What spells would you give a somewhat mad wizard?

Manic Typist

One of my PCs will be a wizard/mad scientist type, but has not given me any ideas in terms of spells she would be able to cast.

So, I'll just make up some based on the faux-German accent and "DOOMship" expression the player kept mentioning (somewhat in jest but I believe true to the core concept of the PC).

I figure the main thing is that the spells should either be somewhat finicky, dangerous to allies, or both.

For instance, I imagine the PC releasing small elementals/golems onto the battlefield, but they don't really distinguish between friend and foe all that well. (Probably just an AoE attack without Discriminatory, special effect of these little devils jumping around and attacking things in the space).

Another spell might be one that turns another PC invisible, but there's a slight chance it will set them on fire instead/in addition.

Or a healing spell that could render a PC temporarily blind, or overcome with bloodlust, etc.

What sort of effects do you think of when trying to imagine a wizard ally who sometimes makes you wonder if you'd be safer if he was on the OTHER side...except that the other team (mostly) gets it worse than you do.

Bubbles of Pure Madness:​ 

Description:  This spell fills the area with a swirling nimbus of tiny, iridescent soap bubbles. Targets struck by these soap bubbles experience a sudden powerful hallucination which makes it difficult to discern reality from fantasy, make reasoned decisions, or remember important information for the duration of the spell. A great intelligence, a strong will, or protection from mental attacks can reduce or negate the effects of this spell.

Game Information:  Change Environment (-5 to INT Rolls; Target must make a INT Roll to make any sort of decision or process new information of any kind), ACV (OMCV Vs. DMCV; +1/4), Area Of Effect (8m Radius, Nonselective; +1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (40 APs); Conditional (For every 5 points of Mental Defense, reduce the penalty to INT Rolls by -1, if the penalty becomes -0, the spell has no effect on the target; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4). Total Cost:  20 points.

Author's Note: I've been watching too much Gravity Falls. Change Environment allows the user to force the target to make a Roll, but omits any guidelines for the result of failing such a roll. Therefore when writing such powers I base the effects of failing the Characteristic Roll are based upon the effects of Characteristic Rolls induced by being reduced to 0 in that Characteristic.

​Sometimes Fireball

​Description:​  This spell blasts the area with phantasmal flames which never harm the caster. The area affected by this spell is somewhat random, varying from 4 to 8 meters in diameter. In addition, 50% of the time the phantasmal flames created by the spell have no effect whatsoever; although the spell still looks quite impressive.

Game Information: ​ RKA (Energy) 2d6, ACV (OMCV vs. DCV), Area Of Effect (1d3+1m Radius; +1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (45 APs); Activation Roll (10-; -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Random Radius (see text; -1/4). Total Cost:  18 points.

One way to do it would be to take ordinary spells and give them very strange special effects like Armor of Mice and Rain of Spiders.  Typical mage spells which people recognize, but turned into something chaotic and strange.  Lightning bolt?  Not this guy.  He has scorpion stream, a hose of scorpions that cover and sting a target, then melt away.

How about this?

Another thing that can be done is all spells of a certain type have a limitation of 1d6 of unluck opper X number of dice of effect, up to 3D6, with the an added mechanic of  the GM rolling a secret roll for how "delayed" the unluck is for that by rolling 2d6 for the number of phases of delay, until the unluck event occurs, which could with unfortunate systems, stack  more than one d6 of unluck on a single phase. One could also play with the amount of delay, as well.  

Now I have this visual of a gadget that puts out a little drummer; and over time it summons a swarm of whatever local pests and rodents there are to fill the area. Over time it goes from being an mild inconvenience (OCV/DCV minuses), to an Entangle as it reaches up to your needs and chest, and finally to a form of Darkness/Killing attack as the swarm overpowers and devours you.

Not sure how to build it, but boyo does it fit with everything else.

