San Angelo

LouisGoncey

It added color and provided fully developed characters. What it missed was grand adventures.

Noted. We appreciate feedback like this.

Just FYI, we're working on a relaunch for the future (no set release date yet). You can follow some of the developments and discussion on the SACoH FB page. I'm happy to cross post stuff here, as well.

Just so you folks are aware, we're looking at releasing much of the setting material on a Wiki-style platform and publishing updated characters, stories and such in new books. The books would be meatier with lots of usable in-game goodness (art, stats, adventures, etc.).

The Wiki would be a highly detailed resource for those who want to delve deeper into the backstory and the setting. One of the things I like about the Wiki idea is that it would allow GMs and players to use it during the game (on smartphones, tablets, etc.). We're posting quite a bit of content on the beta. Once we have the bulk of the material up that we want to release, we'll open it up for fans to participate. We're planning to license all of the text on the Wiki under the CC-BY-NC-ND.

San Angelo has a lot of research done and gives you a lot of minute details. Of course it leaves space for your own characters to placed in there. One thing too is the builds for supers hold to characteristic maxima. Paragon is supossed to be a Capt. America type super and his stats are maxed at 20 and skills around 13-.

Back in the day? I am using it as the main city in my current Chanpions game!

I totally agree with TheQuestionMan on this. There is a high level of detail, and just a bunch of plot lines throughout. A grand adventure to kick things off was all that was missing.

• 2 weeks later...

Noted. We appreciate feedback like this.

Just FYI, we're working on a relaunch for the future (no set release date yet). You can follow some of the developments and discussion on the SACoH FB page. I'm happy to cross post stuff here, as well.

I consider this good news. Thank you for sharing it.

Lucius Alexander

San Nas, City of palindromedaries

IMHO the book and it's supplements are worth picking up. There is a very high Astro City vibe to the books that allow you to build what you want into the campaign world while still fleshing out enough to work with. I remember one part of Radio/TV stations that list the top 10 with 3-4 slots left open for the Reff to fill in himself if he wants.

Just so you folks are aware, we're looking at releasing much of the setting material on a Wiki-style platform and publishing updated characters, stories and such in new books. The books would be meatier with lots of usable in-game goodness (art, stats, adventures, etc.).

The Wiki would be a highly detailed resource for those who want to delve deeper into the backstory and the setting. One of the things I like about the Wiki idea is that it would allow GMs and players to use it during the game (on smartphones, tablets, etc.). We're posting quite a bit of content on the beta. Once we have the bulk of the material up that we want to release, we'll open it up for fans to participate. We're planning to license all of the text on the Wiki under the CC-BY-NC-ND.

Hey Mark,

Long time no see! Exciting stuff. What system will be used for the relaunch of SA:CoH if any?

• 1 month later...

My suggestions would be the following:

When expanding an area or adding a new NPC/villain, include a mini adventure or plot thread.  For example, when describing the Sheriff, maybe suggest the Sheriff having stumbled across something foul and one of their deputies is concerned and asked the heroes for help.

Some general street gangs PCs can stop or rough up for information.  Street gangs with flavors.  Like a demon worshipping one or all mutants.

Hangouts for the heroes.  Bars, clubs, and late night diners.  Stores for heroes and hero posers.

In much the same way, some notorious hangs outs would be good.

Change mages to have spells rather than just a variable power pool.  It was one of my issues with the old SA was that every mage had a VPP.  This isn't bad per say but there should be some stereotypical spells in the VPP.  Even Doctor Strange had some standard spells.  Example: Doctor Strange's Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, Images of Ikonn, Flames of Faltine

Change mages to have spells rather than just a variable power pool.  It was one of my issues with the old SA was that every mage had a VPP.  This isn't bad per say but there should be some stereotypical spells in the VPP.  Even Doctor Strange had some standard spells.  Example: Doctor Strange's Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, Images of Ikonn, Flames of Faltine

Hmm... the trick with a VPP that can be changed on the fly, is how do you distinguish a "standard" spell from a predefined one he just switches in a lot? Doc's true standard powers are his focus ones (Eye of Agamotto, Cloak of Levitation), and maybe the astral body trick, since that doesn't seem to come from the same special effect (i.e. meditiation rather than snazzy hand gestures and incantations).

I take the point, but if a setting's definition of wizardry basically IS a VPP, it's what you'll get. Just as all martial artists will have martial arts and all gadgeteers will have a gadget pool.

But "well known" spells that most would know would be fine to list in their sample spell lists in any case.