Alcamtar

Unfriendly home page!

Just an observation. I was responding to a mother whose son is playing hero. She wanted to know about it, wasnt even sure if it was an rpg, and I posted a link to the website.

On mobile, www.herogames.com goes straight to the news page, a wall of text about random uninteresting (to a newbie) topics. Nothing about what hero is, or what its about. I could not find a page that said what hero games actually is. It presents a very off-putting and closed community. As if to say "if you have to ask then you're in the wrong place." The wikipedia page is a bit negative but more useful.

By way of suggestion, it would be nice to see a page that has some graphics, some text that "hero is a roleplaying game that does X and Y" etc. And maybe some ideas where to go for more information and what products are available.

While I agree that the site could definitely use updating, and making it more visually appealing would be probably be helpful, the "About" links in the banner at the top of every page does offer some of the sought-after information. It could be made more obvious, and the info on it isn't wholly up to date, but it is something.

I didn't see any "about" link on mobile. There is what appears to be a back button that doesn't go anywhere, and a button that brings up links to sign in, forums, store, chat.

Hmm... I use a PC, and don't know enough about Mobile devices to say whether that makes a difference. On my screen, just below the logo for "Hero System Sixth Edition" and the "Search" box, is a blue toolbar with, from left to right, "News," "About" (drop-down menu), "Store," "Forums," "Downloads," "Chat," "Client Area" (drop-down menu), "Contact Us," and "View New Content." I see that full toolbar on every page of the website, whether or not I've signed in.

I'm with Lord Laiden.  I use the full website all the time and have no issues. 

But I don't see Hero's mobile site as any less than pretty much every other mobile site out there.  Mobile sites are essentially bad by default across the board.  Hero's mobile site is actually pretty good for forum access which is all I personally care about.  I use the mobile forum access everyday and have never had any issues there. 

But if you do not like it's mobile presentation, just click the full site toggle on the bottom. 

The reality is that people do use mobile sites, so seems like it would be worth ensuring the mobile site opens with a page that assumes the viewer has not been here before and is not familiar with Hero Games.

Funny...the OP notes the presentation of "a very off-putting and closed community". Seems pretty consistent with the statement it " is actually pretty good for forum access which is all I personally care about".

I don't argue that it could and should be made better, only that there was something on the site related to the desired information. If I implied otherwise that wasn't my intent, and I apologize.

IJ3, can you tell if the "About" button in the banner toolbar is present on the mobile version?

For what its worth, this is how it appears on my phone:

This is what comes up for www.herogames.com:

Screenshot_2017_03_13_06_43_26.png

The icon on the upper right that says [<- News] does nothing.

The icon on the upper left opens a links "toolbar" with the following options:

Screenshot_2017_03_13_06_44_03.png

I mostly browse on a PC because I sit at one all day at work. Someone who learns about hero through social media is likely to follow a link on their phone, and get this.

Really, I personally don't care a whole lot. I doubt Hero gains many customers via drive-bys on the website, or via word on mouth on social media or websites. In this case the posting was on the Fudge RPG forum on Facebook, a site that is often browsed on phones, and was made by a person who already plays RPGs but had never heard of Hero. I posted a link and when I followed my own link, was a bit startled. So I followed it up with a link to the much more informative wikipedia article, which spends about half the article discussing past financial difficulties and entanglements, but at least gives an overview of what Hero Games is. Anyway I just posted here as a public service, since perhaps nobody noticed. if everyone's cool with it, I am too.

I want to thank you for making that posting. It was clearly meant in the spirit of constructive suggestion, and is something worth bringing to the community's attention. I for one had no idea the website configuration looked so different on Mobile devices. (My cell 'phone is an old flip-phone model which I literally only use for emergency calls.) -_-

Paizo( the publisher of Pathfinder)'s homepage is even worse in this regard. It doesn't even have a mobile version, and the main page is similarly designed to cater to its existing community, its "About Paizo" button it literally the small thing on the screen.

Regardless, it would be nice if Hero Games had a nice, artful splash page or banner advertising their current flagship products (Champions & ​Fantasy Hero Complete), and selling themselves a bit better. It isn't like the Hero System has a whole lot of market recognition anymore. Going straight into news is great for members of the community, but does nothing to capture the interest of those who stumble across the Hero Games webpage.

I agree. Although I've been playing the game since it was first put out, I always push to use the system for any genre'.  Imagine sending a new player to the site and finding out it tells nothing about the company or the system on the front page. Nothing of interest for attracting new players and purchasers of the system and supplemental materials except, 'Here's our book.'

So, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has noticed since the change from the OLD site, the look is... not enticing.  Obviously, I'm here to stay no matter what, but it's important that Marketing is not a second thought, but part of the product line itself.  Is there a way to have this easily altered/update to actually be more of a sales tool?

Cheers!