Also, Armor of Mice made me think of the wizard turning an opponent's armor INTO mice, which then scramble away. I later realized you meant an armor made of mice.

weird limitation on the spells could be fun too.

the 'yes I can teleport all of us, but I need a ear of corn, a banjo and three black mice... wait is the moon a full moon... and each of you are going also need an empty wine bottle but no need for the banjo unless we are teleporting north of here.  Ok now here are the dance steps'

"The Usual Gang of Idiots."

A spell combining Drain and Change Environment with both Area Effect and Personal Immunity that both reduces INT and forces a -2 to INT rolls. Those who fail the INT roll in a given phase either spend the phase doing something idiotic or do what they were going to in some more idiotic way.

"The Lighter Side of...."

A light spell

"Spy vs Spy"

A Detect that alerts the wizard when subject to any form of scrying, divination, or magical detection.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary was hoping for a Berg's Eye View

Paranoid Wisdom.

Clairsentience that lets you hear voices in your head of anyone who is, (or will be), be talking about you. You don't necessarily know whether the conversation/s you hear are present or future.

Doppelganger.

Creates a duplicate which is player-controlled but has a different personality to the original PC.

The Squeezebox polka of DOOM!:  Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (64m Cone Explosion; +1/4), Penetrating (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (101 Active Points); OAF Bulky (Accordion; -1 1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Roll (Skill roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; casting; -1/4)

Lots of great ideas.

Thinking about this today, I was musing over the image a large metallic die the wizard could toss out. Nothing to look at, made of cheap tin, it could easily be a piece of tinkerer's inventory, except that when it's tossed out, it lands flat without tumbling and can't be moved.

Based on whatever side is facing up, every living creature in the room suddenly experiences a shift in gravity. Up, down, sideways - or suddenly pressing down with twice its normal force. Every now and then the box will pop up and change sides, changing the direction of gravity once again.

I've posted the PC over in my "Building the Party" thread, but here she is for those interested in the rough draft I built using some of your ideas.

VAL CHA Cost Roll Notes
8 STR -2 11- HTH Damage 1 1/2d6  END [1]
10 DEX 0 11-
13 CON 3 12-
18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-
20 EGO 10 13-
10 PRE 0 11- PRE Attack: 2d6
3 OCV 0
3 DCV 0
8 OMCV 15
8 DMCV 15
3 SPD 10 Phases:  4, 8, 12
6 PD 4 6 PD (0 rPD)
15 ED 20 15 ED (0 rED)
6 REC 2
30 END 2
13 BODY 3
40 STUN 10

Movement Cost Meters Notes
RUNNING 0 12m/24m END [1]
SWIMMING 0 4m/8m END [1]
LEAPING 0 4m 4m forward, 2m upward
FLIGHT 56m/112m

