4 arms. Meant to post this in Hero System Discussion. Can someone move it please?

GCMorris

Extra limbs will cover being able to grab someone, and then on a new phase punch them while they are still grabbed. This is just a special effect anyway, really. You can already squeeze for Str damage after you've grabbed someone. Punching them shouldn't really cost any more points.

If you want something that is mechanically different than what you can already do for free, you may want to look at the Crush martial arts maneuver.

Extra limbs will cover being able to grab someone, and then on a new phase punch them while they are still grabbed. This is just a special effect anyway, really. You can already squeeze for Str damage after you've grabbed someone. Punching them shouldn't really cost any more points.

If you want something that is mechanically different than what you can already do for free, you may want to look at the Crush martial arts maneuver.

What if you want to add your HA to said punch?

I've always treated this situation as Multiple Attack - two arms to grab (or maintain a grab), and then a punch.

You technically get the -2 (? Can't remember the penalt) for a one hand hold, though - since the extra limbs write up basically spells out that it's a fluff power (hence 2 extra arms or a hundred costing the same) that might come up out of combat every once in a while.

I've had good luck using the trigger modifier to model characters who can do more than a normal person in a single action. In this case, adding a Trigger: When a grab maneuver succeeds to the character's hand attack would create the effect it sounds like you're looking for (plus extra limbs for the arms themselves, as others have stated).

You paid for extra limbs.  You can use your hand attack.

Hmm. I suppose that's not much different than buying extra damage classes with martial attacks and taking crush (both 4 per d6 at base) - except for the HA can be advantaged.  My knee jerk reaction was 'no' but it's a fair point.

You can probably do the multiple attack option but the target retains their full DCV until after the maneuver completes.

If you use the multiple limb method, you may also want to buy ambidexterity as all extra limbs are considered by default off hand limbs.

Personally I would write it up as:

Multiple limbs (X extra arms)

Ambidexterity (no penalty)

HA +Xd6 triggered (after grab), requires a to hit roll.

(side note: I have a villain who had this but the HA was also autofire 3)

I thought about it but for me, the damage shield was not target specific and would work on anyone touching the character.

only if you paid the points for it. Iirc as of 5th, damage at base level only goes off if you grab the target and must pay more if anyone touches you are affected by damage shield.

only if you paid the points for it. Iirc as of 5th, damage at base level only goes off if you grab the target and must pay more if anyone touches you are affected by damage shield.

If you bought a base damage shield and grab the person, the damage shield would go off and strike the person grabbed.  If someone tapped you on your shoulder while you were grabbing the target, you will do damage to the person tapping you on your shoulder.  If your teammate picked you up while you were grabbing the target, your teammate would also be hit by the damage shield.  That is why I would say that damage shield is not target specific.

If you bought a base damage shield and grab the person, the damage shield would go off and strike the person grabbed. If someone tapped you on your shoulder while you were grabbing the target, you will do damage to the person tapping you on your shoulder. If your teammate picked you up while you were grabbing the target, your teammate would also be hit by the damage shield. That is why I would say that damage shield is not target specific.

Thats not how I read it. If I have shock gloves defined as damage shield-grab and I attack a target and someonr grabs me, I don't see the grabber being attacked by my damage shield.

Thats not how I read it. If I have shock gloves defined as damage shield-grab and I attack a target and someonr grabs me, I don't see the grabber being attacked by my damage shield.

You would need to put a limitation on the damage shield for it to work that way, otherwise it works as Lucius stated

You would need to put a limitation on the damage shield for it to work that way, otherwise it works as Lucius stated

Well I stand corrected :-). So what value of a lim. only grab target be worth? -1/2 or -1?

Since someone grabbing/attacking you doesn't take damage and it only does damage if you initiate a grab, I wouldn't call that a damage shield at all. It's a hand attack that only enhances grabs.

OTOH, if someone grabbing/touching your gloves takes damage without you initiating the action, then that would be a limited form of damage shield (maybe lower it from +1/2 to +1/4). If it also works when you punch someone, then that's an 'offensive' damage shield, which costs an extra +1/4.