Old Champions Comic Books

Myrlyn

I only have one issue. Couldn't tell you where. Somewhere between comic in boxes 1258 and 2763. Yes read them again. So they aren't as great as you recall. What is? As for making our own versions, at the risk of sounding like an egomaniac...I can write the Greast COmic IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY. The drawing uhm anyone want to read a comic with some really nice stick figures?:)

At the time there was a definite "cool" factor to seeing Champions superheroes and villains in comic-book form. In the mid-to-late 1980s tabletop RPGs were a much bigger hobby than they are today, and Champions was the most widely recognized superhero game. Particularly cool were the various featured characters given Hero System stats at the back of each issue. But objectively speaking, the writing and artwork were overall unexceptional for the era.

At the time there was a definite "cool" factor to seeing Champions superheroes and villains in comic-book form. In the mid-to-late 1980s tabletop RPGs were a much bigger hobby than they are today, and Champions was the most widely recognized superhero game. Particularly cool were the various featured characters given Hero System stats at the back of each issue. But objectively speaking, the writing and artwork were overall unexceptional for the era.

If you want to check out the latest on the Champs comic series go to Heroic publishing for all the series including G Girl. http://www.heroicpublishing.com

A somewhat creepy element was added to Giant (Goliath in the RPG).  It turns out that the harness that gives him his powers also gives him the memories of the previous wearers.

The original Giant was a hero in World War II.  The Giant in the original comic is his son-in-law, who became Giant after the original's death.  This means that he remembers his wife being his daughter.  Years after Giant's death at the hands of the Demon-Master, his son became the third Giant, transformed into an adult when he uses the harness, similar to Captain Marvel/Shazam.  This means that he remembers his mother being his wife and his daughter. 

Hello therapy bills.

Yes, definitely preferred Southern Knights, especially the earlier stuff.  It had a nice Champions campaign feel to it.  Not perfect, mind you, but generally a fun read.

Especially considering that there was a villain group in Southern Knights called VIPER.

Led by no less than a dragon in human form.  How do ya like them apples, Nama?

Just so you all know, the heroic publishing website has alot of these available for free online...(they have changed some of the names (Freddy is now called "The Fox")

And as the side effect of a transformation spell that a DEMON Morbane cast on him as a disguise way back in the original miniseries, he's unknowingly developed an alternate personality and occasionally physically and mentally turns into a female superhuman mercenary who knows about him and is trying to find a way to permanently take control.

EDIT: I thought I had a cover somewhere in my Photobucket library.

51sIl6IwtaL.jpg

The woman in the middle is "Foxbat's" alternate self.

Just so you all know, the heroic publishing website has alot of these available for free online...(they have changed some of the names (Freddy is now called "The Fox")

Yeah, because they lost the Licence to all of the characters ex the ones that belonged to Dennis. I am not really sure that I liked how he changed the color and the name of the characters to get around the IP problems.

A "real" Champions Universe comic would have been cool. I had hopes that Cryptic could pull it off like they did with the licensed City of Heroes comic. Unfortunately, Champions Online never caught on so no comic or other licensed things outside of what DOJ published for the RPG.

I understand that a Guardians Sourcebook would be difficult. One thing would be talking George MacDonald to write the thing. Also getting the IP rights to all of the PCs could be difficult as well as the original artwork (IIRC Mark Williams has passed away).

Here's what I was going to do: a 5-part limited series featuring each character in a spotlight, introducing them

for example, Defender was first, he takes control over an ancient magical book, which Dr destroyer takes from him.

Then Jaguar, who is undercover investigating Viper for Defender (remember, he's a PI that doesn't like to turn into the cat, only does it in emergencies).

Then Solitaire's escape from the sorcerers she was under, etc

each one has an interesting story I was going to weave together and into the Champions Universe, then bring them together to stop a plot involving DEMON and Dr Destroyer working together (and against each other, naturally all the betrayal, etc) which binds the team together into one unit of Champions of earth.

Then the regular comic starts up with several story lines from the intro being the start of the run.  Each comic theoretically was going to feature at least one character's disad, as part of the main storyline.  I very much preferred the 4th edition version of the characters, but these days we'd kinda have to do the remade ones.

There were a few old issues of Adventurer's Club that mentioned a Guardians sourcebook was being worked on, but it never materialized.

Yup. I figured that was one of the books planned for one of the unused 3e product numbers. They'd say George was working on it, but nothing ever appeared, alas. :(