There Can Be Only One - Best Album of 1976

18 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• 2112 (Rush)
    • Boston (Boston)
    • A Day at the Races (Queen)
    • Hotel California (The Eagles)
    • Leftoverture (Kansas)

See, there are people who have concluded that music peaked in 1976, with improvement before, and steady decline after, that year.

I consider that proposition proven, ans these next are not in the same class as the ones in the poll but they ain't bad....

Dreamboat Annie (US release of Heart debut)

Ramones (Ramones debut)

Live Bullet (Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band)

Tales of Mystery & Imagination (Alan Parsons Project debut)

See, there are people who have concluded that music peaked in 1976, with improvement before, and steady decline after, that year.

I consider that proposition proven, ans these next are not in the same class as the ones in the poll but they ain't bad....

Dreamboat Annie (US release of Heart debut)

Ramones (Ramones debut)

Live Bullet (Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band)

Tales of Mystery & Imagination (Alan Parsons Project debut)

This never would have happened if Bill Keyes was still alive!

I'll see your 1976 and raise you a 1986:

Graceland (Paul Simon)

Parade (Prince)

5150 (Van Hagar)

Licensed To Ill (Beastie Boys)

Reign in Blood (Slayer)

Master of Puppets (Metallica)

Slippery When Wet (Bon Jovi)

Control (Michael Jackson's Less Talented Sister)

Raising Hell (Run DMC)

Somewhere In Time (Iron Maiden)

Electric Cafe (Kraftwerk)

True Blue (Madonna)

Of those, I have to go with Boston, because though I love most of the other bands more, more individual songs struck me as I was reading through the list.

But my actual pick for 1976 would be ELO's "A New World Record".  I played the hell out of my brother's vinyl copy.

And one I didn't discover until, much, much later was Sabbath's "Technical Ecstasy".  Very underrated because it doesn't have any notable singles on it.

Of those listed: 2112, definitely.
Of those not listed: Tales of Mystery & Imagination, all the way.
Great album not yet mentioned: Jethro Tull - Too Old To Rock & Roll, Too Young To Die.

Definitely some good albums that year. But the idea that rock "peaked" during the height of the disco years is laughable (to me). See title of last album listed above for my feeling about those who view rock music primarily as an exercise in nostalgia. :tonguewav

Mrs. BDH's vote: "In terms of musical influence? 2112. In terms of cultural influence? Day At The Races. In my heart? Tales of Mystery & Imagination." Woman after my own heart.

Would have thought she already had it (your heart). ;)

I think 1976 was a high point in rock, but there have been others and before that year great points in music overall.  Each generation, I think, can point to the year the music was at its best.

Fair point. And apologies if my previous snarkpost came across as too dismissive. I just always find it amusing that each generation points to the year music was "best" and it just happens to be when that generation was in their teens to early-20s. Almost like it's less about the music itself, and more about you. Today's music can never be as good, because it doesn't make you feel like you're 17 again.

And holding up 1976 is particularly ironic, because I remember everyone in the mid-70s bemoaning "the death of rock n roll" because disco had taken over everything.

Having been born with a defective nostalgia gene myself, for me the year rock music peaked so far is 2017. Because we still have Rush, and Queen, and the Beatles, and Chuck Berry, and all those; I can listen to them any time I want. But now we also have Springsteen, and U2, and Madonna, and Pearl Jam, and No Doubt, and Afro Celt Sound System, and Ok Go, and the Black Keys, and Janelle Monae, and Florence and the Machine, and and and and. Every year, the catalogue gets bigger and better, and thanks to the Internet, streaming services, and so forth, it's never been easier to find new music you like. Next year's going to be even better in ways we can't even predict; someone will release something new and awesome that will Blow My Socks Off. Can't wait.

Besides, nowadays I have more money to buy more music with. :)

Songs in the Key of Life (Stevie Wonder)

Agents of Fortune (Blue Oyster Cult)

The Royal Scam (Steely Dan)

Presence (Led Zeppelin)

Wanted! The Outlaws (Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, etc)

Songs in the Key of Life.....Because Stevie is a musical GENUIS, man!!