New Champions GM here, looking for advice :3

Jaanjiro

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to be here on the forums. As that means I finally changed system.

A brief introduction:

I have been GMing for some years, and just recently decided to try Champions/Hero System (as I fell in love with it while searching for a new system), and I have been preparing the setting and my players, we shall start playing soon.

Although I have been playing and GMing different systems, and one of my players is experienced in RPGs, i would like to ask you for advice and guidance, as none or us have played a game like this before, nor played in the superhero genre, and I as the GM sure could use your help.

For the setting I was thinking that the PCs will be among the first supers to arise in the world, this way it serves as a tutorial-like campaing, and will help me with world building as I introduce more elements from the Champions lore.

For the tone I was considering Bronze Age, with a touch of Silver and maybe a hint of Modern or "Cinematic".

Wich comicbook tropes and conventions do you recomend me to implement and wich to abandon?

Also, how do you balance public identity and super identity roleplaying?

I really like this system, and I wish my players enjoy playing in it :P

Speaking of wich, could you help me with one?

One PC is ready, it was made by the experienced player; another one I can figure how to build it and help its player; but the last one is proving to be more challenging to make:

It's a detective with psionic powers, who focuses them through song. It's player want to influence emotions on single and multiple targets (I think I can modify something from Champions Powers) with songs, and to make people have a better predisposition towards him (like a passive power).

Any advice to build it?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For no reason what so ever I am going to assume you are experienced with Pathfinder

First, Hero is ALOT More flexable.  Many will say that this is its greatest strength, but it is easy for it to be a weakness as well.  As a strength it can allow a wonderful amount of diversity and custimization.  As a weakness it rewards system mastery.  GM oversight is VITAL.  Make sure you set limits, I would at a base start with a Damage Class range within 4 dice and defense of x2-x2.5 of attacks

so maybe 8-12 DC's and def of 20-30 (traditionally a speed of 4-6 and CV's between 5-10)

Hi and welcome to the forums. :-)

Re. the psionic detective's mind control power, a couple of things jump out at me.

Firstly, you describe the power as passive. But I would say it's active. The character is actively doing something, singing, that makes the power work. This makes no real difference in building it but in play/adjudicating it it might.

Second, you can build it with the limitations of Incantations,  Detectable by Common Senses, and either Limited Range or 0 range. Oh yeah - and Limited Power - "Only to make people like me."

Thirdly, does it effect everyone in the area of can the character choose who they effect? Which would be either Area of Effect or Area of Effect - Selective, respectively.

Re. campaign conventions. The main one I think of is how are the public reacting to the sudden  appearance of supers?

I can see a mixed bag of reactions. There will be super groupies. There will be skeptics. ("That facebook post was so photo-shopped.") There will be the fearful. There's always scaredy types who react poorly to changes. There will probably be fan clubs and the equivalent of mutant hate groups. And then there's the government. Do they want to control the supers? Or destroy them? They won't simply ignore them. At a local level government types (and I'm mostly thinking of the police here) will have the same variation in reactions as the general public.

What this means for secret ID is that most characters will probably want one. Unless they want to revel in their new found celebrity. In which case public ID would be a good choice. There was a good thread on the whole topic of Public vs. Secret ID's vs. Neither on this forum a year or two back; but I can't find it, sorry.

Thanks for the welcome! I really apreciate it!

For no reason what so ever I am going to assume you are experienced with Pathfinder

Why, indeed I am.

I have played with many systems (the latest being Fate) and GM'd a few of them, but I'm most familiar with D&D and Pathfinder, that's for sure :P

Many thanks for the advise! I will consider implementing such limits.

Re. the psionic detective's mind control power, a couple of things jump out at me.

Firstly, you describe the power as passive. But I would say it's active. The character is actively doing something, singing, that makes the power work.

Well, it's actually both, the singing to manipulate emotions is active, yes.

What I meant by passive is that the PC also has an effect on people wich he interacts with, something like a permanent psionic aura.

Thanks for the building tips! It helps a lot and give me some ideas.

Re. campaign conventions. The main one I think of is how are the public reacting to the sudden appearance of supers?

I can see a mixed bag of reactions.

I was thinking along those lines, it will be fun to watch the PCs reactions too, and all that could lead to the founding of an organization like PRIMUS or UNTIL, or even lead to a Civil War like scenario.

Fun times, i hope :3

On a side note, how do you manage your villains? I suppose that making them too recurring would make it kinda boring in the long run, is alternating between a few recurring villains and making most of them a one-shot kind of deal better?

