NFL 2017 football

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#1 Pariah

Pariah

21st Century Schizoid Dad

• 15,132 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

The NFL free agency period has started, marking the beginning of a new league year.

And what a way to start things out:

The Browns just traded for Brock Osweiler, freeing up the Texans to chase Tony Romo

I did NOT see that one coming.

Sinclair: "No boom?"
Garibaldi: "No boom."
Ivanova: "No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow."

#2 Burrito Boy

Burrito Boy

Closet Chimichanga

• 2,244 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

No offense, Pariah, but this thread is dead to me. I will be boycotting football until the Chargers move back to San Diego. :mad:
  • Cancer likes this

RIP David Burton (1960-2011)

Kurt Wilcken's pulp web comic Hannibal Tesla

#3 Cygnia

Cygnia

Saint of Atheists

• 11,917 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

The NFL free agency period has started, marking the beginning of a new league year.

The Browns just traded for Brock Osweiler, freeing up the Texans to chase Tony Romo

This won't end well for the Browns...

#4 Enforcer84

Enforcer84

Imperial Viceroy

• 64,304 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:13 PM

Interesting. As bad as Brock Was....he won one more playoff game than either of the 2016 Superbowl contenders. 

I'm not sure he isn't better for the Browns than RGIII. But I'm not sure he's worse.

"Here's my favorite little fact. If anyone is ever described to you as a nutritionist, just be slightly wary, right? What they're saying may be perfectly true, but "nutritionist" isn't a protected term. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. "Dietician" is the legally protected term. "Dietician" is like "dentist", and "nutritionist" is like "tooth-i-ologist." - Dara O'Briain

2014: Hero A Day, 10 Year Anniversary Thread.
2009: Else Earth Gods of Olympus
Project 2006:
DC/Marvel Write up compilation
Project 2004:
Hero A Day Thread

#5 Cygnia

Cygnia

Saint of Atheists

• 11,917 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

So long as the Browns lack an offensive line, Brock's chances are slim...

#6 death tribble

death tribble

Lolth's Pet Mischief Maker

• 33,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

I want to say this now.

This year The Vikings will get to the Superbowl and win it.

That is all.

'We will Play Nice !' - The Society of Ben

The Tribble is angry, my friend, very angry.

People are strange when you're a Tribble, faces seem ugly when you're alone.

Dictator and President for Life of the Non Gaming Discussion Forums on Hero Games.

#7 Cancer

Cancer

Ontology oncology

• 50,022 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

Time for me to do a common dance these days: the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
  • Pariah likes this
... abnormal, non-Euclidean, and loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours.

#8 Pariah

Pariah

• 15,132 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

So long as the Browns lack an offensive line, Brock's chances are slim...

The Browns reportedly just spent more than $100M to completely retool their O-line

I'm not sure what to make of all this. This is the Browns we're talking about, isn't it?

#9 Cygnia

Cygnia

Saint of Atheists

• 11,917 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

Guess we'll see when they finally take the field again.

My husband works with Mitch Trubisky's dad -- I'm sure this gives him some relief that the Browns won't be drafting his kid. :eg:

• Pariah likes this

#10 Enforcer84

Enforcer84

Imperial Viceroy

• 64,304 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

Well the big free agent splash means they probably didn't see line help in the draft? I read the eye opening at the combine was on the LB side with amazing TE performances. We'll see what the draft brings. 

The Kitties are probably looking (Again) for DB help but they were uninspiring at the combine as a unit IIRC. 

The Browns reportedly just spent more than $100M to completely retool their O-line

I'm not sure what to make of all this. This is the Browns we're talking about, isn't it?

"Here's my favorite little fact. If anyone is ever described to you as a nutritionist, just be slightly wary, right? What they're saying may be perfectly true, but "nutritionist" isn't a protected term. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. "Dietician" is the legally protected term. "Dietician" is like "dentist", and "nutritionist" is like "tooth-i-ologist." - Dara O'Briain

2014: Hero A Day, 10 Year Anniversary Thread.
2009: Else Earth Gods of Olympus
Project 2006:
DC/Marvel Write up compilation
Project 2004:
Hero A Day Thread

#11 Pariah

Pariah

• 15,132 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

The Donkeys need serious help on their O-line. It'd help if C.J. Anderson could stay healthy for the whole year, too.

