Origins Game Fair

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Stanfield

Brian Stanfield

Low-Powered Superhero

• 328 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

There are going to be a surprising number of Hero events at Origins this year. I participated in one last year with Rod Currie (I think it was him) and enjoyed it. Is anyone else going to be there this year? 

#2 rjcurrie

rjcurrie

35 Years of HERO and Counting

• 3,579 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:12 AM

If it was SuperSquad America (Challenger, Silver Bow, Crimson Fist, Forethought, Nightingale, Impact, El Portador, and Allegro) then it was indeed me.  I will be running five hero events this year:

SuperSquad America -- It’s been 20 years since the modern version of SuperSquad America took to the streets. And over that time, they’ve faced many enemies and had to make many tough decisions. Now, as America’s premier superhero team works to integrate two new team members, they come face-to-face with a dangerous new threat that could change the team and the world forever. Modern day superhero drama and adventure. Role-playing emphasized. (4 hours; Saturday at 1:00 PM)

SuperSquad America: The Originals -- New York City, August 1970. America’s first superhero team faces a potential new foe. Who are the Power Patriots? What do they want? And what is their shocking secret? 1970s Silver Age superhero adventure. Role-playing emphasized. (4 hours; Thursday at 1:00 PM)

Remarkable Wrong-Righters -- They may want to make superheroing fun again. They may have their headquarters in a Malibu beach house. But that doesn’t mean that the Remarkable Wrong-Righters can’t tackle serious threats. But is the Pussy Cat Wizard of Pasadena a serious threat? Light-hearted modern superhero adventure. Role-playing emphasized. (4 hours; Thursday at 7:00 PM)

Friends of Justice -- At the 1936 World Series, Dr. Abraham “Doc” Justice and his friends saved President Franklin Delano Roosevelt from a monster summoned by the Nazis. In appreciation, the president has invited them to the social event of the season: the wedding of FDR Jr. It should prove to be a fun day. After all what could possibly go wrong? 1930s pulp adventure. Role-playing emphasized. (4 hours; Sunday at 10:00 AM)

Saga of the Smiling Fox -- Fifteen years ago, Duke Duvel murdered the royal family of Eyratha and seized the throne. Since then, he has ruled with an iron first. Today, the mysterious swashbuckling Smiling Fox and his band of adventurers dedicate themselves to overthrowing Duvel and restoring rightful rule. Can our heroes find a way to counter the corrupting influence of the powerful Eye of Denmit? And if they do, can they use it to strike a powerful blow against the evil Duke. Fantasy adventure. Role-playing emphasized. (4 hours; Friday at 1:00 PM)

• Brian Stanfield likes this

Rod "The Mad Canuck" Currie
Author of the Hero Designer user manual.
http://www.supersquadamerica.com -- My convention game web site

http://www.rodc.ca -- My freelancing web site

#3 Brian Stanfield

Brian Stanfield

Low-Powered Superhero

• 328 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

Yup, that was the one. I was Silver Bow, if I remember correctly. Are these all continuing campaigns like the SuperSquad America was last year? It was a lot of fun, and the other guys who had more knowledge of the back history had even more fun! It was my first exposure to the 6th ed. rules, and now I'm hooked. I can't do all 5, but I'm going to do at least 2, probably 3 of them this year.

Do you know who is doing the 3rd edition game: Justice League Dark? It's done by Earl Lindsay from Amorphous Blob Games, but I can't find any information about him or them.

#4 rjcurrie

rjcurrie

• 3,579 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

Yes. They are all continuing campaigns.  Although the amount of continuity differs from event to event.

SuperSquad America (SSA) has the greatest amount of continuity and is more likely to feature adventures with ties to the past.  It's the only one of the games with character turnover. Essentially, it is designed around the team having to make tough decisions and the consequences of those decisions.

Remarkable Wrong-Righters (RWR) and SuperSquad America: The Originals (SSA:TO) are pretty much series of individual adventures with the same characters but not a lot of continuity other than the occasional return of an NPC. The adventures for those teams are not designed to lead to the drama that surrounds SSA and thus unlikely to lead to character turnover. 

Friends of Justice (FoJ) has a slight bit more continuity in that I have done sequels to previous adventures and have a couple of continuing subplots.

Finally, Saga of the Smiling Fox (SotSF) has become a series of related adventures as the Fox and his team of rebels move towards their goal of removing Duke Duvel and restoring the Eyrathan royal family. It's structure has become very much like a lot of TV adventure series where each episode can stand on its own but is also clearly part of a bigger story.

Also, all five games are set in the same multiverse.

As for Justice League Dark, all I know is that Amorphous Blob is a longtime convention GMing group and that they have run Champions convention games in the past. I have never played in any of them nor do I know anything about Earl Lindsay himself.

#5 Brian Stanfield

Brian Stanfield

Low-Powered Superhero

• 328 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:05 AM

Thanks! I'll see you in a few weeks.

#6 Brian Stanfield

Brian Stanfield

Low-Powered Superhero

• 328 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

Well, drat. I guess I won't be seeing you. The Origins registration site went down a while back, and by the time I got in to register all the sessions are closed! That's good news for you, but sucks for me! Darn the luck.

#7 rjcurrie

rjcurrie

• 3,579 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

Well, drat. I guess I won't be seeing you. The Origins registration site went down a while back, and by the time I got in to register all the sessions are closed! That's good news for you, but sucks for me! Darn the luck.

I was just on the Origins site and it looks like you can still buy tickets.

Saga of the Smiling Fox and Friends of Justice have sold out. But tickets are still available for SuperSquad America, SuperSquad America: The Originals, and the Remarkable Wrong-Righters. 

In any event, if you don't get tickets and are interested in playing in one (or more of my events), drop by the table with generics. There are often no-shows and I also have an extra character available for each event. So, there is a good shot of you still getting in.

#8 Brian Stanfield

Brian Stanfield

Low-Powered Superhero

• 328 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:10 AM

I was just on the Origins site and it looks like you can still buy tickets.

Saga of the Smiling Fox and Friends of Justice have sold out. But tickets are still available for SuperSquad America, SuperSquad America: The Originals, and the Remarkable Wrong-Righters.

In any event, if you don't get tickets and are interested in playing in one (or more of my events), drop by the table with generics. There are often no-shows and I also have an extra character available for each event. So, there is a good shot of you still getting in.

Thanks for that! I was really looking forward to Saga of the Smiling Fox and Friends of Justice. I'll definitely show up for those, and try to register for another.