What this means for secret ID is that most characters will probably want one. Unless they want to revel in their new found celebrity. In which case public ID would be a good choice. There was a good thread on the whole topic of Public vs. Secret ID's vs. Neither on this forum a year or two back; but I can't find it, sorry.

Don't worry about it, thanks for trying!

I will talk with my players about the ID aspect of their chatacters. It would be interesting to see different points of view among the PCs.

Any tip on managing the civilian lives of the PCs in the narrative?

Thanks for all the help!

I'm open for more suggestions on how to build this first campaing, for reference one of the other PCs is the daughter of some criminal family with chaos/entropy/luck based powers, the other one is kind of a cyborg I believe (this PC is the least fleshed out)

Psing a Psong: (Total: 12 Active Cost, 4 Real Cost) +4/+4d6 Striking Appearance: Psionic Psong (vs. all characters) (12 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Mental Attack roll; Must be made each "target" to be affected; -1), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Perceivable (Visible to Mental Senses; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

Before using this power, the character must spend a full phase singing, during which the psionic exertion is visible to those with Mental Awareness. The character must also succeed in a Mental Attack Roll (OMCV vs DMCV) against every person whose attitude they wish to influence. If making a PREsence attack the character rolls an extra 4d6 counted against only those who are affected, and when using PRE based skills such as Conversation or Persuasion apply 4 pt bonus vs affected targets. Anyone under this power's influence will have a more positive attitude towards the character than would otherwise be the case.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks a psionic detective should be assigned to a mental case.

A few words about Secret ID and other Complications:

If something appears as a Complication, that means it's not just a fact about the character, it's something that will come up in the game. So if one character has Depedent Non Player Character: Parents, and another doesn't, the latter might be an orphan or might be someone with a relatively unstressful relationship to parents who are fortunate enough to never be menaced by supervillains or abducted by aliens or trapped in a burning building or otherwise requiring superheroic attention.

So if someone has Secret ID as a Complication that should occasionally be a problem for them - having to duck down an alley to change instead of leaping right into battle with a villain, having to think up an excuse for being late or absent to school or work, coming up with a ruse to throw off a villain getting too close to figuring it out, etc. It is possible for a character to maintain a "secret identity" without taking it as a Complication: just assume that villains for some reason aren't interested in figuring out "who that costumed do-gooder REALLY is," that family members either are in on the secret and supportive or just never look in the back of the closet where the costume hangs, etc.

Lucius Alexander

Custom Complication: Palindromedary

A few words about Secret ID and other Complications:

If something appears as a Complication, that means it's not just a fact about the character, it's something that will come up in the game. So if one character has Depedent Non Player Character: Parents, and another doesn't, the latter might be an orphan or might be someone with a relatively unstressful relationship to parents who are fortunate enough to never be menaced by supervillains or abducted by aliens or trapped in a burning building or otherwise requiring superheroic attention.

So if someone has Secret ID as a Complication that should occasionally be a problem for them - having to duck down an alley to change instead of leaping right into battle with a villain, having to think up an excuse for being late or absent to school or work, coming up with a ruse to throw off a villain getting too close to figuring it out, etc. It is possible for a character to maintain a "secret identity" without taking it as a Complication: just assume that villains for some reason aren't interested in figuring out "who that costumed do-gooder REALLY is," that family members either are in on the secret and supportive or just never look in the back of the closet where the costume hangs, etc.

Lucius Alexander

Custom Complication: Palindromedary

Just to expand on this idea. . .

Complications and Limitations are basically a way for players to say, 'I want you to complicate my character's life in these ways.'  The frequency toggles and value of these constructs basically inform the GM as to how often and to what degree the character's life will get complicated.  Make sure your players understand this concept as well.

Complications and Limitations are basically a way for players to say, 'I want you to complicate my character's life in these ways.'  The frequency toggles and value of these constructs basically inform the GM as to how often and to what degree the character's life will get complicated.  Make sure your players understand this concept as well.

Indeed. If a player takes ten 5 point hunted or rivals it means 'I don't really want you to bug me but don't want to be unbalanced compared to the other characters'

If the entire group takes ten 5 point hunted/rivals it means they're players coming from a system without complications/troubles/disadvantages who hate seeing their characters 'penalised'.

I have seen both.

As to the supervillains -- since the PCs are among the first supers in the world, you can introduce new villains all along the way.  So there can be some satisfaction for the players in having taken them off the streets. 

