On August 21 a total eclipse of the Sun will carve a swath of destruction darkness across the continental US!  Get your ceremonial daggers ready.  Any HEROphiles in the vicinity?  What will you do?  Dive for cover?  Ooh and aah?  Take data?  Ritual orgy?  The options are limitless!

Eclipse-Times.jpg

In Boise I'm about 25 mi south of 100% maximum eclipse. I'm still in the 99%+ area though. I'll probably check it out and try not to blind myself.

It is not going to destroy any major cities ?

Bummer.

It's pretty close to St. Louis. Those folks will riot over just about anything.

In Boise I'm about 25 mi south of 100% maximum eclipse. I'm still in the 99%+ area though. I'll probably check it out and try not to blind myself.

It looks like it goes pretty close to St. Anthony in eastern Idaho. Am I reading that right?

Sadly, I think that's the week I start back to school. Otherwise, I'd make the four hour drive.

You live in Boise?  On purpose? 

;)

Right now I have some partly-formed plans to night over in eastern WA with some friends the night before, and drive into the totality path that morning. I would not try this anywhere except out in a rather sparsely populated area, which does, however, describe northeastern Oregon.

On August 21 a total eclipse of the Sun will carve a swath of destruction darkness across the continental US!  Get your ceremonial daggers ready.  Any HEROphiles in the vicinity?  What will you do?  Dive for cover?  Ooh and aah?  Take data?  Ritual orgy?  The options are limitless!

Eclipse-Times.jpg

Given the times, and being a 2nd shift worker.

I'll be sleeping (though the apocalypse)

So, all of you can wipe yourself out, and let the badgers inherit the earth.

My house is actually in the path of totality, from what I can see . . . and if I go north less than 10 miles, I'd be on the centerline of totality--so I'll probably take the day off work and just sit on my deck to watch it.

Another good one for the eastern US in the not-too-distant future will be in April 2024. Comes up from the Pacific stepping on Mazatlan, steps on Torreon, leaves Mexico/enters the US at Piedras Negras, clips Austin, steps on Indianapolis, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, goes a little south of Montreal, runs across New Brunswick and Newfoundland, then out into the North Atlantic.

With August in Washington, I might at least see a partial eclipse. I've seen plenty of lunar eclipses (those are easy), but so far it's been heavily overcast each day there's been even a fairly good partial eclipse. Every one in about 50 years.I think I saw one that was, like, 25% totality, big whoop.

At least I saw the transit of Venus. a few years back, so that's one notch on my astronomical-events belt.

Dean Shomshak

The last eclipse I attempted to view was in, I think, 1990 on Haleakala.  Totally socked in; I barely glimpsed a partial eclipse through the overcast as we were driving back down the mountain.  It was just one part of what turned into a three-day road trip/party with a dozen friends, though, so it wasn't a huge disappointment.

Biggest thing I remember was the Hale-Bopp Comet, mainly because my mother couldnt spot it (despite the local weather forecast given the direction to look towards evidently, more on that later**)  and I showed her (I hadnt really cared much about it, but I happened to see it that night on the way home. 

**I asked her afterwards where she had been looking, and she turned 180 degrees and pointed, I was then reminded of my mother's total lack of direction. *face palm*

Note: Before I was born, my parents went on a vacation to Florida, my dad entrusted my mother with road map/directions, let us just say it became an epic of family legend.  Mere mention of which will cause my mother to give one angry glares.