Megacrusher, a 6ed Power Crusher tribute.

steriaca

Before I start on Megacrusher, I have to comment on Power Crusher. Boy does he have more Transfer powers than I remember. I only remember his STR to STR Transfer power. Before I begin doing this update, I really need to sit down and decide exactly what stays and what goes. SPD Drain goes. STR Drain/Aid stays. Planing on a Growth Drain/Aid (and a minimum Growth power), and a Density Increase Drain/Aid (and a minimum DI power).

So, what should I add to and subtract from him?

Anyways, I finished up with Megacrusher last night (thanks to an phone app with a copy of Classic Enemies upon it).

Megacrusher
Value Char Cost Roll Notes 
40.  STR. 30.  17-  Lift: 6,400 Dam: 8d6 Throw: 64m 
23.  DEX. 26.  14- 
30.  CON. 20.  15- 
10.  INT.  0.  11-  PER Roll: 11- 
12.  EGO.  2.  12- 
20.  PRE. 10.  13-  PRE Attack: 4d6  

8.  OCV. 25  
 8.  DCV. 25  
 4.  OMCV. 3  
 4.  DMCV. 3  
 5.  SPD. 30       Phases: 3,5,8,10,12 

26.  PD.  24.       PD: 26 rPD: 13 
24.  ED.  22.       ED: 24 rED: 13.
14.  REC. 10 
56.  END.  7 
10.  BODY. 0.       Death Threshold: -20 
44.  STUN.12

Characteristic Total: 247

Movement Box
Running: 18m/36m NC
Leaping: 20m/40m NC
Swimming: 4m/8m NC

Cost Power/END

20.  Power Crushing: Multipower 30 points, Limited Power (Must Grab First: -1/2) 
 2F.  Nonlethal Crushing: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4), Limited Power (Must Grab First: -1/2)/3 END 
 2F.  Lethal Crushing: Killing Attack - HKA +2d6, Reduced Penetration (-1/4), Limited Power (Must Grab First: -1/2)/3 END

160.  Power Transfer Gauntlets: Variable Power Pool 160 points 
 60   Power Transfer Gauntlets: Control Cost 80 Points, Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero Phase Action (+1), No Skill Roll Required (+1), Limited Class (Drains, Aid, Absorptions Only, And Only Physical Characteristics, Not Mental, And Aids Must Be Brought As Self Only, Drains Must Be Bought As No Range: -1/2), Focus (Two Power Gauntlets, Two OIF: -1/2)  

4.  Starting Level Density Increase: Density Increase (200kg, +5 STR, -2 KB, +1 PD, +1 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END: +1/2), Limited Power (Can't Use Till He Drains Density Increase From Another Person, And Can't Use Once All Points But Starting Points Are Gone: -1)/0 END
 19.  Starter Level Growth: Growth 25 points (Large Size Category, see page 223 of Champions Complete), Reduced Endurance (0 END: +1/2), Limited Power (Can't Use Till He Drains Growth From Another Person, And Can't Use Once All The Points But Starting Points Are Gone: -1)/0 END
 12.  Starter Level Extra Limbs: Extra Limbs, Alterable Origin Point, Inherent (+1/4), Variable Special Effects (Any Physical Growth Based Upon Powers Drained From Other People: +1/2), Limited Power (Not Usable Untill He Drains A Power Represented By Extra Body Parts, Like Wings, Claws, Tenticals, ect...:-1/2)  

20.  Miscellaneous Physical Powers Transferred Over: Variable Power Pool 20 points
 20.  Miscellaneous Physical Powers Transferred Over: Control Cost 20 points, Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero Phase Action (+1), No Skill Roll Required (+1), Limited Class (Physical Powers Only, Only To Buy Starting Level Powers Which Mimic Power Drained From Opponent, To Put Aid Into: -1/2)

4.  Special Armored Suit: Resistant (+1/2) On PD 13, Focus (Armored Costume, OIF: -1/2)
  4.  Special Armored Suit: Resistant (+1/2) On ED 13, Focus (Armored Costume, OIF: -1/2)
 10.  Special Armored Suit: Power Defense 10 points, Resistant (+1/2), Focus (Armored Costume, OIF: -1/2)  