That said, jails and prisons are likely not yet set up to handle super-powered convicts, so breakouts could be very plausible (depending on the individual's powers).  So if you want to bring a villain back for a repeat performance, you're generally good to go.  Just don't make prison a revolving door, or it gets disheartening for the players.

How I would handle it:  most villains would be created as one-shots, but keep an eye on how the players react to various villains.  Those that they seem to enjoy crossing swords with, make plans to bring back. 

A side idea:  the government might take incarcerated supervillains "somewhere else" - maybe a Guantanamo-style lockup, or perhaps press them into government service ala Suicide Squad.  So the heroes might eventually face former foes, but with those foes now having some semi-official sanction.

That said, jails and prisons are likely not yet set up to handle super-powered convicts, so breakouts could be very plausible (depending on the individual's powers).  So if you want to bring a villain back for a repeat performance, you're generally good to go.  Just don't make prison a revolving door, or it gets disheartening for the players.

Or they just start killing the bad guys. . .

Psing a Psong: (Total: 12 Active Cost, 4 Real Cost) +4/+4d6 Striking Appearance: Psionic Psong (vs. all characters) (12 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Mental Attack roll; Must be made each "target" to be affected; -1), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Perceivable (Visible to Mental Senses; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

Before using this power, the character must spend a full phase singing, during which the psionic exertion is visible to those with Mental Awareness. The character must also succeed in a Mental Attack Roll (OMCV vs DMCV) against every person whose attitude they wish to influence. If making a PREsence attack the character rolls an extra 4d6 counted against only those who are affected, and when using PRE based skills such as Conversation or Persuasion apply 4 pt bonus vs affected targets. Anyone under this power's influence will have a more positive attitude towards the character than would otherwise be the case.

I like this, but (1) I don't think it's the passive power the OP wanted, and (2) Striking Appearance only affects some Interaction skills.  I don't have my book here, but I'm not sure whether SA affects Conversation skill, for instance.

Personally, I'd have it as straight Interaction Skill Levels with a mental powers SFX, something like:

Psionic Aura:  +4 w/ All Interaction Skills (16 Active Points); Perceivable (Visible to Mental Awareness; -1/4), Limited Power (-1 per 5 EGO over 10 in the opposing person, and -1 / 1 point Mental Defense in the opposing person; -1/2)  (Real Cost:  9)

Edit to add:  If he always has the psionic aura, whether he wants to or not, you'll also want Distinctive Features (Not Concealable, Detect with special powers).  And if it's something he can suppress with effort (e.g. spending 2 END / phase), make it Concealable with Effort.

Don't forget that complications can sometimes be entertaining as well.  That one player's 2d6 Instant susceptibility to Teleportation defined as "throwing up", for instance, can be good for more than a few laughs out of combat.  Like one of the earlier editions of Champions said, the primary purpose of the game is for the GM and the players to be entertained.

Also, if the player in this example is quick enough on the uptake and realizes that vomit and electronics don't mix very well, they might learn a valuable lesson in how to role-play turning a weakness into a strength.

Don't forget that complications can sometimes be entertaining as well.  That one player's 2d6 Instant susceptibility to Teleportation defined as "throwing up", for instance, can be good for more than a few laughs out of combat.  Like one of the earlier editions of Champions said, the primary purpose of the game is for the GM and the players to be entertained.

Indeed, the primary purpose of any RPG is entertainment.  Characters that lead uncomplicated lives are boring, IMO.

One way I like to look at complications is as a way to indicate to the GM what kind of stories you want your character involved in.  Adding a DNPC is saying that you want your character to have the chance to save that DNPC.  Adding a Hunted means that you want your character to face that Hunted on a regular(ish) basis.  What fun is having a complication if you don't get the chance to overcome it?

Wow, so many answers and advices, thank you all!

Thank you for sharing Palindromedary Wisdom, this is really helpful! I will use this.

And the points you make on the complications helps too!

Complications and Limitations are basically a way for players to say, 'I want you to complicate my character's life in these ways.' The frequency toggles and value of these constructs basically inform the GM as to how often and to what degree the character's life will get complicated. Make sure your players understand this concept as well.

Indeed. If a player takes ten 5 point hunted or rivals it means 'I don't really want you to bug me but don't want to be unbalanced compared to the other characters'

If the entire group takes ten 5 point hunted/rivals it means they're players coming from a system without complications/troubles/disadvantages who hate seeing their characters 'penalised'.

I have seen both.

I explained them how they work and the idea behind them, they liked it, so I don't think it will be an issue. Thanks for the input!

