eclipse ritual sacrifice origin story astrology

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,523 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:12 PM

I was hoping it'd be nice and dark this morning so I could sleep in. Usually, the sun's in the bedroom window that time of day. Wife woke me up to let me know the eclipse I intended to sleep through was happening. Thanks, dear.

During the 1970 eclipse, my dad let me look at it through his welding hood. It was just as Nolgroth describes. A dark blob with a sliver of slightly brighter stuff around it, tinted in super dark green. All in all, not too impressive. On a later eclipse (probably just an annular one), when I was in grade school, our class made pinhole projectors. Shadow with slightly brighter edges. Again, not super impressive.

I figure there must've been thousands of photographers with high end gear taking better pictures than those of it, and from a better position, so I'll check those out this time.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs

#82 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,669 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:26 PM

Well, when I went outside, didnt seem the wildlife was out today, except for one bird flying around (and chirping crickets)

- a follower of the evil Punxsutawney Phil, devourer of the media. - I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. - Ewokses is tasty. - Badger's Ewokhunters: Where freaks and outcasts can find a home. - HELP! I am in an eccentric orbit.

#83 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,669 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:28 PM

Bah humbug. A bunch of people swarmed out into the parking lot, creating a road hazard and delaying my patrols. One of them was kind enough to lend me his protective glasses and it looked for all the world like a crescent moon with no stars in the sky. I did notice a distinct nauseous feeling when the eclipse was going on, but it cleared up when the whole thing was over. Not sure if it was physical, a psychological response to the eclipse or just a response to all the Lookie Loos interfering with my day. Come to think of it, might have been that breakfast sandwich I had earlier. :)

For me, it was not a big deal. I mean there is that it was some major astronomical event and all. But I didn't get superpowers and I did get nauseous. All in all, a trip to see a good movie would have been more exciting.

Well, I felt nauseous later, but that was because after last week's moving things around at work, and discovering a bunch of hidden mold, mildew, dust, and Lord knows what else, they decided to have cleaning day at work, with Lord know what chemicals.  So, for all I know, I merely suffered a mild chemical gas attack.

Note: Oh, and dead lizards, several dead lizards, poor bastards come in through the front and probably never find a way out.  I've caught my share and put them in a more favorable place in the woods out back, but I cant find them all in time.

- a follower of the evil Punxsutawney Phil, devourer of the media. - I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. - Ewokses is tasty. - Badger's Ewokhunters: Where freaks and outcasts can find a home. - HELP! I am in an eccentric orbit.

#84 tkdguy

tkdguy

Just me

• 23,740 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:11 AM

Overcast in my neck of the woods, so I watched the coverage on TV.

In case you missed it:

• pinecone and Cancer like this
Patron saint of sore feet, fury, and breaking things

:uranus: :whip:

Please visit Chris Goodwin's website: Unofficial HERO System Forum

#85 death tribble

death tribble

Lolth's Pet Mischief Maker

• 33,835 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:09 AM

So nobody was turned into goo ?

I just don't know what went wrong with that spell......

'We will Play Nice !' - The Society of Ben

The Tribble is angry, my friend, very angry.

People are strange when you're a Tribble, faces seem ugly when you're alone.

Dictator and President for Life of the Non Gaming Discussion Forums on Hero Games.

#86 wcw43921

wcw43921

Occasionally Makes Sense

• 3,148 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

Full Frontal Nerdity commemorates the event.  :rofl:

• Pariah likes this

Firm, united let us be,
Rallying round our liberty,
As a band of brothers joined,
Peace and safety we shall find.

"As The Crusader I pledge my services to my country and the cause of democracy.  I will champion the rights of the weak and the oppressed! I will fight crime and evil with relentless fury!"--The American Crusader, Thrilling Comic #19, August 1941

#87 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,609 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

So nobody was turned into goo ?

I just don't know what went wrong with that spell......

You forgot the Foxbat venom and Clockspider webs.

#88 mattingly

mattingly

The Digital Hero

• 7,458 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

The Superman Museum made sure he wouldn't suffer when the yellow sun disappeared.

