4, 5 or 6?

GCMorris

Why can't I build a Multipower of OCV, DCV and added DCs for swords as a ring of swordsmanship? +1 OCV for all combat costs 5 points if unlimited - it should not cost 8 because it comes from my IIF Ring of Combat Accuracy.

I suspect because it would violate a metarule in the case of extra damage because Deadly Blow and Weapon Master are the appropriate RAW rules for adding DC's.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't I build a Multipower of OCV, DCV and added DCs for swords as a ring of swordsmanship? +1 OCV for all combat costs 5 points if unlimited - it should not cost 8 because it comes from my IIF Ring of Combat Accuracy.

OCV and DCV are Characteristics, you can legally put them into a Power Framework. However added DCs cannot be...

Both Combat Skill Levels and Martial Arts Extra Damage Classes cannot be put into a Power Framework because they are Skills. Skills are classified as Special Powers (CC 50), and you cannot put Special Powers into Power Frameworks. Talents aren't classified as Powers at all, so they cannot be purchased through a Power Framework either.

The other method is to buy extra DCs of a specific power (or specific slot of a power Framework), +X​d6 Blast for example, outside of any power framework. No slot of a power framework can modify another slot of the same or any other power Framework, so even if you could purchase Extra Damage Classes (like Deadly Blow or something) inside a power framework, you would be prohibited from applying them to any other power bought through a power framework themselves (such as the HA of a Shield multipower, or the ammunition slots of a Projectile Weapon multipower).

OCV and DCV are Characteristics, you can legally put them into a Power Framework. However added DCs cannot be...

Both Combat Skill Levels and Martial Arts Extra Damage Classes cannot be put into a Power Framework because they are Skills. Skills are classified as Special Powers (CC 50), and you cannot put Special Powers into Power Frameworks. Talents aren't classified as Powers at all, so they cannot be purchased through a Power Framework either.

The other method is to buy extra DCs of a specific power (or specific slot of a power Framework), +X​d6 Blast for example, outside of any power framework. No slot of a power framework can modify another slot of the same or any other power Framework, so even if you could purchase Extra Damage Classes (like Deadly Blow or something) inside a power framework, you would be prohibited from applying them to any other power bought through a power framework themselves (such as the HA of a Shield multipower, or the ammunition slots of a Projectile Weapon multipower).

The added floating DCs provided by skill levels themselves are not RAW legal (especially considering the skill level build and pricing was itself based on a multipower). The Talents like Deadly Blow are +X skill levels, only for added damage, so we are effectively limiting a multipower. Those same skill levels do modify slots in multipowers, so that's also illegal as they are also slots in a multipower.

In any case, I am question the "policy why" - as in, how is the game improved by this restriction or approach. A rule that does not improve the game is a rule that should be tossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I have found that using 4th edition as a foundation and cherry-picking the most useful additions from 5th is a pretty good way to go.

The only reason to go to 6th edition, in my view, is if your players are constantly running into character build problems that only the 6th edition can address in a satisfying manner, and they are running into them so frequently and to such a frustrating degree that it is worth having to adjust to all the other changes you don't need, just to make use of the changes you do need.

One of the changes that helped sell me on 6th edition was Barrier. I always hated having to use AoE (Line) Entangles to produce permenant walls. The inconsistancy between that method and Force Wall was simply unacceptable to me. But I suppose very little is stopping a 4th/5th edition GM from stealing that power from 6th.

The added floating DCs provided by skill levels themselves are not RAW legal (especially considering the skill level build and pricing was itself based on a multipower). The Talents like Deadly Blow are +X skill levels, only for added damage, so we are effectively limiting a multipower. Those same skill levels do modify slots in multipowers, so that's also illegal as they are also slots in a multipower.

Using skill levels to increase DCs is explicitly legal by the RAW. Skill Levels are not actually a Multipower, they don't follow the rules for power frameworks because they have their own rules governing how they work and what they can apply to. The facts that they function similarly to, and that their pricing model may have been based upon, Multipowers is irrelevant to how the rules as written actually work.

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked at Green Dragon in CC: He has Dodging and Delfecting: + 4 w/Block only vs physical objects (-1). Netzilla & Cantriped a tip of the hat to you both. And now I'll use this as a default of -4. I'll use this power as a basis for "missile Deflection". Also for what's it's worth an old time hero player and friend remembers that in one edition, it mentions that missile Deflection can be viewed as a type of active Dodge. Active in the sense you have to make a roll whereas Dodge maneuver just adds to your defense-no roll.

So based on that new knowledge, here is what I have for Crusader.

Questionite Buckler: +4 OCV (3 cp) w/Block & Dodge OAF (-1).

One with Buckler: +3 OCV (2 cp). Note that if Crusader doesn't have his Buckler, he can't use these CSLs with his regular Blocking Ranged Attacks.