6.  Mutant Speed: Running +6m (18m total, 36m NC)/ +1 END
  8.  Mutant Leaping: Leaping +16m (20m total, 40m NC)/ +1 END

Power Total: 351

Cost Skill: Roll

3.  Expert (VIPER)
  4   KS: VIPER: 14-
  4.  KS: VIPER Tactics: 14-
  4   KS: Who Is Who In VIPERs Dragon Branch: 14-

3.  Acrobatics: 14-
  3.  Breakfall: 14-
  3.  Demolition: 11-
  5.  Interrogation: 14- (16- w/SL)
  4.  KS: The Criminal World (INT based): 12-
  4.  KS:  The Superhero World (INT based): 12-
  5.  Power: Brick Tricks: 12-
  3.  PS: Guard: 12-
  5.  Streetwise: 14- (16- w/SL)
  5.  Survival: 12-

6.  +2 w/Grab, Punch, and Block

8.  +2 w/all Interaction Skills

Cost Perks

3.  Fringe Benefits: Dragon Branch Of VIPER membership

Skills And Perks Total: 72

Grand Total: 670

Complication (400)

Distinctive Features: Mutant (Easily Concealed, Noted And Recognized, Detectable By Technology/Powers):0

Hunted by UNTIL (As Powerful, Frequently, Capture): 15
Hunted by VIPER (As Powerful, Very Frequently, Watching): 10
Hunted by ARGENT (As Powerful, Infrequently, Watching): 0

Psychological Complication: Greedy For Money And Draining Powers Of Other (Common, Strong): 15
Psychological Complication: Bully (Common, Strong): 15
Psychological Complication: Dislikes Guns, Stemming From A Childhood Incident Which Killed His Younger Brother (Uncommon, Strong): 10
Psychological Complication: Gunslinger Mentality, Excerpt With His Strength (Common, Moderate): 5 (10)

Social Complication: Secret Identity (Gordon Donovan, Frequently, Major): (15)
Social Complication: Subject To Orders (Frequently, Major): (15)

Unluck: 3d6: (15)

Vulnerability: 1 and 1/2x STUN from Electrical Attacks (Common); (10)
Vulnerability: 1 and 1/2x BODY from Electrical Attacks (Common): (10)
Vulnerability: 2x STUN from Poisons and Gas Attacks (Uncommon): (10)

Distinctive Features: Gains Some Physical Cosmetic Properties Of Drained Victims (Not Concealable, Noted And Recognized, Not Distinctive In Some Cultures) (10)

Experience: 195
Background/History: Gordon Donovan was born to a pore rural family, the oldest of two boys. He was taught by his father and grandfather to 'be strong', which to them is to take what you want and use force to get what you want. It was no surprise to anyone that he would become a bully and criminal. His younger brother, Thomas, found his father's gun and shot himself to death at the age of three (eight for Gordon). This event help shape his disdain for guns.

Once Gordon became a teenager, his mutant powers started to emerge. Once he was fourteen, his advance physical abilities plus his ability to crush things and his upbringing made his choice easy. He quit school and became a super villain named Crusher.

When he was eighteen (having spent a few years in "Super Juvi"), he decided that he needed a team to help him. So, he joined VIPER. His father was a member at one time, so it was only natural that he joined and became a 'young Dragon'. He served loyally with VIPER, in spite his bulling nature. When he was twenty, he was presented with his first pair of power gauntlets and that hideous armored costume. Seeing that he became more than simply Crusher, he added the word Power in front of it and re branded himself Power Crusher.

As Power Crusher, he served VIPER faithfully. One day, during a fight with superheroes, a blast fused his gauntlets to his hands. When VIPER scientist failed to safely remove them, he went to ARGENT and they were able to do it at the expense of the gauntlets. Calling himself Crusher yet again, he was miserable without his 'edge'. Forcently for him, ARGENT came to him with a pair of revamped gauntlets, which they made him pay for (they ARE ARGENT after all). He was pleasantly surprised and decided to re brand himself yet again. Seeing how he was 'above Power Crusher', he decided upon the name Megacrusher. And he is still with VIPER.

Personally/Motivation: Gordon is nothing but a stupid, greedy bully. All he truly cares about is Strength and riches. What he really wants is getting rich with very little effort on his part.

