Fencer/swashbuckler

GCMorris

Well it all depends on how your defining tricks. If your talking about powers I tend to follow the route of the Swordsman from the Avengers with hidden studs on the sword that allow various things like Das Fencer and his blinding ray of light. Or it could be something unusual about the blade like how the Mad Turk could cover his simitar in flames.

If you mean odd talents with the blade, then you just need to think outside the box. For example flash can still be accomplished with really shiny blade, or the disad opponent must have cape, or high object on top of costume. "Oh dear monsieur, did your oh so scary shoulder spike fall in front of your face? Have at thee.". rka blade used in off hand as shield. Trip with sword.  Leaping use sword as a minipolevault.

Multiple Rapid Slashes: Hand Killing Attack, Autofire.

Strike Home!: Hand Killing Attack, Armor Piercing.

You Have Been Slashed: Hand Killing Attack, Penetrating.

Oh How The Light Reflects Off My Blade: Flash vs Sight Sense Group, requiers a light source (-1/4)

With A Swing Of My Sword, I Even Cut The Air: Blast vs PD, Gesturs, Extra Time.

The Flat Of My Blade: Hand-To-Hand Attack.

Building a sword guy and rather than making a ninja I have decided to make him a fencer. There is a fencing martial arts package in the 4e handbook but I need help fleshing him out with tricks. Any input is welcome.

Nothing wrong with fencer, but if you want a "Sword guy" and don't want a ninja, I thought I'd point out that other options include ancient warrior, gladiator, knight, samurai, and probably others I'm not thinking of.

As for abilities for a swashbuckling fencer type:

Movement:

Swinging! Probably want to carry your own swingline around in fact, in case there isn't a handy chandelier or set of ship's rigging when you need it.

Leaping, perhaps with Accurate for when you positively have to hit that one balcony.

Defense:

Do you have Combat Luck? If not, why not??

Triggered Flight with Position Shift that rights you when knocked down is useful.

You still need Breakfall, to mitigate damage from falls and being thrown.

Offense:

This is a comic book, not a formal fencing match. Consider maneuvers that aren't normally part of the fencing package and ask if you can get them.

Depending on what kind of comic book you're in, a sword as a Killing Attack may not be appropriate. Even if it is, you might still be better off with something like an electrified rapier that inflicts only STUN damage but goes through most defenses.

Other:

+1 Overall Level (or more) only if showing off for an audience (bystanders or allies, your opponent isn't an audience.)

Analyze: Opponent. Making the Skill roll by enough can give you extra DCV or even extra Overall Levels for use in a single encounter.

Lucius Alexander

Buckling a palindromedary's swash

A speedster with a rapier or epee might be a nifty change of pace.  Make the blade a super-strong alloy, and he could use it to deflect bullets and any other missiles sent his way.  He could also zoom in quick and do the old slice-the-belt-so-the-pants-fall-down trick.

Hope that helps.

May I suggest a Power Skill: Swashbuckling if your GM allows it.  It could be used as a Complimentary Skill for things like Acrobatics, Breakfall, Climbing, etc.  You could use it for the classic gags like swinging from the chandelier, leaping from a great height and stabbing something to slow the descent, etc.

If you're going for a classic look, may I suggest a gimmicked cape with a number of applications.  A weighted hem could be used for a couple of inches/meters of Stretching, no Fine Control, the shape of the cape could disguise the characters outline for extra DCV, and perhaps it's bulletproofed for a few pts. of Armor/Resistant Defense on an Activation Roll.