ToH Red Regional Finals: Wally West vs. Wonder Woman!

Pariah

17 members have voted

1. 1. And the Red Regional Champion is....

WW vs. WW for the Red Regional Title!

R2%20The%20Flash%20Wally_zpswgrtsogg.png     R4%20Wonder%20Woman_zpsvhce9t2x.png

Wally West (2) vs. Wonder Woman (4)

Venue: Newburgh City Center

The winner of this match will face the White Regional champion in the Final Foursome!  Voting closes Friday, April 21st at 5:00 p.m. EDT.

Wally has a lot of flexibility and options Barry lacks. For instance, he uses accelerated perception a fair bit more, and his Speed Force mastery gives him big advantages against other speedsters.

I can't see Wally losing this. Wonder Woman has great reaction speeds, superhuman in fact, but she still might as well be standing still. And Wally has the options to get past near-invulnerability.

On the other hand, Wally has a great weakness for a pretty face, and has always had a crush on WW.

He's not the only one, based on the early voting trend. :)

Seriously. She's a statue. Literally if he wants (I looked it up: it's Wally that can siphon off people's speed, not Barry).  Dodging bricks effortlessly and quipping is one of his things.

Seriously. She's a statue.

Problem is by this line of reasoning no Flash should ever lose a fight against a non-speedster. Ever. And yet he routinely has trouble beating guys who throw boomerangs and exploding yo-yos. Captain Cold should never get a shot off. And yet. The Pied Piper should be unconscious before he can take a deep breath, let alone put flute to lips. And yet...

Given the way Flash's speed is typically portrayed in 99% of fights against non-speedsters, Wally will run circles around Diana punching her dozens of times in the space of a second...and then she'll hit him once and that'll be all she wrote. Sorry.

Problem is by this line of reasoning no Flash should ever lose a fight against a non-speedster. Ever. And yet he routinely has trouble beating guys who throw boomerangs and exploding yo-yos. Captain Cold should never get a shot off. And yet. The Pied Piper should be unconscious before he can take a deep breath, let alone put flute to lips. And yet...

Given the way Flash's speed is typically portrayed in 99% of fights against non-speedsters, Wally will run circles around Diana punching her dozens of times in the space of a second...and then she'll hit him once and that'll be all she wrote. Sorry.

Yeah, apparently everyone has decided to use only the very highest end Flash power stunts to determine how he should be all the time.  Shrug.

Diana should stomp Wally in this.

Not using what they're capable of in a "hypothetical battle" like this is tying hands behind peoples backs.  If we start using how comics are written - with abilities fluctuating to fit the needs of the story being told -  ONLY, then it really DOES boil down to:

"Whose comic does this fight take place in?"

Wally running circles a hundred times and getting clocked and KO'd wouldn't happen if it was his book and he had to win to move on to the next part of his limited series.

Diana being one shot by the infinite mass punch wouldn't happen in her book for the same reasons.

Personalities have to play a factor - otherwise this is just death battle lite - but IMO they *should* be trying their best to win within the limits of their abilities and personal codes.  That's why I went with the siphon speed win over the infinite mass punch - Wally would want to end the fight quickly and without causing Diana harm, not try to splatter her all over the country side.

Fair point, but...

Wally running circles a hundred times and getting clocked and KO'd wouldn't happen if it was his book...

But that does happen in his book, pretty regularly. (Not when it's required to continue the series obviously, but that's a meta thing.)

This is a bit part of why I never really got into Flash as a character. Once you establish that a character can run faster than the speed of light and win before the other guy even knows he's in a fight, then the only way to challenge him is 1) ignore that ability, or 2 have him fight another speedster. It's basically a "Time Stop, I Win" power.

I mentioned this in another thread: the new DC Rebirth Titans series, which is pretty good overall,* has this problem with Wally. The team spends 2 issues getting the crap beat out of them by their evil doppelgangers created by Abra Kadabra. And then Wally decides OK it matters now, and beats all 6 of the bad guys single-handed. Between panels. In under 7 seconds. And it only takes that long because the bad guys are located in four different cities hundreds of miles apart. And yeah, there are consequences: going that fast leaves him trapped in the Speed Force

for almost one whole issue!

, but still.)

* And thank you to whoever recommended it.

"Whose comic does this fight take place in?"

I assumed the fights are taking place in their own crossover limited series. Which means (at least in theory) that characters' power levels are consistent with how they are most often portrayed outside of "highlight moments" in their own titles.

I mentioned this in another thread: the new DC Rebirth Titans series, which is pretty good overall,* has this problem with Wally. The team spends 2 issues getting the crap beat out of them by their evil doppelgangers created by Abra Kadabra. And then Wally decides OK it matters now, and beats all 6 of the bad guys single-handed. Between panels. In under 7 seconds. And it only takes that long because the bad guys are located in four different cities hundreds of miles apart. And yeah, there are consequences: going that fast leaves him trapped in the Speed Force but still.)

Hence my lobbying/griping that the Flashes (comic book power level) should have been in the "Unlimited" category.

I still feel Wally West from the animated Justice League Unlimited (aside from that one video I posted, which was all or nothing and the closest thing I could find to what the comic Flash does on a monthly basis) or Barry Allen from the CW Flash series would have been better fits for this bracket (and probably closer to what you and some others expect from a Flash in these circumstances). 

Flash streaked in at half the speed of light, his fist pulled back as waves of electricty cascaded from every part of his body.

Diana stood motionless, a statue who could never see him coming.

At the last possible second he stopped, fist cocked back.

"I can't hit a girl." He confessed, as she became aware of his presence.

"I can." Diana retorted, as Wally found himself sliding and bouncing away from the Princess of Power, his body only now beginning to register the force of impact.

As he tried to clear his head a golden lasso wrapped around his body.  This fight was over.

As he tried to clear his head a golden lasso wrapped around his body.  This fight was over.

So sexy...

Uhm, I mean, obviously the "real" Flash sees the lasso coming, dodges, stops, thinks about it, runs over to Cambridge, Massachusetts, builds a house (obviously you need a place to live while pursuing a graduate degree in Advanced Difficult Studies); does same while building a new PC and figuring out how to program his VCR (it's an old story); learns how to dress, dance, cook, speak Latvian; gets really into ham radio; reads the Canon of Great Western Literature; develops an appreciation for fine cigars, Scotch, cheeses made from unpasteurised milk, sweetbreads, coffee, beer, Old World charcuterie and Szechuan style fermented vegetables; digs a garden that Cambridge can be proud of; publishes his dissertation as Kantian Phenomenological Interpretations of Critical Responses to Happy Days on Rotten Tomatoes Now With Bayesian Statistical Analysis; gets woke; returns to the fight; and before a full microsecond has elapsed, cleans Wonder Woman's clock..

Because Flash's power stunts are in the same category as Superman pushing planets around. They've happened in comics, but they're silly, so we don't put them in "serious" stories. I'm sorry that that disappoints Flash fans, but what are you going to do?

That reminds me of Metro Man's existential crisis in Megamind - where he used his super speed to take a good look at his life, walk around, read a book, etc, mid fight.  It's one of my favorite scenes in a movie that I wasn't expecting to like (but ended up loving).