2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

The NFL free agency period has started, marking the beginning of a new league year.

And what a way to start things out:

The Browns just traded for Brock Osweiler, freeing up the Texans to chase Tony Romo

I did NOT see that one coming.

Time for me to do a common dance these days: the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Well the big free agent splash means they probably didn't see line help in the draft? I read the eye opening at the combine was on the LB side with amazing TE performances. We'll see what the draft brings. 

The Kitties are probably looking (Again) for DB help but they were uninspiring at the combine as a unit IIRC. 

The Browns reportedly just spent more than $100M to completely retool their O-line

I'm not sure what to make of all this. This is the Browns we're talking about, isn't it?

Well the big free agent splash means they probably didn't see line help in the draft? I read the eye opening at the combine was on the LB side with amazing TE performances. We'll see what the draft brings. 

The Kitties are probably looking (Again) for DB help but they were uninspiring at the combine as a unit IIRC. 

Actually this year's combine rated  DB, TE, RB and DE as exceptional classes. The LB, DT and WR were average. QB and OL were considered weak though.

Osweiler sucks.  When not pressured he has a QB rating in the 80s, so if the Browns can assemble an impenetrable O-line he'll be... a replacement-level QB.  When pressured he has a QB rating in the 20s.

This draft does suck for QBs, so why the Browns didn't make a serious play for Romo or even Kaepernick, I don't know.  I'm afraid to look at what they paid for Osweiler.

And the Osweiller trade just gets stranger, and may actually be one of the most ingenious trades ever made. It seems Cleveland never intended to keep Osweiller. They supposedly never intended to keep Osweiller and plan to either trade or cut him. That would obviously leave them on the hook for any remaining guaranteed salary.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/09/browns-will-trade-or-cut-brock-osweiler/

So basically, they bought 2nd and 6th round draft picks for whatever part of Osweiller's salary they're stuck with. The 4th rounder they sent back was change or maybe a tip. Either way, they figured out a way to buy a second round draft pick, and that's no small feat. It's also probably irrelevant, given that it is the Browns we're talking about, but it was still a creative idea.

Yeah, I read that over lunch, and I laughed.  Osweiler had negative value in the trade; Houston gave Cleveland a second-rounder just to take him off their hands.  Observers expect the Browns to pay Osweiler his $16M and cut him, but you never know, they might let him compete for the job with Garoppolo or whoever they really get to play QB.  That too would be interesting to watch, in a mean kind of way.

Osweiler sucks.  When not pressured he has a QB rating in the 80s, so if the Browns can assemble an impenetrable O-line he'll be... a replacement-level QB.  When pressured he has a QB rating in the 20s.

This draft does suck for QBs, so why the Browns didn't make a serious play for Romo or even Kaepernick, I don't know.  I'm afraid to look at what they paid for Osweiler.

Romo will retire before going to a non-contender. 

First game on Sep 7.  Yay!  Only 6 months till men suffer injuries that will bring them lifelong pain and endure madness-and-suicide-inducing head injuries just for my entertainment!

Nah, I'll be watching baseball for the next months, where we have a commissioner actually dumber than Goodell.  A man on a quixotic quest to shorten games AND increase offense (while also not reducing precious commercial time).   I have now said the unthinkable "I miss Bud Selig"  :jawdrop: