Comics Champions

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Myrlyn

Myrlyn

Low-Powered Superhero

• 319 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

I was going through some old comics today and dug up this little treasure.  NM condition too.  :)

1105057.jpg

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

#2 GM Joe

GM Joe

• 717 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

I have that six-issue mini-series, too. Haven't read it in forever. I wonder if it's worth reading as an adult, or if it's one of those things best left in childhood.

GMing since 1982.

#3 Christopher R Taylor

Christopher R Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 6,054 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

Its not great, really.  Kind of disappointing because I would have loved to have seen a good comic set in the Champions universe. Heck I tried to write and draw one, but it was way too much work and time.

• GM Joe likes this

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Two Kings Keep

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more                               Kestrel Arts on Twitter                           Kestrel Arts on Facebook

#4 Nothere

Nothere

Very Powerful Hero

• 878 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

I only have one issue. Couldn't tell you where. Somewhere between comic in boxes 1258 and 2763. Yes read them again. So they aren't as great as you recall. What is? As for making our own versions, at the risk of sounding like an egomaniac...I can write the Greast COmic IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY. The drawing uhm anyone want to read a comic with some really nice stick figures?:)

#5 GM Joe

GM Joe

• 717 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

I would have loved to have seen a good comic set in the Champions universe.

Whaddaya mean "would have loved"? It'd still be awesome to see one set in the Champions universe. :)

• Boll Weevil and Tasha like this

GMing since 1982.

#6 Sketchpad

Sketchpad

Sketchpad Studio Supremor

• 4,266 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

Have the mini and few of the ongoing issues. It was okay. Not great, but not as bad as some of the other stuff for the time. I think I preferred Southern Knights a bit more.

• BoloOfEarth likes this
DT Butchino | Writer, Illustrator, Designer
DeviantArt|Facebook|Twitter
GM, Midnight Legion Gaming Club | Lead Designer, Sketchpad Studio

#7 BoloOfEarth

BoloOfEarth

Smell? It Sphinx!

• 10,672 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:08 PM

Yes, definitely preferred Southern Knights, especially the earlier stuff.  It had a nice Champions campaign feel to it.  Not perfect, mind you, but generally a fun read.

"Sometimes getting PCs together is like herding kittens...nuclear powered kittens at that." - phoenix240

"The Internet. It's like an idiot assembly plant." - Lawnmower Boy

#8 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,769 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

At the time there was a definite "cool" factor to seeing Champions superheroes and villains in comic-book form. In the mid-to-late 1980s tabletop RPGs were a much bigger hobby than they are today, and Champions was the most widely recognized superhero game. Particularly cool were the various featured characters given Hero System stats at the back of each issue. But objectively speaking, the writing and artwork were overall unexceptional for the era.

• aylwin13, Tasha, PhantomGM2602 and 2 others like this

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

- Maya Angelou

#9 PhantomGM2602

PhantomGM2602

Omnipotent Cosmic Hero

• 577 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:59 PM

At the time there was a definite "cool" factor to seeing Champions superheroes and villains in comic-book form. In the mid-to-late 1980s tabletop RPGs were a much bigger hobby than they are today, and Champions was the most widely recognized superhero game. Particularly cool were the various featured characters given Hero System stats at the back of each issue. But objectively speaking, the writing and artwork were overall unexceptional for the era.

If you want to check out the latest on the Champs comic series go to Heroic publishing for all the series including G Girl. http://www.heroicpublishing.com

• pinecone likes this
"I AM IMMORTAL! I HAVE INSIDE ME BLOOD OF KINGS![yeah yeah!]I HAVE NO RIVALS NO MAN CAN BE MY EQUAL! Queen "PRINCES OF THE UNIVERSE" Spookfully yours, The Phantom GameMaster

#10 Christopher R Taylor

Christopher R Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 6,054 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

Its kind of sad what happened to flare.  She had a bit of a skimpy outfit but she really turned into a whore in the comic.

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Two Kings Keep

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more                               Kestrel Arts on Twitter                           Kestrel Arts on Facebook

#11 Armitage

Armitage

Miskatonic U. Librarian

• 1,354 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

A somewhat creepy element was added to Giant (Goliath in the RPG).  It turns out that the harness that gives him his powers also gives him the memories of the previous wearers.

The original Giant was a hero in World War II.  The Giant in the original comic is his son-in-law, who became Giant after the original's death.  This means that he remembers his wife being his daughter.  Years after Giant's death at the hands of the Demon-Master, his son became the third Giant, transformed into an adult when he uses the harness, similar to Captain Marvel/Shazam.  This means that he remembers his mother being his wife and his daughter. 

Hello therapy bills.

• Tasha likes this

#12 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,769 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

Its kind of sad what happened to flare.  She had a bit of a skimpy outfit but she really turned into a whore in the comic.

Writer Dennis Mallonee always displayed a sizeable kinky streak.

• Tasha likes this

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

- Maya Angelou

#13 quozaxx

quozaxx

High Powered Superhero

• 706 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

If you prefer the pdf format, you might try drivethrurpg.com

#14 quozaxx

quozaxx

High Powered Superhero

• 706 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

I meant drivethrucomics.com

the other one is for role playing games and does have a lot of current Hero Game products there.

#15 wcw43921

wcw43921

Occasionally Makes Sense

• 3,148 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

Yes, definitely preferred Southern Knights, especially the earlier stuff.  It had a nice Champions campaign feel to it.  Not perfect, mind you, but generally a fun read.

Especially considering that there was a villain group in Southern Knights called VIPER.

Spoiler

Firm, united let us be,
Rallying round our liberty,
As a band of brothers joined,
Peace and safety we shall find.

"As The Crusader I pledge my services to my country and the cause of democracy.  I will champion the rights of the weak and the oppressed! I will fight crime and evil with relentless fury!"--The American Crusader, Thrilling Comic #19, August 1941

#16 Lucius

Lucius

Too Many To List Now!

• 15,258 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

Writer Dennis Mallonee always displayed a sizeable kinky streak.

Like Dr. Marston?

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary Wonders about that

#17 JmOz

JmOz

I survived Cyber-Games

• 8,787 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:40 PM

Just so you all know, the heroic publishing website has alot of these available for free online...(they have changed some of the names (Freddy is now called "The Fox")

The only thing common about common sense is the common lack of it

...'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh, so smart or oh, so pleasant.' For years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."Harvey --- Thanks Hermit and BobGreenwade

Come by the website @ http://jawedel01.wix.../kountry-gaming

#18 Armitage

Armitage

Miskatonic U. Librarian

• 1,354 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:16 AM

Just so you all know, the heroic publishing website has alot of these available for free online...(they have changed some of the names (Freddy is now called "The Fox")

And as the side effect of a transformation spell that a DEMON Morbane cast on him as a disguise way back in the original miniseries, he's unknowingly developed an alternate personality and occasionally physically and mentally turns into a female superhuman mercenary who knows about him and is trying to find a way to permanently take control.

EDIT: I thought I had a cover somewhere in my Photobucket library.

51sIl6IwtaL.jpg

The woman in the middle is "Foxbat's" alternate self.

#19 Tasha

Tasha

Mac Goddess

• 5,102 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:39 AM

Yeah, because they lost the Licence to all of the characters ex the ones that belonged to Dennis. I am not really sure that I liked how he changed the color and the name of the characters to get around the IP problems.

• Sketchpad likes this

#20 Tasha

Tasha

Mac Goddess

• 5,102 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:41 AM

A "real" Champions Universe comic would have been cool. I had hopes that Cryptic could pull it off like they did with the licensed City of Heroes comic. Unfortunately, Champions Online never caught on so no comic or other licensed things outside of what DOJ published for the RPG.

• Sketchpad likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Comics, Champions