Sad pet news.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,485 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

Visited my dad and step-mother today.  Found out since last I had been there a couple of weeks, one of their cats disappeared.

Basically, when they were coming home, and as soon as they opened the door, it went running out for whatever reason, and hasnt been seen since.  About a year old, it was a stray kitten , stepmother had found in a sickly state about 6 months or so ago and nursed back to health.  I guess it depresses me more than if it had been one of the others because it had been generally the friendliest towards me of all their cats. Liked for me to pet it, even would follow me around their house sometimes when I went from one room to another or the bathroom.

While I guess it some chance it is still alive, I would put the chances at extremely slim. It was partially blind in one eye, and probably a bit too gentle to survive long (and there was a coyote in the area a couple of years that pretty well thinned out the feral cat population before it moved on. And also one of their own cats that was partially an outdoor cat, which meant the other 2 partially outdoor cats became permanent indoor ones)  ANd it has been a week plus  with no sign.

- a follower of the evil Punxsutawney Phil, devourer of the media. - I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. - Ewokses is tasty. - Badger's Ewokhunters: Where freaks and outcasts can find a home. - HELP! I am in an eccentric orbit.

#2 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 41,771 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

:( That sucks. Is it possible to put food outside on the off chance it comes back? Or will that attract every other creature within thirty miles?
...and that's when the destruction began.

#3 tkdguy

tkdguy

Just me

• 23,681 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

Sorry to hear that.

Patron saint of sore feet, fury, and breaking things

:uranus: :whip:

Please visit Chris Goodwin's website: Unofficial HERO System Forum

#4 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,395 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:30 PM

Sorry to hear the news. I hope kitty finds its way home. I'll second Old Man's suggestion of putting some food out.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs

#5 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,485 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:00 AM

Well, she does tend to sometimes put food out for the odd stray around, to insure they wont starve (she knows not the best idea, but she is a little too kind hearted when animals are concerned, most of their cats were abandoned** or sick stray kittens, at some point).  So that is probably unlikely, if it hasnt shown up (and that thing might have still been small, but it was voracious).  More than likely it would have at least been spotted.  

** it being quite isolated of a spot, it seems it is easier for people's minds to dump and forget. Which is anger-inspiring in its own right. Two of ther current cats: One was found, on a Sunday morning limping, it was obvious it had been in contact with humans, and given its limping and the fact it only lets stepmom pick it up. We surmised it likely was thrown out of a moving vehicle (the leg did heal).  And another was found nearly eaten to death by fleas (it did clean up nicely, but to abandon it in such condition, well, it would have been more of a kindness to have shot it instead of leaving it to suffer from fleas that way.  I get a little human-hating when I dwell on those.

Thanks, for the comments though. 

- a follower of the evil Punxsutawney Phil, devourer of the media. - I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. - Ewokses is tasty. - Badger's Ewokhunters: Where freaks and outcasts can find a home. - HELP! I am in an eccentric orbit.

#6 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,509 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:28 AM

I have a deep seated anger towards those who abuse animals. I am sorry to hear about your favorite friend. I hope he/she returns unharmed.

#7 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,485 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:24 AM

Some semi-good news.  Went up there today (they had some illness last weekend) and they did mention they had seen her a few times, though they havent successfully coaxed her back.  She seems to have gone a little wild and hanging around with a couple of feral cats.  I was kind of surprised I really didnt expect she'd have the skills to survive long like that.  Even if she does end up staying wild, it does make me feel better.  When you do bond with something you hate to think of it getting ripped apart by something or starving to death.

And since she was spayed, no worries at least of her contributing to the feral pop.

#8 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,395 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:50 AM

Glad she's OK, Badger.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs

#9 tkdguy

tkdguy

Just me

• 23,681 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:16 AM

I'm glad she's fine.

Patron saint of sore feet, fury, and breaking things

:uranus: :whip:

Please visit Chris Goodwin's website: Unofficial HERO System Forum

#10 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,485 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:44 AM

Yeah, I guess she is still in a more dangerous situation being outside vs inside, but it is better than nothing/not knowing anything.  They did get close one time to getting it to come, but for whatever reason it got scared and bolted at the last second. 

#11 Zeropoint

Zeropoint

Millennial Master

• 3,962 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

Of all the animals that humans have domesticated, cats are the most recent and the least changed from their natural state. There's only a thin veneer of civilization over the primal cat, which is one of the reasons we love them. It'll be a rough, and likely shorter, life for that cat living wild, but she's obviously still the wily and versatile predator that we love. Live free, you little murder machine. :)

• Nolgroth likes this

I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I am for treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.