That said, jails and prisons are likely not yet set up to handle super-powered convicts, so breakouts could be very plausible (depending on the individual's powers). So if you want to bring a villain back for a repeat performance, you're generally good to go. Just don't make prison a revolving door, or it gets disheartening for the players.

How I would handle it: most villains would be created as one-shots, but keep an eye on how the players react to various villains. Those that they seem to enjoy crossing swords with, make plans to bring back.

A side idea: the government might take incarcerated supervillains "somewhere else" - maybe a Guantanamo-style lockup, or perhaps press them into government service ala Suicide Squad. So the heroes might eventually face former foes, but with those foes now having some semi-official sanction.

I like that, that way I have more time and options for regular villains. And you give me some interesting ideas, thanks!

Psionic Aura: +4 w/ All Interaction Skills (16 Active Points); Perceivable (Visible to Mental Awareness; -1/4), Limited Power (-1 per 5 EGO over 10 in the opposing person, and -1 / 1 point Mental Defense in the opposing person; -1/2) (Real Cost: 9)

Thats's awesome! I will use this too, many thanks!

Also, if the player in this example is quick enough on the uptake and realizes that vomit and electronics don't mix very well, they might learn a valuable lesson in how to role-play turning a weakness into a strength.

And the lessons involving vomit are lessons for life, amirite? :P

That's a good point, thanks!

I will talk with the psionic detective's player, I'm sure the input will be apreciated :3

I like this, but (1) I don't think it's the passive power the OP wanted, and (2) Striking Appearance only affects some Interaction skills.  I don't have my book here, but I'm not sure whether SA affects Conversation skill, for instance.

\.

Which Skills are boosted depends on how the Striking Appearance is defined.

Lucius Alexander

+2 to Animal Handler: Palindromedaries

I have telepaths with power to influence friends and win over enemies.  Its usually in a multipower and its presence only for attacks and skill rolls -1/2, mental defense applicable against effects -1/4.  It can be fairly powerful, so tread lightly.

As for tropes to avoid:

Teammate Traitor: Its used a lot in comic books but players hate this.

Tragic Love Interest: I've done this a couple of time, and maybe its just me, but when sh!t happens to the love interest or dnpc, players turn it off.  This isn't the same as putting their dnpc in peril, but doing something like giving Lois Lane superpowers which may cost her her life or normalcy.  You would think the PC might come to their aid, help them through the trauma but no.  I think its such a dramatic change the player generally can't adapt to the change or change the preconceived concept of the DNPC in their minds.  Only do this with complete cooperation with the player (no surprises).

Comic book trope to avoid:  capturing the heroes.  The players will absolutely hate the very thought of it (at least in my experience), and will fight the capture every step of the way, including even after they're captured.  If you make an adventure that depends on at least one of the PC heroes being captured, don't be surprised if they find a way to make that not happen.

Suggestion:  NPCs are a great tool to flesh out your campaign world.  In the past 2 Champions campaigns, I offered each player 5 free extra points if he/she provides me with 5 NPCs (note:  NOT DNPCs; I promise not to put them into harm's way or make the hero rescue them) - at least names and how they are connected to the character (family, friend, coworker, etc.).  They can even be helpful, though not to the level of being free Contacts.  But these NPCs can provide a GM's voice into the game (asking the PC hero key questions, mentioning something the player might have forgotten, etc.) and just generally make the world seem more real.

I've also offered 5 extra points if the player provides at least 2-3 paragraphs about the character - where he/she got powers, what other events have taken place in the character's pre-game past, etc.  It helps them flesh out the character in their minds, and can give you more of an idea what the character is about, motivations, etc.  Some of the players get into it - from a few of them, I've gotten up to a dozen pages, including life story, home and work addresses, etc.

As to NPCs, I've tried to populate my world with a fair smattering of characters, some geared toward specific PC heroes, others just ready to fill in when I need a cop, reporter, businessman, etc.  Just a picture, a paragraph or three, and a short list of key skills / talents / characteristics.  You can check out Hermit's excellent People of Campaign City thread for some ideas.  I've also attached a few sample pages from my own campaign NPC listing to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

Try to build relationships between some NPCs and the heroes.  The cop who's willing to work behind the scenes with the heroes.  The reporter who maybe hounds them about everything they do, but also gives them some info they need (in exchange for an exclusive, mind you).  The politician who tries to hamstring the heroes (perhaps he's on the take to organized crime, or maybe just intensely distrusts them).  Give those NPCs enough personality to make them memorable, without going too far and making them caricatures. 

