champions argent organization

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 winterhawk

winterhawk

Cosmically Powerful Superhero

• 707 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

The Human Resources Department would not only recruit employees and see to their welfare (a happy criminal is a productive criminal), but screen personnel in ARGENT's front companies for the right temperament and motivation to be inducted into the true corporation. Human Resources would likely also be the vehicle for "subcontracting" manpower from other criminal groups like VIPER and mercenary supervillains. They could also be responsible for acquiring the many human subjects ARGENT experiments on. I could even see Human Resources functioning as a kind of internal secret police, monitoring employees' loyalty as well as their productivity.

I've actually worked for a company that had a Human Resources Dept. that was very much the 'Secret Police' i.e. monitoring web activity, actually enforcing a dress code, etc. so you're analogy rings true.  I could see unsuccessful ARGENT employees becoming lab rats as punishment.

Referencing my earlier mention of ominous threats... 

"I'm afraid you've made too many mistakes, Director So-and-so.  Human Resources has been notified.  Expect your reassignment to be...unpleasant."

• Lord Liaden likes this

Now Venture will send Sampson after the rest of us, and he'll go totally sickhouse on our asses. I like my ass, gentlemen.

-The Monarch addressing his henchmen, Dia de Los Dangerous!, The Venture Bros.

Up yours, Zoidberg. Up wherever your species traditionally crams things.

-Hermes Conrad, A Clone of My Own, Futurama

Lets go be Bad Guys.

-Jayne Cobb, Serenity

You know, Monster Island and Milwaukee are a thousand miles apart. Monster Island means mutated lizards and bugs four hundred feet tall. Milwaukee means beer. And on Monster Island, they don’t take any crap, and they don’t take American Express.

-Tom Servo, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Mystery Science Theater 3000

#42 steriaca

steriaca

Misspellian Master

• 4,466 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:20 PM

Repo: To take back something owned by ARGENT for lack of payment.

Worksman's Comp: An order to hurt a target "to send a message".

Eather sent via Libary Computer or my cellphone. I do not own my own computer. Creator of bad spellings, and stuff both great and stuff only great inside my own mind. Warning: I may be published one day.

#43 steriaca

steriaca

Misspellian Master

• 4,466 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:23 PM

A PDF of Lord L's hard work on our behalf. nothing fancy, just the basics

Thank you, Tiger. May you forever be burning bright in the forest of the night.

Eather sent via Libary Computer or my cellphone. I do not own my own computer. Creator of bad spellings, and stuff both great and stuff only great inside my own mind. Warning: I may be published one day.

#44 freakboy6117

freakboy6117

Millennial Master

• 2,521 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:34 PM

This is fascinating.

I always picture ARGENT as the latest incarnation of a series of older sinister scientific cabals stretching back at least to the Victorian period if not earlier.

My UK version was the worshipful company of silversmiths (steam punk villains attempting to overthrow the establishment to create a rational technocrats society or at least that's the excuse for human experimentation on the lower orders)

I imagine them getting broken up by agents of the crown with a splinter group fleeing to the lawless western States of America.

Following an infiltration into the Manhattan project and some operation paperclip based recruiting they come out into the open as silicon Valley is exploding.

Eventually with all the new found corporate money they initiate a hostile takeover of the older European organizations.

#45 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,765 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:32 AM

This is fascinating.

I always picture ARGENT as the latest incarnation of a series of older sinister scientific cabals stretching back at least to the Victorian period if not earlier.

Glad you found it interesting. :)  FWIW the current official incarnation of VIPER has a comparable venerable history and similar focus to what you describe, essentially filling that role in the setting.

I think of ARGENT as presented in the books as a true product of the modern era, as it combines the worst excesses of empirical rationalism (human beings must be sacrificed for the true seekers of knowledge) and capitalism (human beings are to be exploited for profit by the strong and smart), with the most heartless efficiency of automated industrialism. ARGENT exists to build a better future, but only for ARGENT. The rest of the human race doesn't even rate consideration.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

- Maya Angelou

#46 steriaca

steriaca

Misspellian Master

• 4,466 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:11 AM

(Unofficial)Branches of magic ARGENT might be intrested in.

