How would you build: Electro-rapier

Except that Blast is a Ranged power by default, so even if I were to go the Combined Attack route, I'd still need to add limitations that reflected that.

Otherwise the focus would be a sword that throws Blasts- which is still cool, but different.

Right now I'm leaning Damage Shield for simplicity/cost, though I'll stat out the other way. The player is new so I would like builds to be straight forward, hence my initial preference for Charges, though I'm going to take a hard look at Endurance Reserve.

I suggest you keep the sausage making to yourself and just give them basic info how it works.  How is he going to know when the charges will run out, does it have a little meter on the hilt?  If you run the END reserve etc, it makes the sword feel less like a mechanical device and easier for the new player, in my opinion.

Except that Blast is a Ranged power by default, so even if I were to go the Combined Attack route, I'd still need to add limitations that reflected that.

"No Range" is pretty easy. Damage Shield seems pretty pricy to work only when the character strikes with the sword (whether to Blast, HKA or both). Now, if there are a lot of weapons in the campaign, and the DS is taken to work whenever the character is armed with the sword, has the DS up and is hit by an opponent, HTH or with a metal weapon, on the basis he contacts the sword in the process of his attack, that could have some value to the character for the DS approach.

Actually, for pure simplicity, the charging could be built as +xDC to the Sword's KA, with the added SFX of changing it to energy damage.

With the lesser form of linked , you can.

I'm sorry, I don't follow. Linked by default requires one power to be the "greater" power and the other "lesser." You can use the former without the latter, but not vice versa. 

I haven't found a reference to a "lesser" version of Linked (I could be missing it; but even still that sounds off because a version of it that allowed the relationship to go both ways instead of just one direction (as it by default is) sounds like an Advantaged version, not a Limitation.

Please correct my error if I am mistaken.

I'm sorry, I don't follow. Linked by default requires one power to be the "greater" power and the other "lesser." You can use the former without the latter, but not vice versa. 

I haven't found a reference to a "lesser" version of Linked (I could be missing it; but even still that sounds off because a version of it that allowed the relationship to go both ways instead of just one direction (as it by default is) sounds like an Advantaged version, not a Limitation.

I believe he was thinking of the version of Linked which allows the "Lesser Instant Power" to be used in any phase in which a "Greater Constant Power" is in use... however that wouldn't be relevant as both powers are constant.

RAW with Linked you can:

Link the Lesser Power to the Greater Power, which requires that you to use the greater power in order to use the lesser power, but allows you to use the greater power without using the lesser power.

Link the Greater Power to the Lesser Power, which requires that you use the lesser power in order to use the greater power, but allows you to use the lesser power without using the greater power.

Jointly Link both Powers to one another, which requires that you always use both powers together. This form of Linked is represented by either taking the appropriate form of Linked on both powers (my preferred method, it is implied but not explicitly described by CC/FHC, and is presented as a variant rule in HS6th V1), or by increasing the value of Linked on the Lesser Power (generally to -3/4).

Regardless of the methodology chosen, the "advantage" of using Linked is that Linked Powers activate simultaneously with a single action (without using Combined Attack or Multiple Attack), and can be projected from the same origin point.

Well could be wrong cause I haven't got a chance to double check but I believe at -1/4 linked does what I think it does.

Well could be wrong cause I haven't got a chance to double check but I believe at -1/4 linked does what I think it does.

If either power can be used without using the other power, than they aren't Linked, they simply both originate from the same Focus.

The legal -1/4 versions of Linked include:

A Greater Power is Linked to a Lesser Power.

A Lesser Power is Linked to a Greater Power which is Constant (or in use most or all of the time).

An Instant Lesser Power is Linked to a Greater Constant Power, and can be used in any phase in which the Greater Power is in use.

A Lesser Power is Linked to a Greater Power, but it need not be used in proportion to the Greater Power.

One of the reasons I recommended Damage Shield for the electricity was so that anyone touching the blade would get shocked without any action needed on the wielder's part.  While not explicitly called out in the original post, it seemed a logical extrapolation of what was being described.  Without Damage Shield, the electricity only comes into play when the wielder initiates an attack.  If that's not a needed, then Damage Shield isn't needed.