He wants to be the strongest on the planet, and is willing to do almost anything to be and to keep that level of strength. Even kill the ones he can not drain.

He will kill as a last resort (or ordered to do so). He fells nothing about the act itself, but tends to think it is more trouble than it is worth.

Being a bully, he is disliked by most everyone, even in VIPER itself. Ripper wants to kill Megacrusher, and will only work with Megacrusher if ordered to do so. Few Nest Leaders like him. Because of this, he is usually assigned to do busy work or suicide missions. The only ones who can stand him in short amounts are Occolon, Freon, and Halfjack. This is why he only spent 3 points for the Dragon Branch membership.

Perhaps his only saving grace is his disdain for guns. He still have nightmares of his little baby brother playing with his father's gun. Because of that, he will grab and crush any enemies gun he finds. He makes a journey to his family farm each year on the anniversary of his brother's birthday and crushes stolen guns in his brother's memory.

Quotes: Your strength makes me stronger, fool!

Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself.

Your not afraid of me? Then you are of no use to me

Give me that thing now! Or else!

I can steal the strength of ghost. What makes you think your immune to it?

Powers/Tactics: Megacrusher's powers comes from his mutant bio-electrical field which makes him stronger, more healthy, and generally better than a normal person. Also, he is so strong that he can crush things in his hands. The bio-electrical field also allows him to use the Power Transfer Gauntlets created for him by VIPER and ARGENT. He can transfer various physical attributes into himself. He can sometimes even transfer abilities and powers which are physical which he does not possess normally. He can grow if others can grow, get heavy if others can get heavy, have multiple limbs if others had them, etc...

Megacrusher is not a smart man, but he does have years of experience. He usually focuses on transferring Strength of others to himself. Once he reached his maximum, he then focuses upon his defenses. If an opponent evades his grabs, he might switch to a strict drain via punching. And he could absorb blows (via Absorption) by putting his glove between the attack and himself.

Finally, I must talk about his costume. Besides being an eyesore of clashing colors, it uses Megacrusher's own bio-electrical field to protect him from being drained himself, transformed, and even normal damage, but only when he wears it.

He does have some limitations. While wearing his suit and gauntlets, he becomes vulnerable to electrical attacks which interferes with his bio-electrical field. And his mutant body makes him more vulnerable to poisons and drugs.

Quirks: Has a bad sense of fashion.

Believes strongly in the power of physical strength.

Has a soft spot for young children. Prefers not to hurt them directly.

Enjoys breaking guns by crushing them.

Believes that things belong to those with the power to take them and to keep them. Ownership is only given by those with the strength to keep them.

Campaign Use: Megacrusher might be to powerful for most campaigners. To water him down, you might reduce his Power Transfer Gauntlets VVP to about two 60 point pools, or maybe one 80 point pool instead. Or replace the VVP with a Drain and linked Aid multipower. You could also remove the second VVP (representing powers drained from others and taken for himself), remove his Growth, Density Increase, and Extra Limbs. If in the rare case of strengthening, you could remove the limitation requiring the Aid to be Self Only and/or buying Drain as No Range. You might decided to increase his secondary VVP (even tho it exists simply to buy 1 point of power so the Aid points can do there job). Or simply increase the first VVP. You might even allow him to buy ALL adjustment powers and/or even transforms (limited to person with power to person without power).

Megacrusher only hunts if VIPER wants him to do so. As a hunted, he does the most direct thing he can think of, which is a full force direct attack. He will fall back to bulling the hero if he can (and even if he can't).

Appearance/Description: There is one thing for sure, in dress alone Megacrusher will crush your eyeballs. His costume consists if a black hood type mask with the lower part of his face exposed along with his eyes, an orange top above a white stripe and brown bottom and pants, and finished with a red fist symbol in the center along with his red power transfer gauntlets. Outside his costume, well he is still an eyesore with loud hawaii shirts, loud prints, and colors which have no business being worn together. He has short brown hair, is usaly clean shaven, and has evil eyes of blue. When he transfers abilities into himself, his body tends to change apperance to match the stolen powers (for example, if he transfered some of Ground's strength into himself, he would grow two extra arms, and his skin would appear greenish).