Alchemisty: The mystical forefather of the science Chemistry.

Numbermancy: By using mathmatical equasions, manipulate the universe.

Techomancy: By using boxes of metal, tubes, steam, and the elements, build things which manipulate the universe in spite of the fact that, scientifically speaking, it should not.

Crystalmancy: Using crystals and "vibrations" to manipulate the universe.

Geomancy: Using the position of things to manipulate the universe.

Again, the belief is that magic is a lost science. Reality might just prove them wrong.

While the main branch is focused upon Lemurian techno-magic, the Department of Magical Research is focused haphazardly upon the other more "scientific" branches, and getting almost no results (except for providing not so genteel teasing and providing not magical results they can sell to new agers and the like).

#47 steriaca

steriaca

Misspellian Master

• 4,466 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

(Unofficial) From the magical to the more mundain, lets look at some more acceptable hooks of ARGENT.

Tech Lords are a group of science minded teenage supervillains brought together and sponcered by in secret ARGENT in order to counteract Nova. (since I don't own Teen Champions, I can't even speculate on the individual members).

Punchdrunk is a former boxer and current mutant similar enough to Crusher/Power Crusher/Megacrusher that they decided to test there tweaked out power transfer gauntlets upon. Finding that his bio-electrical field was different enough that he could only assess the draining portion of the gauntlets, they were then redesigned as hi-tech boxing gloves which punch the strength or smarts right out of you. He became a member of the Department of Inhuman Resources.

#48 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,765 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

ARGENT's Legal Department probably won't be as focused on mundane contract law, case settlements, and the like, as would be that of a more legitimate corporation (although I'm sure their front companies would still require such services). I see Legal's job as more hiding the connections between ARGENT and its fronts; creating layers of plausible deniability between ARGENT management and any illegal activities; forging licenses and permits; falsifying environmental impact reports;  building portfolios of blackmail evidence (real or not) against public officials, or interfering heroes; creating false trails of evidence leading to scapegoats for their crimes, or implicating opponents they want to remove.

• bubba smith likes this

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

- Maya Angelou

#49 TheQuestionMan

TheQuestionMan

Septuple Millennial Master

• 7,858 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

HR is responsible for stationary theft what kind of stationary does argent have?

Life is not about having the right Answers. It is about having the right Questions. - QM

#50 steriaca

steriaca

Misspellian Master

• 4,466 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

HR is responsible for stationary theft what kind of stationary does argent have?

Why silver laced stationary, of course. It IS in there name after all.

#51 BoloOfEarth

BoloOfEarth

Smell? It Sphinx!

• 10,671 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

(unofficial, and mainly tongue-in-cheek)  As the co-leads of the Department of the Extra-Physical and Inconsistent-Logic Experimental Sciences (Ex-PhILES), David Mulder and Dana Anderson had the argument, or one much like it, a hundred times.

"There's no magic at all to Lemurian so-called techno-magic!  Take that, for example."  Anderson waved a hand at the crystallo lens on her desk.  "Just because current physics can't explain how the shape and composition of the lens exponentially increases the light going through it, doesn't mean there's not a perfectly valid scientific explanation behind it.  And once we figure that out, I'm sure we can find a way to mass-produce them.  Imagine a laser powered by a watch battery lighting a handful of LEDs, but using a lens like this to generate enough light energy to burn through armor plating!"

Mulder shook his head.  "It's always science and logic with you.  Stop trying to cram Clarke's Third Law down my throat.  The truth is out there!  Way out there!  And the sooner you accept that, the better!"

• Lord Liaden, steriaca, pinecone and 1 other like this

"Sometimes getting PCs together is like herding kittens...nuclear powered kittens at that." - phoenix240

"The Internet. It's like an idiot assembly plant." - Lawnmower Boy

#52 Christopher R Taylor

Christopher R Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 6,052 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

Argent?

