2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

11 hours ago, Enforcer84 said:

well our record is still respectable. And word among the r/panthers crowd is that new GM didn't want to extend old GM's pet project. 

It's amazing how much the sports business plays to the individual vanities of the management/ownership.

Yeah, they've made a big deal about Benjamin and Funchess being similar, and needing more speed on the field.   Maybe so, but apparently it hasn't registered to them yet, FUnchess is their most reliable (and only one resembling one) receiver now.  With a QB who tends to be erratic in passing at times to boot, especially when short on options.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Valid points. But the last time he played, Colin Kaepernick played his way into being the backup to Blaine Gabbert.

Looking back, I am not sure if Kaepernick was merely anything more than a fast QB-type who defenses eventually adjusted to, and he was incapable of making the next adjustment, consistently.

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

Valid points. But the last time he played, Colin Kaepernick played his way into being the backup to Blaine Gabbert.

A great counterpoint. But that has as much to do with coaching as player. Kaep really missed Harbaugh's play calling. 

But given the weird actions of their coach (and believe me when I say I suffer from OC WTF as much as anyone else) at the end of the game against the Eagles, it would be hard to compete with anything but a QB who is a pinnacle at his position. 

Also, it seems the Defense may have grown weary of trying to win games for an anemic offense.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Looking back, I am not sure if Kaepernick was merely anything more than a fast QB-type who defenses eventually adjusted to, and he was incapable of making the next adjustment, consistently.

Or he went from a good offensive-minded coach to one who lasted a single season and then another Coach who was a cult of personality and flamed out...

I'll also point out that in Kelly's 2-14 disaster Kaep started again and threw 16 TDs to 4 INT a feat Osweiller hasn't pulled off yet. 

I'm not saying he's an answer as most teams' problems are rarely solved with a new QB. (Except Indianapolis but all that did was turn one of the best QB prospects in history into ground beef.) But he is an adequate passer and good runner at the position. 

Also, Full Disclosure, I hate the 49ers with unreasonable intensity due to traumatic family life and held that against Kaep his entire career. If he plays somewhere else I wish him the best. I kind of do that.