Photo
- - - - -

Soliciting feature requests for next version (v1.10+)

Hero Combat Manager HCM Next Release Feature Set

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Features for next release (v1.20) (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Combat (Attack/Defense/END/Charges/Recovery)

1. Automatically Track END (7 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

2. Automatically Track Charges (7 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

3. Automatically Track Damage from Constant attacks (5 votes [17.24%])

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

4. Transform as an attack type (1 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

5. Presence Attack (5 votes [17.24%])

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

6. "Armor/Protection" that has 'required roll' as a limitation is automatically rolled (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

Optional Combat Features

1. Critical Hits (see Hero System 6th Edition Vol II. Pg 118; optional preference) (7 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. Fumbles (see Hero System 6th Edition Vol II. Pg 118; optional preference) (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bluesguy

bluesguy

Very Powerful Hero - Opinions vary :-)

• 1,096 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:26 PM

If you have other ideas please post them here.  Provide details about what you expect the feature to do.

Features that won't be considered at this time:

• Turning HCM into a tool for players to manage combat for their individual characters
  • Porting to a non-Java platform
  • Duplicating features found in Hero Designer.  This means you have to create your mooks in HD and export them.

David Tannen
bluesguy@davidtannen.com
http://www.davidtannen.com

Hero Combat Manager

#2 techogre

techogre

Skilled Normal

• 63 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:49 AM

A simple way to reset to Turn 0, Phase 12, and/or a way to set the turn/phase (e.g go back one phase).

#3 bluesguy

bluesguy

• 1,096 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

A simple way to reset to Turn 0, Phase 12, and/or a way to set the turn/phase (e.g go back one phase).

Do you mean undo?  As in reset the characters the way they were to a previous turn/phase?

Or

Do you mean, literally reset the Turn and Phase number and leave the characters in their current state but in the new turn/phase?

Those are very different things.

David Tannen
bluesguy@davidtannen.com

Hero Combat Manager

#4 techogre

techogre

Skilled Normal

• 63 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:17 AM

The first would be great (even one back step), the second would also work (GM could manually make any adjustments), or third, reset to turn 0 phase 12, reloading all the characters (maybe a popup asking if Body/Charges is also reset).

From a code POV, I think the second or third would likely be simplest. The first would require you to save all the character objects to allow the rollback.

Thaks for your time. :)

#5 bluesguy

bluesguy

• 1,096 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:24 AM

The first would be great (even one back step),

Undo is on the technology roadmap. I have thought about a number of ways to do this. All of them would require a major redesign of how I process 'commands' That doesn't mean it won't happen just not on the top of the list of things to do.

the second would also work (GM could manually make any adjustments), or third, reset to turn 0 phase 12, reloading all the characters (maybe a popup asking if Body/Charges is also reset).

Resetting to a past turn and phase would be easy. Resetting the characters back to their original state wouldn't be too difficult.

From a code POV, I think the second or third would likely be simplest. The first would require you to save all the character objects to allow the rollback.

Thaks for your time. :)

Yes 2 & 3 are simple.

Undo is a different matter. Yes saving all the character objects for every segment of combat can be done. That is the 'simplest' way to implement Undo. The problem with that approach is that it will use up RAM like crazy.  There are other ways to implement Undo that are lest memory intensive and may be allow for finer granularity of undo.

David Tannen
bluesguy@davidtannen.com

Hero Combat Manager

#6 Penthau

Penthau

Incompetent Normal

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:51 AM

I have a couple of characters that have endurance reserves. I don't have a way of tracking them in the system.

#7 bluesguy

bluesguy

• 1,096 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

I have a couple of characters that have endurance reserves. I don't have a way of tracking them in the system.

End Reserve is part of my backlog already.  After I get this version done (see above) I will look into End Reserve.  The big trick is to see if there is something in the HDC which identifies which powers go with which End Reserve.

David Tannen
bluesguy@davidtannen.com

Hero Combat Manager

#8 Penthau

Penthau

Incompetent Normal

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Another quality of life change I would like to see is that the inner windows on a window or dialog would change size when the outer window is adjusted. I tried changing the size of the main window so I could see more columns because I had made the NPC names too long (rookie mistake :-) and adjusted the name column width, but that pushed the last columns off the screen where they couldn't be seen. I expected the grid to change size with the window, but it didn't and I didn't see any way to manually change it.

#9 bluesguy

bluesguy

• 1,096 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

Another quality of life change I would like to see is that the inner windows on a window or dialog would change size when the outer window is adjusted. I tried changing the size of the main window so I could see more columns because I had made the NPC names too long (rookie mistake :-) and adjusted the name column width, but that pushed the last columns off the screen where they couldn't be seen. I expected the grid to change size with the window, but it didn't and I didn't see any way to manually change it.

Me too.  That one has been on my issue list since version 1.0.  I will move it up in priority - no promises.  Every attempt I have made just left me feeling inadequate as a developer because I couldn't get it to work.

David Tannen
bluesguy@davidtannen.com

Hero Combat Manager

#10 Penthau

Penthau

Incompetent Normal

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

Me too.  That one has been on my issue list since version 1.0.  I will move it up in priority - no promises.  Every attempt I have made just left me feeling inadequate as a developer because I couldn't get it to work.

That's the stage of development that I dislike the most, when you get down to the last bit of fiddling with the UI. 1 pixel makes such a difference in some places. :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hero Combat Manager, HCM, Next Release, Feature Set