Differing Modifiers

JmOz

"Differing Modifiers" is a subset of the rules for Usable By Other used when the Granted Power and the Granting Power have very different modifiers. They should be discussed wherever Usable By Others is found in your Primary Rules Reference. For example in ​Champions or Fantasy Hero Complete​ they can be found on page 120 or 142 respectively.

The Differing Modifier rules are great and well defined for creating 'spell' effects where the limitations on the 'caster' are different than those of 'target' of the beneficial effect.  There is is just not a great way to list the total construction within Hero Designer as currently built.  Do a search for my name and Differing Modifiers for more details.

:)

HM

Hrmmm, ok, I've read up on the rules and while it works great I think for Fantasy Hero, I can see abuses in Champions where the real cost becomes the base cost of the final power.  For instance, Doctor Strangefate casts a spell to enchant Battyman with the ability to fly by clapping his hands.  This effectively allows Dr. Strangefate to take the gestures limitation twice on the power.  Once on Battyman and once for him.

I would GM it differently, saying you build it as Usable by Others as a naked advantage. Guess that will be a new house rule for me.

The Differing Modifier rules are great and well defined for creating 'spell' effects where the limitations on the 'caster' are different than those of 'target' of the beneficial effect.  There is is just not a great way to list the total construction within Hero Designer as currently built.  Do a search for my name and Differing Modifiers for more details.

:)

HM

For Hero Designer I usually just build the Granted Power as it functions for the Grantee, and then when building the Granting Power I create a Custom Power with a base cost equal to the Real Cost of the Granted Power and name that custom power's base effect "Grant [name of granted power]"... At least I'm pretty sure that is how I used to do it. I stopped using Hero Designer years ago, and I cannot find an example file right now; even though I'm sure I made one for an odd attempt at a Vancian Spellcasting System where you used a Spellbook Multipower to Grant yourself spells built using the Differing Modifiers rules.