gurps and Hero

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,632 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:50 PM

As a GM I have killed many a PC over the years using Hero System. In fantasy type games I can only think of one who was insta-killed. Most were killed by cumulative effect of wounds or from bleeding out. Not sure where the less lethal thing comes from.

Depends how your game is set up. A 8 STR goblin wielding a 1D6 dagger against a Knight in 10 rPD armor that doesn't use hit location or activation rolls equal no damage at all.
The main object of the game is for the players and the GM to have fun. Champions 3rd ed. Pg 130

#62 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,204 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

Depends how your game is set up. A 8 STR goblin wielding a 1D6 dagger against a Knight in 10 rPD armor that doesn't use hit location or activation rolls equal no damage at all.

Balance of DC versus DEF is critical in a game that doesn't have optional combat rules. As somebody who runs games only at the Heroic level (so far), I am well aware that a point or two (in either direction) off of the average can make a huge difference between a defending character laughing or gurgling in a pool of his own blood. The lower point your game, the more those variations make a difference.

So yeah, your setup is important, but a properly balanced Heroic game can be deadly. Optional combat maneuvers make it deadlier, but even lacking those, Heroic games are often deadly from attrition. That's not even accounting teamwork, multiple attacker bonuses, using terrain features and all the other unpredictable goodies that go with running a game.