Sign in to follow this  
quozaxx

San Angelo Champions on rpol

Welcome true believers.

San Angelo is a city filled with wonders, and the criminals are running rampant.  It's not unusual to see a super powered villain carry an armored car over his head and he leaps off into the sunset.  The city needs heroes.  The city needs Champions.

San Angelo Champions is a Hero 6th Edition, super powered game based on 400 point heroes. (75 of those points from Complications).  Active Points should not exceed 65. No VPPs

I grew up with comics and super powered cartoon like Justice League Unlimited, Batman the Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, Teen Titans, and others.  Most of the comics I read were around the 1980s and 90s.  I did not get into the more gritty comics that were starting to come out during that time period.

So, I'm used to super heroes fighting to knock out and not kill.  Supers put bad guys in jail, not the morgue.  Swearing was not done at all.  And that is the feeling I'm going with this game.  Killing attacks were to take down walls and robots.

Yes, some story arcs were very long (I read Marvel a lot), and some villain escaped more times than they were kept in jail.  (Does Arkham have a revolving door?).  And there were stories that captured the imagination and heart.  This was before the Civil War and Supers fought Villains, not each other. (well sometimes).  That is the feeling I am trying for here.

This game is for about 4 to 6 players.  The heroes must be designed on the Hero Games 6th edition.

The character they make must be no more than 400 total points.  75 of those points come from Complications.

The character must have a decent amount of skills.  15 points MINIMUM!

Limitations MUST limit.  Complication, must complicate a life, and each complication must be different.

Hunted ideas:  VIPER, ARGUS, DEMON, or other main Champions character (must be approved by GM)

I love creativity and thinking outside the box.  I love it when heroes work together and often give bonuses for such things.  So, maybe you might be able to take down Mechanon with 12 blasts.  But what if you took item A and a skill roll to make it 8 blasts?  Or what if you took item A, another hero takes item B, and then you combine your skill rolls and take him in 5 blasts?  Or....  you get the point.

I never make an impossible situation, but sometimes I allow a villain to get away.  Maybe the villain isn't the head villain and they 'need' to get away so they can be followed.  Maybe they need to be seduced, threatened, or just talked to?  Maybe I just need them to get reveal the larger picture first. Sometimes fighting isn't always the answer.

This game is located on rpol.net  The website does not send ads, nor does it cost a dime.  It is one of the largest post by post role playing site I know.  It does ask for an Email address, and confirmation of your age.  (Some other games are for mature or even adults only players)

I am only looking for about 2 or 3 more players, so hurry and join up today. 

Helloooo

I'm interested if you accept players from Europe.

Already having a playable character, among those limits to propose to you.

Please contact me back

Opale

I am expressing interest here. I am thinking of a capable psychokineticist mentallist. I will have a character concept for you shortly. Perhaps by the end of the weekend for your review. I am making this application tentative so far.

Got room for one more?  I have a build in mind for an android character that's functionally a "flying brick" archetype.  It's the product of a prototype AI that reached The Singularity and has been redesigning and improving itself for some time. It eventually reached a point where it could make no more significant improvements upon itself so it decided to craft a series of "offspring", each based on its own unique design, and allow them to compete with one another in the real world until the superior model revealed itself (to what ultimate end, no one knows).  Most of these next-gen AI's fled the lab where they were created, but the unit occupying the first assembly chamber (dubbed "Simulacrum-1" or simply "SimONE" by the lab techs who found it) was still inside when the police and local heroes came to investigate the damage caused by the other robots' escape.  SimONE's personality matrix was coded to embody the heroic ideals often demonstrated by costumed metahumans, and so it has taken up the good fight to protect humanity as it seeks to neutralize its more destructive brethren and find its place in the world...

Got room for one more?  I have a build in mind for an android character that's functionally a "flying brick" archetype.  It's the product of a prototype AI that reached The Singularity and has been redesigning and improving itself for some time. It eventually reached a point where it could make no more significant improvements upon itself so it decided to craft a series of "offspring", each based on its own unique design, and allow them to compete with one another in the real world until the superior model revealed itself (to what ultimate end, no one knows).  Most of these next-gen AI's fled the lab where they were created, but the unit occupying the first assembly chamber (dubbed "Simulacrum-1" or simply "SimONE" by the lab techs who found it) was still inside when the police and local heroes came to investigate the damage caused by the other robots' escape.  SimONE's personality matrix was coded to embody the heroic ideals often demonstrated by costumed metahumans, and so it has taken up the good fight to protect humanity as it seeks to neutralize its more destructive brethren and find its place in the world...

Yes, I have room.  I've already thought of some devious things for your character.

Just in case there is room for one more, I am submitting this character idea. It's a highly specialized mentalist, using technology to "amplify" his powers.

Let me know if this works out. You can find him here: MindScape.

MrKrinster, your MindScape character is unusual with the way the powers are laid out.

Even the three columns of stats for the characteristics are confusing.  I'm taking it that the first column has to do with his focus power, and the rest are natural.

