

Images

Affects Desolid on STR, up to 20 STR

HA, affects Desoid, RKA vs Desolid (Only) E- Atk NND vs Solid (Ghost bullets) "Ghostly .45"

Flight, 12"

Martial Arts: Boxing

Undead: LS: no need to Breath, Eat, Excrete, or Sleep Immune to Disease/Poison, Susceptable to unusual, Vuln to Necromancy

That was most of the character. plus "PI" skills

He was a low power Ninja skill monger that could smash any Desolid Villian, though that seldom came up...Good luck, I hope this helps some.

• 2 weeks later...

If you GM allows it you can make an automaton out of your character.  Does NOt bleed, immortality, and regen with resurrection will cover it without needing to increase defense costs.

I don't think it's a good idea to make the character an automaton, but it may be a good idea to give the character some of the Automaton Powers.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that something can be an automaton without Automaton Powers, or have Automaton Powers without being an Automaton

I don't think it's a good idea to make the character an automaton, but it may be a good idea to give the character some of the Automaton Powers.

Yeah I guess that's more of what I was thinking, the GM could allow some automaton powers for the character.  "Does Not Bleed" is a pretty minor one in terms of campaign impact.

I've always liked this Multipower for 'Ghost characters':

Manifestation (don't have my books so I can't remember the exact cost - 60 or 80 I think)

Ghostform (Desolidification), no END, Persistent

Manifested Form (DR physical 75% + some rPD)

Basically it's a hero that is intangible most of the time but when they need to interact with the world they're still highly resistant to physical damage (still mostly 'phased out').

At first I had 'cost end' on the Manifested Form, to reflect effort in using it,  but it resulted in an interesting situation that when stunned or knocked out they weren't a 'ghost' at all.  Played around with time limit but couldn't get it working right in a pool (does switching the slot renew the time limit when you use it again (so not a limit at all), etc).

Depending on the nature of the game, definitely (it has a stop sign for a reason):  It would be devastating at 'street level'. That said it's a really expensive advantage that raises the DC of an attack so if you're playing in a game with DC caps it's going to be hit pretty hard as a serious attack.

At least as a raw damage attack, that is:  It does get scary if you use martial moves with it, like choke hold or grabs (the rules let it work but conceptually how WOULD one break the grab of something they can't touch? You can't exert force against them!). (And also for unlocking doors for your allies while Vipre agents empty clips against you trying to stop you as one player did in one of my games.  Solid 20 character point investment for any desolid-theme character.

I've gone that route as well, but the character in my example was also an energy blaster (spectral energy) - and while they did have a blast that could affect the physical world it wasn't going to slow down anyone with any kind of defenses, really, so the full active point limit blast was needed.  

Another cheap easy device to use is indirect with Strength to represent reaching through objects. Its still the range of your arms, but you can get inside things without going desolidified. want some cheetos out of the vending machine? I'll grab a few and drop them into the bin.

Ok I could be wrong but strength with indirect is illegal? Woukdn't TK and phy man. and feedback be.more legal. (Though more complicated by sure)

Or just a powerful enough mental blast.  Doing 30 stun to 20 stun mook would make them pass out from 'fear'.

Pre attacks fall into the category of 'mutually assured destruction' in my games - +30 presence can make most common enemies just flat out give up (to say nothing of +40, or even +50 if you're playing a 60 AP game).  And most heroes.  

One person used it one session before getting bored (along with the rest of the table, who were actively displeased).  Nobody takes it at an extreme level any longer as a result - mostly because it was dull, but partially in the hope that *I* didn't field such a villain to counter it....

Edited by DasBroot