PeopleOfBostonCampaignMedia.pdf

PeopleOfBostonCampaignBusiness.pdf

Suggestion:  NPCs are a great tool to flesh out your campaign world.  In the past 2 Champions campaigns, I offered each player 5 free extra points if he/she provides me with 5 NPCs (note:  NOT DNPCs; I promise not to put them into harm's way or make the hero rescue them) - at least names and how they are connected to the character (family, friend, coworker, etc.).  They can even be helpful, though not to the level of being free Contacts.  But these NPCs can provide a GM's voice into the game (asking the PC hero key questions, mentioning something the player might have forgotten, etc.) and just generally make the world seem more real.

That's... awesome.  That idea belongs in APG III should it ever get written.  That's also something I've only ever been able to achieve in written stories and not game sessions.

I have telepaths with power to influence friends and win over enemies. Its usually in a multipower and its presence only for attacks and skill rolls -1/2, mental defense applicable against effects -1/4. It can be fairly powerful, so tread lightly.

I will, thanks for the warning. I actually like that this player is building a character like this, it has served as a way to learn more of the system (the other two PCs are more straightforward, so building them was less challenging), and I can see in the first sessions how it works and how to balance similar concepts in the future :3

As for tropes to avoid:

Teammate Traitor: Its used a lot in comic books but players hate this.

Tragic Love Interest: I've done this a couple of time, and maybe its just me, but when sh!t happens to the love interest or dnpc, players turn it off. This isn't the same as putting their dnpc in peril, but doing something like giving Lois Lane superpowers which may cost her her life or normalcy. You would think the PC might come to their aid, help them through the trauma but no. I think its such a dramatic change the player generally can't adapt to the change or change the preconceived concept of the DNPC in their minds. Only do this with complete cooperation with the player (no surprises).

I will keep this in mind, thanks a lot!

Comic book trope to avoid: capturing the heroes. The players will absolutely hate the very thought of it (at least in my experience), and will fight the capture every step of the way, including even after they're captured. If you make an adventure that depends on at least one of the PC heroes being captured, don't be surprised if they find a way to make that not happen.

Yeah, I can relate to that, in a campaing where I was a player, the GM had my character captured 3 times, and tortured in two of those times, it really sucks not being able to do anythig except waiting to be captured (escaping wasn't an option, really)

So yeah, I won't do that :P

Suggestion: NPCs are a great tool to flesh out your campaign world. In the past 2 Champions campaigns, I offered each player 5 free extra points if he/she provides me with 5 NPCs (note: NOT DNPCs; I promise not to put them into harm's way or make the hero rescue them) - at least names and how they are connected to the character (family, friend, coworker, etc.). They can even be helpful, though not to the level of being free Contacts. But these NPCs can provide a GM's voice into the game (asking the PC hero key questions, mentioning something the player might have forgotten, etc.) and just generally make the world seem more real.

That is an idea way too awesome not to copy, I will follow your lead ;3

And thank you for the templates! I get what you are saying about NPCs, I will also follow your lead in that regard, it will make things more interesting as well as easier.

You people have really been helpful :D

Here's something else to avoid:

Making the PCs at a lower power level than the conventional NPC. I have been in several campaigns where my PC party worked hard to gather a lot of XP (possibly getting to a highly respected position) only to have some new comer with no XP be able to handle things that are beyond what you can perform at this time, even with all your XP. Even worse, that new comer is the equivalent of the village idiot and not from anyplace that would be considered respected. This has happened to me on more than one occasion.

I had one player give me free hand on a drawback (before complications :) )  I chose a Hunted, but instead of a normal hunted it was that his character got roasted in a newspaper every week (I would prepare a sheet of headlines, he would get blamed for EVERYTHING wrong in the world, if he saved the earth it was part of a dastardly plot to put people at ease, etc...)  Other than a reporter getting in his face every once in a while never really came up "In play" but the laughs at what the paper had to say was WELL WORTH the 10 points he got for it...

Some tips:

1) If you aren't sure on a rule, wing it and look it up later, you're probably right or very close

2) try to get every player a chance to do what they enjoy best in gaming -- find out what it is and play up to that

3) end every session with at least one goal of the players met, so they feel a sense of accomplishment

4) your job is to have fun and entertain, not win.

5) if the dice say something that will hurt the flow of the game or ruin fun, ignore them.

6) Try to have at least one character's complication show up every session, especially if it can be funny

7) Get all your ducks in a row before running: all the character sheets, info in your head, combat sheet/combat program set up

Get Aaron Allston's Strike Force.  The man was a genius at game mastering and it has decades of tips and information.  There really is no better gaming book that has ever been written.