Solving Puzzles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Hero Games Otaku

• 5,856 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:38 PM

To show that someone is notably brilliant at solving puzzles (like doing a Rubik's Cube in record time), is there a skill that works for that? Or is it just an INT roll?
"We can rebuild him... we have the character points..." - Dust Raven

"He's a few neutrons short of a stable isotope." - Forum comment on zerohedge.com

#2 doccowie

doccowie

• 68 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:16 AM

Depends on what the player and GM want the character to do.

"PS: Rubik's Cube 14-" is rather specific.

"PS: Puzzle Solver 14-" may be the best approach if GM and player agree on what it means.

"Deduction 14-" may be useful if you want a wider approach.

PSLs vs time penalties on puzzle solving will let him solve a puzzle freakishly quickly?

• Netzilla and DasBroot like this

#3 bigdamnhero

bigdamnhero

Don't try this at home!

• 6,284 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

Yeah, sounds like a KS to me, or else a straight INT Roll.

[I'd go with KS rather than PS personally, but six of one...]

"If I ever decide to kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

#4 DasBroot

DasBroot

Bat-Noogier

• 1,209 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:34 PM

In genre people are *usually* shown to be exceptionally good at puzzles if they're meant to be exceptionally good at solving ... well, everything.  It's the fastest way to show someone is supposed to be a genius at solving problems in general.

With that in mind I'd go with the deduction roll, myself - though I really like the penalty skill levels vs time if someone actually wants to spend points to be exceptionally fast at solving puzzles.  

Or... skill levels for attribute rolls (int), bought for 'puzzle'.  Think I recall seeing in the builder that you can buy skill levels for base attribute rolls.

"I threw a rock at him!"

*silence*

".... it was a *big* rock."