835331710.jpg

• wcw43921 likes this

Dave Mattingly

http://www.davemattingly.net

#89 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,669 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:22 PM

*Looks at picture*

What the bleeping hell?  Why is there a statue of Clark Kent in a Superman outfit?

• BoloOfEarth and Pariah like this

#90 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 42,046 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:34 AM

I know right?  Clark looks ridiculous in that costume.  Who does he think he is?

...and that's when the destruction began.

#91 Cancer

Cancer

Ontology oncology

• 50,022 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:16 PM

Just got home from the trip, but yes, we saw it.

We took it in in just about ideal circumstances in a little town called Midvale, Idaho. I cannot say enough good things about that town. 2:06 of totality. Great overall experience.

One huge scratch off the bucket list.
  • Nolgroth, Old Man, pinecone and 1 other like this
... abnormal, non-Euclidean, and loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours.

#92 DShomshak

DShomshak

Skilled Normal

• 697 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:42 PM

I saw the eclipse from Western Washington using my homemade pinhole camera. Not spectacular; more exciting for knowing what was going on than for the view. But the day did briefly turn perceptibly darker. Some local birds got confused and started their dawn chorus again. Then I checked the driveway and it's true, the light shining through the nearby Douglas firs did act like hundreds of pinhole cameras, covering the driveway with eclipse crescents. Quite beautiful.

Two galling aspects:

1) I wasn't in the path of totality. I was for the 1979 total eclipse, but it was effin' February, and *heavily* overcast. (Though the clouds turned dark green, which was pretty cool.)

2) Watching the live news coverage of the eclipse as it crossed the country. Because the darn announcers *would not stop talking.* "Here we are in Oregon, there's only a sliver of sun left, totality comes in less than a minute! So let's turn away from the elipse itself and talk to this mayor about what his town did to prepare. Oh, it's totality! Instead of showing it, let's talk to these random people who are watching it. Because if we media people stop talking, we might cease to exist." Grr!

Dean Shomshak

#93 death tribble

death tribble

Lolth's Pet Mischief Maker

• 33,835 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

So if we got the news people to apologise to you Dean, would that be the Shomshak Redemption ?

• Old Man, tkdguy, DShomshak and 1 other like this

'We will Play Nice !' - The Society of Ben

The Tribble is angry, my friend, very angry.

People are strange when you're a Tribble, faces seem ugly when you're alone.

Dictator and President for Life of the Non Gaming Discussion Forums on Hero Games.

#94 Cancer

Cancer

Ontology oncology

• 50,022 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:06 AM

I didn't see totality in the Feb '79 eclipse: I had moved to Austin six months before to go to grad school. We got a bit of a partial there.

I was staying with friends whose feelings about TV are like mine: the set was used only by the kids, piping their Switch Zelda game to it so everyone could watch. Networks never got screen time.
... abnormal, non-Euclidean, and loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours.

#95 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 42,046 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:33 AM

I was on Haleakala for the '91 eclipse but it was socked in.  And it's frickin' freezing on Haleakala first thing in the morning.

...and that's when the destruction began.

#96 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,669 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:52 AM

Still it was only the 2nd partial I really got a chance at.  The other being in elementary school, where 2 "geniuses" in the class kept trying to look at the sun without protection. (a dark part of me almost wished it would have "worked"

#97 Pariah

Pariah

21st Century Schizoid Dad

• 15,125 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:57 AM

I was in rural Colorado for the 79 eclipse, and I vaguely remember it. My mom was teaching Middle School at the time, and one of her students brought a welding mask from his farm to school that day. My mom let the kids take turns to go outside with the welding mask and look at it. I know this because she probably posted the fact on Facebook the other day.

Sinclair: "No boom?"
Garibaldi: "No boom."
Ivanova: "No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow."

#98 mattingly

mattingly

The Digital Hero

• 7,458 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:36 PM

So if we got the news people to apologise to you Dean, would that be the Shomshak Redemption ?

"Get busy moonin', or get busy shinin'."

Dave Mattingly

http://www.davemattingly.net

#99 Cancer

Cancer

Ontology oncology

• 50,022 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

The only review that's needed
  • tkdguy likes this