#12 Grailknight

Grailknight

Powerful Hero

• 1,065 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

Well the big free agent splash means they probably didn't see line help in the draft? I read the eye opening at the combine was on the LB side with amazing TE performances. We'll see what the draft brings. 

The Kitties are probably looking (Again) for DB help but they were uninspiring at the combine as a unit IIRC. 

Actually this year's combine rated  DB, TE, RB and DE as exceptional classes. The LB, DT and WR were average. QB and OL were considered weak though.

#13 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 42,046 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

Osweiler sucks.  When not pressured he has a QB rating in the 80s, so if the Browns can assemble an impenetrable O-line he'll be... a replacement-level QB.  When pressured he has a QB rating in the 20s.

This draft does suck for QBs, so why the Browns didn't make a serious play for Romo or even Kaepernick, I don't know.  I'm afraid to look at what they paid for Osweiler.

...and that's when the destruction began.

#14 Logan.1179

Logan.1179

Doomed

• 26,915 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

Because they're the Browns.

They have a reputation to maintain.

#15 Starlord

Starlord

I was STARLORD b4 Marvel stole my name!

• 9,420 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

First game on Sep 7.  Yay!  Only 6 months till men suffer injuries that will bring them lifelong pain and endure madness-and-suicide-inducing head injuries just for my entertainment!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#16 Vurbal

Vurbal

Unindicted Co-conspirator

• 3,437 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

And the Osweiller trade just gets stranger, and may actually be one of the most ingenious trades ever made. It seems Cleveland never intended to keep Osweiller. They supposedly never intended to keep Osweiller and plan to either trade or cut him. That would obviously leave them on the hook for any remaining guaranteed salary.

http://profootballta...brock-osweiler/

So basically, they bought 2nd and 6th round draft picks for whatever part of Osweiller's salary they're stuck with. The 4th rounder they sent back was change or maybe a tip. Either way, they figured out a way to buy a second round draft pick, and that's no small feat. It's also probably irrelevant, given that it is the Browns we're talking about, but it was still a creative idea.

No censor ever fails to say "I believe in free speech." In fact, here's a useful rule of thumb: if you are proposing a law or a rule, and you feel moved to defend it by saying "I believe in free speech, but . . . ." you are probably a censor.

- Ken White

I learned to say the pledge of allegiance

Before they beat me bloody down at the station

They haven't got a word out of me since

I got a billion years probation

- The MC5

#17 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 42,046 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

Yeah, I read that over lunch, and I laughed.  Osweiler had negative value in the trade; Houston gave Cleveland a second-rounder just to take him off their hands.  Observers expect the Browns to pay Osweiler his $16M and cut him, but you never know, they might let him compete for the job with Garoppolo or whoever they really get to play QB.  That too would be interesting to watch, in a mean kind of way.

...and that's when the destruction began.

#18 Grailknight

Grailknight

Powerful Hero

• 1,065 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:19 PM

Osweiler sucks.  When not pressured he has a QB rating in the 80s, so if the Browns can assemble an impenetrable O-line he'll be... a replacement-level QB.  When pressured he has a QB rating in the 20s.

This draft does suck for QBs, so why the Browns didn't make a serious play for Romo or even Kaepernick, I don't know.  I'm afraid to look at what they paid for Osweiler.

Romo will retire before going to a non-contender. 

#19 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,669 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:38 PM

Poor Brock Osweiler

- a follower of the evil Punxsutawney Phil, devourer of the media. - I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. - Ewokses is tasty. - Badger's Ewokhunters: Where freaks and outcasts can find a home. - HELP! I am in an eccentric orbit.

#20 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,669 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

I'd say it was good news

If it wasn't the Browns.

- a follower of the evil Punxsutawney Phil, devourer of the media. - I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. - Ewokses is tasty. - Badger's Ewokhunters: Where freaks and outcasts can find a home. - HELP! I am in an eccentric orbit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NFL, 2017, football