Hi Steriaca,

I think you made a typo on the cost of the characteristics.  A speed of 5 would cost 30 points and an endurance of 55 (rounding off...) would cost 7.  My total for the characteristics was 249 but I did it by hand.

As for the two multipowers, they look fine as far as I can tell.  I have a couple of suggestions:

For the power transfer gauntlets should the drain/aid effects have a time adjustment?  The way it is currently set up Power Crusher would lose 5 points per turn.  Personally I would move the effects down one or two time increments.

The original Power Crusher could also drain/aid Dex and Speed.  Clearly that's up to you.  Given that he needs to grab to make the drain/aid work, strength is clearly the critical characteristic for the build.

In the original build to do a 12DC attack he would have to transfer a fair bit of strength first.  If the gauntlets are the source of the power transfer does it make sense to charge endurance for the powers?  Perhaps, in your version, the gloves also have an endurance reserve? 

Looks good!

Hi Steriaca,

I think you made a typo on the cost of the characteristics. A speed of 5 would cost 30 points and an endurance of 55 (rounding off...) would cost 7. My total for the characteristics was 249 but I did it by hand.

I'll look into my math. Thanks.

As for the two multipowers, they look fine as far as I can tell. I have a couple of suggestions:

For the power transfer gauntlets should the drain/aid effects have a time adjustment? The way it is currently set up Power Crusher would lose 5 points per turn. Personally I would move the effects down one or two time increments.

I redid it as a VVP dedicated to Drain, Aid, and Absorption with the maximum of 80 Active Points, but can do two effects at once. It seemed easier than the list of physical characteristics to Drain/Aid.

The original Power Crusher could also drain/aid Dex and Speed. Clearly that's up to you. Given that he needs to grab to make the drain/aid work, strength is clearly the critical characteristic for the build.

I originally did not want to muck with Drain SPD, but giving that what I finally decided to do, the option is back. Including Drain OCV or DCV.

In the original build to do a 12DC attack he would have to transfer a fair bit of strength first. If the gauntlets are the source of the power transfer does it make sense to charge endurance for the powers? Perhaps, in your version, the gloves also have an endurance reserve?

The original (via Classic Enemies) had no charges or reserve. I picture the gauntlets running off Crusher's own mutant bio-electrical field. But that is just me.

Looks good!

Thanks.

Hi steriaca,

I do not have Classic Enemies so I was working from the Enemies III version.  In that version the drains/aids do not cost end to use.  In your previous version I think Megacrusher had to spend end for this effect.  He (she?) might run into endurance problems early in a fight between using strength to grab, drain/aid and then using his augmented strength...  That was why I was thinking an end reserve for the power gauntlets might work.  The character might be more fun to play with endurance issues early in a fight...  :)

Anyway, I'm glad I could help.

Hi steriaca,

I do not have Classic Enemies so I was working from the Enemies III version. In that version the drains/aids do not cost end to use. In your previous version I think Megacrusher had to spend end for this effect. He (she?) might run into endurance problems early in a fight between using strength to grab, drain/aid and then using his augmented strength... That was why I was thinking an end reserve for the power gauntlets might work. The character might be more fun to play with endurance issues early in a fight... :)

Anyway, I'm glad I could help.

He could simply buy them as 0 END with his VVP now.

Minor suggestion - some extra meters of Leaping might be appropriate, given his strong legs.  I don't have CE in front of me, but I'm guessing the original version had decent Leaping based on his high STR.

Also, without the Expert Skill Enhancer, the VIPER KS's would each cost 5 points (2 for 11-, +3 for 14-).  So with Expert, I think each of those should cost 1 point less.

The +2 w/ all Interaction skills would make the Interrogation and Streetwise both 16-.

Question:  can MegaCrusher transfer other physical characteristics (e.g. Flight from wings, HKA from claws)?  If so, you may wish to increase the Pool but not the Control) of the smaller VPP, so he can transfer multiple abilities. 

Minor suggestion - some extra meters of Leaping might be appropriate, given his strong legs. I don't have CE in front of me, but I'm guessing the original version had decent Leaping based on his high STR.

Makes sence. I'll do something about that.

