Perception Rolls and Characteristic Bonuses

Steve

Question

I'm designing a Heroic-level campaign and wanted to modify how skill and characteristic rolls were calculated in the characters. Instead of using the standard roll of 9+CHAR/5, I'm changing it to 6+CHAR/2 to allow for more skill variance in the human range of characteristics. I've been reading through the rules and wondering if I'm missing something.

According to page 7 of 6E2, "Every character’s base PER Roll equals 9 plus his Intelligence divided by 5."

I've been told by Simon in a question I had about Hero Designer that this Perception roll calculation can't be altered, per the rules, even if other INT-based rolls are changed to use a different base and characteristic bonus structure, like the 6+CHAR/2 setup I plan on using. I've read through Ultimate Skill, and it discusses that changing the Perception roll is a decision to be considered. I'm not seeing anywhere in the core books or the APGs that changing how it is calculated is forbidden or any more against the rules than changing any other characteristic-based rolls would be.

Since a skill like Stealth will be based on 6+DEX/2 in this campaign, I'm seeing a fairness issue with not being able to change the Perception roll to follow a similar structure to how Stealth will be calculated.

Am I missing something in the rules that makes an exception for Perception when it comes to how the roll is calculated? I realize it's a GM option thing to change how skills and characteristic rolls are calculated, but is there anything written in the rules that Perception rolls can only be calculated with 9+INT/5?

1 answer to this question