Characteristics Total: 100

Cost Powers
10 I'm an (evil) GENIUS!: Mental Defense (10 points total) - END=0
75 Variable Power Pool (Magical Gadget Pool), 40 base + 70 control cost - END=
0 1) Kindermauer: Barrier 10 PD/10 ED, 10 BODY (up to 19m long, 10m tall, and 1/2m thick) (70 Active Points); OAF (A bag of children's building blocks; -1), 4 Recoverable Charges (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 23 [Notes: A bag filled with a children's toys that when scattered assemble themselves into a large wall.
(Real Cost 23)] - END=[4 rc]
0 2) Jetpacks of (soulsucking) VROOM!: Flight 56m, Usable By Other (+1/4) (70 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x6 END; -2 1/2), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; Must be made each Phase/use; Piloting; -1), 6 Charges (-3/4), OIF (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Cannot Hover (must make at least a Half Move per Phase; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Leaves A Trail (-0) Real Cost: 10 - END=42
0 3) The "Eyes" Have It MuAHAHA!: Sight Group Flash 3d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (1m Cone; +1/4) (19 Active Points); 8 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances: Getting more blind eyes; Dessicated human eyes; -1 1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 6 [Notes: The wizard grinds up a dessicated human eye and blows the dust from her palm towards those whos vision is too limited to UNDERSTAND HER PLANS.
(Real Cost 6)] - END=[8]
0 4) Lecturing Phonograph: Mental Blast 2d6 (Human class of minds), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; Someone opens the musicbox; +1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Area Of Effect Nonselective (16m Radius; +1/2), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (target is unable to hear; All Or Nothing; +1/2), Constant (+1/2) (65 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2) Real Cost: 22 [Notes: This is a small phonograph that can be prepared to play automatically when opened. It plays a long, technical, somewhat disturbing lecture on a field of magical theory that will eventually force anyone listening to it unconscious - except of course for the brilliant intellect who gave the lecture originally.
(Real Cost 22)] - END=[1]
0 5) Armor of mice: Dispel Mundane armor 10d6 (standard effect: 30 points) (30 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (Enchanted cheese; -1 1/4), OAF (Mousetrap Catapult; -1), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 7 [Notes: This spell, if successful, transforms the wearer's armor into a swarm of mice which quickly scurry away.
(Real Cost 7)] - END=[1 rc]
0 6) Bubbles of Pure Madness: Change Environment (-5 INT Roll and all Skill Rolls based on INT, Target must make an INT Roll to make a decision/process information), Area Of Effect Nonselective (8m Radius; +1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (35 Active Points); OAF (Bubble Sphere Mark II; -1), 4 Recoverable Charges (-1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (For every 5 points of Mental Defense, reduce effect by 1. -0=Spell has no effect.; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) Real Cost: 10 [Notes: This spell fills the area with a swirling nimbus of tiny, iridescent soap bubbles. Targets struck by these soap bubbles experience a sudden powerful hallucination which makes it difficult to discern reality from fantasy, make reasoned decisions, or remember important information for the duration of the spell. A great intelligence, a strong will, or protection from mental attacks can reduce or negate the effects of this spell.
(Real Cost 10)] - END=[4 rc]
0 7) Polka Squeezebox of DOOM!: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (64m Cone Explosion; +1/4) (56 Active Points); OAF Bulky (Accordion; -1 1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; Complex; -3/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Real Cost: 15 [Notes: Real Cost: 21] - END=6

Powers Total: 85

Cost Skills
3 Deduction 13-
3 Inventor 13-
3 Scientist
2 1)  Science Skill:  Anatomy 13- (3 Active Points)
2 2)  Science Skill:  Chemistry 13- (3 Active Points)
2 3)  Science Skill:  Classical mechanics 13- (3 Active Points)
2 4)  Science Skill:  Steamtek 13- (3 Active Points)
3 Scholar
2 1)  KS: Mad Science (3 Active Points) 13-
2 2)  KS: Magical flaura/fauna (3 Active Points) 13-
2 3)  KS: Magical theory (3 Active Points) 13-
2 4)  KS: Things Better Left on the Drawing Board (Terrible magical inventions) (3 Active Points) 13-
3 Combat Piloting 11-
0 TF:  Jetpacks
3 Mechanics 13-
3 Forensic Medicine 13-
3 Electronics 13-
3 Cryptography 13-
3 Conversation 11-
1 Language:  Panalect (completely fluent; literate, Literate in an illiterate world) (5 Active Points)

Skills Total: 47

Cost Perks
5 Can Use Magic

Perks Total: 5

Cost Talents
5 Eidetic Memory
3 Lightning Calculator
4 Speed Reading (x10)

Talents Total: 12

Base Points: 250
Experience: 0
Experience Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 249

This character's Defenses (especially their ED) seem a bit high, also I'm a little worried about the survivability of a 250 point character with 3 DCV and no Resistant Defenses.

Am I missing/misreading something, or shouldn't the cost of that ED be 13 points (instead of 20)?

Also, why 5 points for a "Can Use Magic" perk? Isn't paying 75 points for their VPP enough of a point sink? I've never agreed with the idea of making players pay more to get less.

I built slate of example powers for the PC using the VPP; I'm envisioning he will choose to buy armor or other defensive abilities. Unfortunately he's been very non-responsive during the build process so I just hashed something out with little context to go on.