Also, without the Expert Skill Enhancer, the VIPER KS's would each cost 5 points (2 for 11-, +3 for 14-). So with Expert, I think each of those should cost 1 point less.

Thanks. When I can I'll fix it.

The +2 w/ all Interaction skills would make the Interrogation and Streetwise both 16-.

I think I did good giving him skills, considering Classic Enemies failed to do so.

Question: can MegaCrusher transfer other physical characteristics (e.g. Flight from wings, HKA from claws)? If so, you may wish to increase the Pool but not the Control) of the smaller VPP, so he can transfer multiple abilities.

I was expecting him to 'buy' thoes abilities at the low low cost of 1 Character Point (the bair minimum a Power can cost in Champions), then Aid them to be workable. This means he can buy a 0d6 Hand Killing Attack for 1 point or wings at 1 point and let Aid do it's job.

Might give him a separate Extra Limbs power which can only be used if he 'stolen' powers which repersent limbs.

Agree as to the inclusion of skills. They seem like a good selection for him.

As to the smaller VPP, if going the '1 point' route (so a 1 pip HKA or 1m Flight) that makes sense. I didn't consider that.

Yes. I consider stage two done. Stage three is to run the logic through the logic guys (Is his VVP feeding into limited powers VVP rules legal? If he switches slots in his Aid VVP, what happens to thoes points? Does the points fade like a multipower?)

Hi Steriaca,

As far as I know the rules allow you to keep the change from any adjustment power (aid/drain etc.) when the adjustment power is part of a power framework.  The change from the adjustment power degrades normally at whatever rate it normally dissipates.  

Which edition of Hero do you have?  If you have 6th edition book check out p139 of the first book.

Hi Steriaca,

As far as I know the rules allow you to keep the change from any adjustment power (aid/drain etc.) when the adjustment power is part of a power framework. The change from the adjustment power degrades normally at whatever rate it normally dissipates.

Which edition of Hero do you have? If you have 6th edition book check out p139 of the first book.

I'm using Champions Complete. The question was because the original Ninja Hero (for 4th edition) suggested that if Aid was switched in a Multipower, the points goes away instantly, and since VVP is a mega-Multipower...

Hi Steriaca,

The section I was directing you to in the big 6th edition books is very clear and it would allow the aid/drain effect to remain while the VPP is used for something else.  

The important thing is that you and your gm are on the same page.  If you are the gm then you get to make the rules... 

Hi Steriaca,

The section I was directing you to in the big 6th edition books is very clear and it would allow the aid/drain effect to remain while the VPP is used for something else.

The important thing is that you and your gm are on the same page. If you are the gm then you get to make the rules...

I am not a player or GM. I just doing a write up.

I'd love to play myself but that whole life and job thing gets in the way...

Besides, MegaCrusher needs a team around him. He is a bit of a one trick pony.

He does, in a way. He is a member of VIPER's Dragon Branch (which is there supervillain arm).

Plot Seeds

Gun Crusher: Someone is raiding the armory of nearby organizations and clearing them of all gun and gun-like objects. Only the local VIPER Nest is unraided (among a few others the raiders have not goten to yet). Megacrusher and a few like minded villains are responsible. In Megacrusher's case, he is gathering guns for his annual gun crush in honor of his brother.

Bully Pulpit: A large group of lesser villains have grouped together and lead by Megacrusher. Megacrusher is taking advantage of a "Dragon Tryout" to be in bully heaven (promising Dragon Branch membership and using it to boost his ego).

The Case Of The Purloined Mussels: A group of super strong superheroes goes to the heros. They are currently weak, and the only thing in common is they all faced Megacrusher some time in the past. Has Megacrusher found a way to permanently drain strength or to redrain the ones he drained in the past?

Megacrusher Overdrive: Megacrusher has been fiddling with his gloves and is now constantly transferring strength of everyone in a short area around himself to him, and he can't turn it off (or can he, and is he only making that excuse as an excuse to bully people around him)

Operation: Free Ripper: Ripper was captured and is being shipped for trial (or going to Stronghold). The local VIPER Nest Leader would rather have him free. He also dislikes Megacrusher and knows of Ripper's dislike of Megacrusher. So he orders many members of the Dragon Branch to free him, including Megacrusher.