Area of Effect Mental Attacks

dsatow

Question

I think I know the answer to this, but just want to clarify.

An area of effect mental attack goes from OMCV to DMCV 3 and possibly hits all targets in the area regardless of their DMCV.  If a target dives for cover, their DCV is halved.  Is their DMCV also affected?

1 answer to this question

There’s really just the one issue here, since otherwise you’ve stated the rules as they stand, so I will rephrase it for clarity:

Q:  Can a character Dive For Cover to avoid a Mental attack, and if so what effect does Diving For Cover have on his DMCV?

A:  The answer depends on the type of Mental attack involved. In neither case does Dive For Cover affect the character’s DMCV (any more than an ordinary D4C alters his DCV).

1. A character can Dive For Cover to avoid a Mental attack targeted at him alone — but doing so only has effect if (a) he Aborts to do so, and ( a ) he Dives behind enough cover to block the attacking character’s Line Of Sight. In essence this signifies getting out of LOS before the attacker can make his attack. If the character waits until the attacker makes an Ego Combat Roll, LOS has been established and it’s too late to break it.

2. A character can Dive For Cover to avoid an Area-affecting Mental attack. If he gets out of the Area, the Maneuver has saved him and he’s not affected by the Mental Power. If he doesn’t, then he gets hit like anyone else in the Area.