Fallout Hero: Tri-State

AlHazred

I'm in the early planning stages of a Fallout Hero (post-apocalyptic) campaign I plan to run after my current Traveller Hero campaign is over. I've got a handle on the details, and have a knowledge of the setting from playing Fallout 1, 2, and 3 extensively; I will run through New Vegas sometime in the next year, so that will also be under my belt. The wiki is a great resource  for Fallout gaming, so I'm not too worried about those details. I've got most of the equipment worked out.

What I'm trying to get some input on is specific areas or locations for the game. I live in New Jwrsey (as do my players) so I'm thinking of running a Tri-State area Fallout game. That would cover New York City and the lower part of New York State, all of New Jersey and Connecticut, and parts of Pennsylvania and the Northeast. I'm thinking of making the area at least as big as that of Fallout 3, which covered DC, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware.

New York is going to be my DC equivalent -- mostly bombed to oblivion. I can easily come up with spot locations: a power substation, a strip mall, etc. What would you guys be looking to visit were you playing this game? Any specific cities or towns in the area? Are there any historically-minded people reading this who have a favorite location that would take special prominence in the alternate-retrofuture of the Fallout universe?

Thanks in advance!

I like that. I was already thinking of the following in the City:

• Chryslus Building (Chryslus is the big car manufacturer, making gas guzzlers like their popular Corvega, and apparently also nuclear-powered cars)
  • Empire State Building (possibly with airship dock at the top)
  • Public Library (because why not)

Outside of the City, I'm thinking of the following:

• Wardenclyffe (Nikola Tesla's testbed tower for broadcast power experiments)
  • Thomas Alva Edison Memorial Tower and Museum (because it amuses me to contrast the two; also Edison would be far more idolized in the Fallout universe)
  • Pine Barrens (largest old-growth forest in the Northeast)
  • The "Pink Palace" (IBM facility in Sterling Forest, NY -- which happens to be the forest where they hold the New York Renaissance Faire; it's also a backup and recovery facility that would have been stereotypical for the companies of the Fallout Universe, where I may adapt it for RobCo the Robot company)

I'm from the opposite coast and have spent very little time in your area, so I have few things I can suggest.

I expect you can do interesting things in former military sites, like Fort Dix and Philadelphia Navy Yard, and the three Electric Boat submarine-building locations in Connecticut.

There's the Three Mile Island reactor site, too ....

I have a soft spot in my heart for observatories and hard-science facilities. Van Vleck Observatory (Middletown, CT) is still used for research these days; Dudley Obs. in Schenectady isn't.

Brookhaven National Lab on Long Island is a famous place for nuclear and particle physics, and for almost everything else, there's whatever they are calling Bell Labs these days.