• rjd59 likes this

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Two Kings Keep

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more                               Kestrel Arts on Twitter                           Kestrel Arts on Facebook

#53 steriaca

steriaca

Misspellian Master

• 4,466 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

Argent?

Argent is another word for silver.

#54 steriaca

steriaca

Misspellian Master

• 4,466 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

(Unofficial)And talking about another word for silver...

In one of the various "Backworld" dimensions (dimensions where the heros are villains and vica versa) ARGENT is an illegal organization dedicated to the benefit of there fellow men, and to stop the continued conquest of the world by PRIMUS, UNTIL, the Eliminators, the Champions of Darkness, amoung others. They usaly work with the liberation groups VIPER, ANGLE, The Crowns Of Glories, Professor Preserver, Lifestroke, amoung others.

#55 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,765 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

Actually, someone I corresponded with on the Champions Online website had a really interesting concept for a backworld version of ARGENT. For those unfamiliar with that part of the setting, the current official Champions "backworld," officially called "Left-Handed Earth," is much more than a place where roles are reversed. To quote Book Of The Empress p. 133, "LE Earth is just like Champions Universe Earth -- but everything is the opposite of what it is on CU Earth. The average person is left-handed rather than right-handed. The same languages are used, but they're spoken backwards. In a few cases, genders even change. The sun rises in the west and sets in the east. Evil, cruelty, treachery, and injustice are regarded as virtues (or at least, ordinary behavior), while Justice, hope, and charity are sinful. On LE Earth, things that are good on CU Earth become bad or dangerous; things that are already bad or dangerous on CU Earth may become beneficial... or just get worse." As examples of that, Foxbat is a competent and outright murderous villain, not a buffoon who thinks he's in a comic book. Teleios wants to end disease and genetic disorders worldwide, but governments and pharmaceutical companies who exploit the sick try to stop him.

That CO player's suggestion for LE Earth's ARGENT was that it pretends to be another of the legion of ruthless, money-grubbing corporations on the planet... but secretly disseminates the benefits of science to the poor and oppressed free of charge to try to better their lives.

• bubba smith likes this

- Maya Angelou

#56 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,765 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

Their tech is so high, they may not even use paper.

- Maya Angelou

#57 Lawnmower Boy

Lawnmower Boy

On the bench

• 3,155 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

Their tech is so high, they may not even use paper.

Then how do they print off their emails, smarty-pants?

Feh. Logic is overrated gibberish.

#58 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,765 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

Lord is right ARGENT wouldn't have a mystic department. It's not like their going to sell wands to DEMON. It would be in the special projects division with the alien spacecraft, time travel relics, and interdimensional portals.

ARGENT may have a department for the identifiable, weird, and un-classifiable stuff.  The fighting over trying to to research what the loot is and move it before the stuff kills you may be epic.   LOL  Most people would not want to be in the department.

The above raises an issue that needs to be kept in mind: ARGENT exists in a comic-book world. It's well known in certain circles on Champions Earth (and in the worlds of the mainstream comics companies) that there actually are alien spacecraft, time-travel relics, and interdimensional portals. In some cases a great many people have witnessed them in action, publicly and repeatedly. And on a world where such "weird science" is real and accepted, ARGENT is in the upper ranks of its development. This is a company that builds teleporters, anti-gravity transports, dimensional shunts and devolutionizer rays. Its classification of the scientific "fringe" is going to be hella smaller than in the real world. And what resources would be devoted to analyzing the few things remaining in that category would be directly proportional to the apparent likelihood of learning something profitably reproducible.

I tend to think that ARGENT's leadership accepts the existence of actual magic as separate from science, but views it much as Doctor Destroyer does: a force that can't be rationally analyzed or precisely predicted, therefore unreliable and dangerous to employ. Again, Lemurian sorcery resembles technology enough that further analysis would seem warranted.

- Maya Angelou

#59 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,765 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

Electronic paper. :P

- Maya Angelou

#60 steriaca

steriaca

Misspellian Master

• 4,466 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

"Paper" which is plastic printed by a 3d Printer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: champions, argent, organization