However, your point on DCV is well taken. I'm not sure how much I can do about it, given that the PC is meant to be an elderly, some people think she's senile, academic. Most opposition will be OCV 3-5, before modifiers.

I can double check, but I'm using the suggested maxima rules for Heroic level fantasy play, so I think maybe that's what you're missing? Or I messed it up. Originally HD had all maxima set to 999, so I had to fix that myself.

While I agree with you about paying more for less, I'm torn on this. I want to strongly differentiate between those who have access to magic and those who don't. Magic users are supposed to be very powerful, but checked by their rarity (and the fact that a bullet into your squishy bits is really bad for you). It also means that the PC can use magic items that require a user to have some power.

At the same time, maybe I should just drop it? I just want to discourage dabblers as that isn't really possible in this setting. It takes major, dedicated effort to learn the secrets of wizardry.

I wouldn't consider 75 points into a VPP a "point sink" - the PC is getting what she's paying for, and could do a lot of damage with it.

Behind the scenes, the PC is supposed to have a Multipower representing their sorcery abilities (all wizards are sorcerers first, it's a prerequisite). However I didn't bother to build that as the PC wants to be a wizard, so the idea is just that the PC will never use her sorcery until she can afford it. These 5 points could be a downpayment toward that.

Thanks for the food for thought.

I never use NCM (even in heroic campaigns), I usually just prohibit values outside the NCM range without an appropriate special effect. So you might be correct about its cost being due to NCM. 

I would suggest simply requiring that magic using characters spend a minimum number of points on magical abilities (such as 30% of their total points). That will prevent "dabblers" much better than a 5-point tax on magic. If somebody wants to learn magic during play, they have to save up enough XP to spend the minimum amount all at once. Narratively, the fact that magic is inborn is irrelevant to the mechanics of buying it. If they decide to develop magic later in game, than their characters either had the necessary talent all along and simply never had an opportunity to develop it, or you prohibit them from buying magic. As for rarity of magic, that is a narrative and world design element, it doesn't need a mechanical representation. Just make sure NPC mages are appropriately rare, and don't let everyone in the party play a mage (or develop magical abilities) and that will do the job nicely... It will also be important to roleplay the NPCs interactions with any magic using PCs appropriately. Nothing makes Magic feel commonplace like the rabble treating the PC mage like a common mercenary.

I didn't mean to imply that the VPP itself was a "point sink" in that the points were wasted, instead I meant to imply that 75 points is a heavy enough investment as it was without tacking on the additional cost of the perk.

We've already discussed my dislike of using frameworks to represent specific magic systems, so I won't cover that ground again... But at the very least I would drop the 5-point Perk and use the points to raise the characters DCV by 1.

Great stuff. I like the idea of just giving bizarre sfx to otherwise normal spells. And Side Effects - lots of Side Effects.

The area affected by this spell is somewhat random, varying from 4 to 8 meters in diameter.

That's just evil! (...he said approvingly.)

0 3) The "Eyes" Have It MuAHAHA!: Sight Group Flash 3d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (1m Cone; +1/4) (19 Active Points); 8 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances: Getting more blind eyes; Dessicated human eyes; -1 1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 6 [Notes: The wizard grinds up a dessicated human eye and blows the dust from her palm towards those whos vision is too limited to UNDERSTAND HER PLANS.

(Real Cost 6)] - END=[8]

In my last campaign, the Crazy Wizard PC collected eyeballs to use as spell components. Carried a melon baller and a bunch of ziplock baggies with her at all times. Would leave eyeballs laying around as Foci for Clairvoyance spells. [shudder] Creepy character, but very funny.

Unfortunately he's been very non-responsive during the build process so I just hashed something out with little context to go on.

Why is it the players who come up with the most wonderfully creative and open-ended character concepts are always the ones least willing/able to put in the time required to make their concepts work! I actually had to have a chat with one player in my current game who'd come up with a really creative idea for a Rune Magic VPP system that would've required significant player input between sessions throughout the campaign. After discussion, he agreed his workaholic schedule wouldn't give him that time, and decided to run something more fixed.