A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

I'm hungry but can't decide what I want. This is an eternal problem. It's especially bad when in a large but well-acquainted group of people for lunch. I've often thought of starting a business where people can just call, give me their parameters (likes, dislikes, what members of the group won't eat), then I come up (for a nominal fee) with THE ANSWER! This service would spread to many cities and be a boon to the bored bourgeoisie.

When I was younger, in my late teens and 20s, like many people, I looked "weird", embracing looks that I thought (and in some cases still think) were cool or interesting. As I've had to work a "respectable" job, that's gone by the wayside in many ways.

Today I was walking to Safeway (West Coast/I think also Mid-West now grocery chain) and along the walk (also going to Safeway as it turned out) were three younger people, one with green hair (but with subtle variations in the shade) and another with neat white hair with orange tips. I really wanted to take a good long look to get a better view, but of course just glanced and wanted to not be seen as staring.

I was thinking of how many younger people, including me back at that time of my life, think older people are disapproving when "staring" at them for their looks. But now I was thinking that it must be that on some frequent basis older people are just interested, not necessarily approving but also not disapproving, just looking. It's funny that's lost on so many younger people.

My grandmother rocks... I called her to wish her a happy thanksgiving... she mentioned trouble walking, and I voiced some concerns.

Her response was "It's just old age, dear."

I informed her that if it were up to me, she'd be around for another century. Her reply?

"Oh my. That sounds VERY tiring." ;)

One bright morning in the middle of the night

two dead boys got up to fight

back to back they faced each other

drew their swords and shot one another

A deaf policeman heard the noise

and came to kill the two dead boys

now if you don't believe my tale so tall

go ask the blind man down in the hall

He saw it all.

Isn't it amazing the #$$# your dad can put in your head that you can NEVER get out? :)

Originally posted by Hermit

One bright morning in the middle of the night

two dead boys got up to fight

back to back they faced each other

drew their swords and shot one another

A deaf policeman heard the noise

and came to kill the two dead boys

now if you don't believe my tale so tall

go ask the blind man down in the hall

He saw it all.

Isn't it amazing the #$$# your dad can put in your head that you can NEVER get out? :)

The funny thing is, my dad taught me that one too. No kidding.

We're not related, are we?

I used to be really irritated by emoticons and other abbreviations and onomotapeias, but I've realized just how far they go in setting people straight on intent. I thought I'd never really see it that way, but there you go.

The real point is, I find as I've aged I change my mind a lot more than I used to and see the world in many more shades of gray.