Powers gone awry.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GCMorris

GCMorris

Very Powerful Hero

• 287 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:21 PM

Professor Chaos has totally chaotic powers. He has a personal teleport field gadget in his belt which teleport foes in a random direction when they get a certain distance from him. He can also use his Chaotic Random Ray Gun to cause someone to lose control of their powers. He doesn't turn the powers off but the victim can't control the power affected. The power is selected randomly.

My question is... How to implement the second ability?

#2 Chris Goodwin

Chris Goodwin

Social justice globehead

• 4,399 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

What exactly does "can't control their powers" mean?  Does it mean that a random power activates, perhaps at a random target?  Does it mean all of their powers activate?  

Once you've got that worked out then we can figure out how to achieve it.

Chris Goodwin
The Big Thread of Helpful HowtosThe Unofficial HERO System Forum | HERO System Low Heroic Protocols | Old School ChampionsHow to Play HERO System | Robot Warriors to HERO System Current Editions

There are two paths your character can take into the game: the path of the game guidelines document, or the path of the Character Approver 9000. Choose your path wisely.

#3 GCMorris

GCMorris

Very Powerful Hero

• 287 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

A random power activates or shuts off or fires in a random direction.

#4 dsatow

dsatow

Bionic Occult Mutant Alien Samurai Hero

• 944 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:02 PM

As in anything HERO related, your mileage and creation of the power may vary.  I can only speak for how I would build it.

I would make it a massive mind control with telepathy and effects can not be controlled.  Then generate a randomization chart.  Something like (you should generate your own).

1 - Some focus explodes (change active into EB explosion).  If no focus, go to 2.

2 - So aid type power (AID, healing, anything beneficial) hits a random target.  If no aiding ability, go to 3.

3 - All applicable attack powers go off (starting with AoEs) at ground zero.  Targeted attacks hit self or the ground.

4 - Some attack randomly goes off at random target.

5 - Some movement power runs rampant (treat as a pushed movement, if no applicable movement power go to 4)

6 - Something turns off (if not turns off go to 5)

#5 doccowie

doccowie

• 68 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:45 AM

Mind Control is certainly a good option - but then Captain Chaos will be able to affect bricks easily, and have a lot of difficulty with mentalists, and not be able to affect automatons at all. Is that how you see it working in game?

Alternatively you have the old standbys of either Transform (to inflict a complication), or the Change Environment effect from one of the APGs that forces a limitation on powers?

Or even a multipower/VPP with Indirect (origin the opponent) and a pile of limitations ("Only to duplicate powers", "No Conscious Control"). That wouldn't mean that the opponent was unable to use their powers normally on their phase, though.

#6 Hugh Neilson

Hugh Neilson

SETAC Gadfly

• 16,607 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

Actually, CE to make a Power Skill roll at -X or roll on dsatow's random table seems like it could work. Definitely requires thinking on the fly, as all random results typically will.

#7 Tjack

Tjack

Very Powerful Hero

• 254 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

I tend to like quick & dirty solutions so as not to slow the game down. Check the game sheet of the player who got zapped and a couple of dice.
Roll 'em and count down that number of powers. That's what got affected.
It's truly random and there should be no way a player could think the GM was being unfair.
'cause Justice is the one thing you should always find.

#8 PhilFleischmann

PhilFleischmann

Mad Scientist

• 2,793 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:19 PM

A large OCV Drain might work to cause powers to fire in random directions, but not to go off unexpectedly, and it wouldn't work for non-attack powers.

How about a naked UAA Advantage, applied to a random power on the target?  That is to say, a "naked" UAA for up to X Active Points of power, with UAA on *that*, so the Prof can use it as an attack.  This would be a pretty high AP power, but you could then limit it with "Affects Random Power" -1, and "Affected Power Behaves Randomly" -1.  These are legitimate limitations, because if Professor Chaos is facing down BlastyMan, he might want BlastyMan's BlastyBeam to "randomly" fire at his sidekick, BlastyBoy - that would be the best possible outcome for Professor Chaos, but instead, he gets something random - like BlastyMan flying fifty feet up into the air and flipping upside-down.

"Sir, you're mad with power!" "Of course I am. You ever try being mad *without* power? It's boring. Nobody listens to you."

#9 Hugh Neilson

Hugh Neilson

SETAC Gadfly

• 16,607 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:36 PM

hmmm...how about a Naked UBO Advantage, purchased UAA, so I can force you to grant me your power, and now I get to use it...

Indirect, with the point of origin being the target of my UBO UAA, of course...