You also have both movement and attacks in the same MP.  That means most of the time, he can either move or attack, but not both on many of the powers.

And, I must admit.  I have never seen both powers and additional powers (with a focus limitation) in a single slot.  

I may have to type this out in my hero designer to have it make more sense.  

I'm not quite sure how to import the HTML version of my character, so instead I've attached the .HDC files for both SimONE and her personal base (where she keeps the equipment for her repairs, and that can serve as an initial gathering place for the PC's).

Let me know what you think...

SimONE_400_05132017.hdc

SimONE Safe House.hdc

Hi Quozaxx,

Yes, the character is quite unique. The "neural amplifier" creates a layer of "additional power".

Allow me to try to answer each of your questions in order:

1. Characteristic Columns:

They are ordered thusly, from left to right: final superheroic values (with amplifier), normal values (without amplifier), and normal cost (without amplifier). The cost of the final values is present in the list of powers, because they essentially are "enhanced stats". You can find them under the entry called "Psycho-Metabolic Focus".

2. Movement and Attack in the same Multipower.

That is correct. Assuming that he is using his mental powers, he cannot teleport very far, and attack at the same time. However, remember that he can still do regular running. And also notice that his short range teleport is a "variable" slot, not a fixed one. So he can do short range "jaunts" and still use some of the powers which do not consume the entire Multipower pool. I aim to make his powers more flexible in the future by upgrading the "fixed" slots into "variable" ones. But that is something for the future.

3. Compound limited powers in a single slot

That is correct: each slot a compound power. Take a look at how the Multipower is bought: the first entry is a paid clean, and the second entry is paid through the amplifier as an OIF. Each power follows the same structure. What this means is that if the character loses the use of the amplifier, his abilities will be roughly cut in half (or whatever proportion is correct for each entry). I didn't like the idea of committing his entire power set to the technology, because if he lost it he would be essentially "normal", or just about powerless. So I came up with the compromise of having the amplifier add roughly an additional 50% power.

You'll notice that since the non-OIF focus part of the Multipower can only have a capacity of 30 Active Points, all base powers are in that range. All additional compound extras fall within the second part, and none of them exceed 65 AP together, as per your campaign limit. However, it is possible for several of the powers to work at the same time. The defensive powers will fall into the Multipower total since together they do not exceed the pool's 70 AP limit.

Hence, Psychokinetic Deflection is 25 AP, and Mental Fortress is 37 AP, at max. Very workable. It leaves a little bit for teleportation, but not much. It is useful for short range escapes, but then again, that combination of powers is meant for when MindScape is under overwhelming assault and just needs to bunker up.

Please let me know how that works out in Hero Designer. I don't have the software, but I hear it is very good.

I have a questions for you:

I rarely use the disadvantage "Unified Power", but I think it may apply to this multipower (and only the multipower). Are you ok with me using it?

Ok, after a large number of corrections, I have added the "Unified Power" disadvantage to the multipower, and also added more detail to describe the Active Point and Real Cost calculation results. It should be much clearer to read the numbers now, and easier to rebuild it for confirmation.

I have also corrected a large number of typos and some math errors that needed to be handled. I also needed to change the healing power: naked advantages are not allowed in a multipower slot, if I recall correctly.

With the addition of Unified Power, I was able to expand the multipower pool to make the character more flexible without exceeding power active point limits.

Here's the new version: MindScape - Unified

The game is called San Angelo Champions

Opale you are approved.

Thanks Quozaxx

here is the character sheet including all Background elements

and Hi Kinister ! glad to see you found time for something finally ^^

Speeding Opale

Rafale.pdf

Yes, me, too.

Playing in a game takes about 1% of the time that running a game does. =)

So, this is easy, compared to what I had planned before.

Let's see if I get in. =)

MrKrinister.  Please apply to the game.  I will have questions there about your questions I'd rather discuss there.

I do appreciate you explaining your character more thoroughly.  It makes more sense now.  

I'm still looking over the character, but the Active point limit is 65 not 70.  But at first glance.  I don't see where you went over 65, I only mentioned it because you mentioned it.  

And I will be asking questions about every character, but on rpol and not here.

Quozaxx:

Attached is a slightly modified version of SimONE's writeup -- no changes to her stats or powers, but I included some more detailed descriptions of her Complications, so as to make my vision for the character a little more clear.  Also, I added an additional Complication, even though I don't need the points for it -- thought it might make things more interesting to give her the "Achilles' Heel" of a back door passcode that would make it easier for Machine-based mentalists to override her actions; I figure this should make up for the fact that I took multiple Social Complications during the first draft of her writeup when you asked that each Complication be unique...

SimONE_400_05152017.hdc

Just to let you know. I don't visit herogames.com every day, so you may have to let me know you've changed something on rpol as well.

Note : room for one or two more characters.

So, looking at this, I do have a few questions before I do any joining:

1. Is there some outlying plot we're going to follow, or is it gonna be more comic-esque with multiple story arcs instead of one, overarching plot line? This is more for sake of history, etc.

2. Kind of a dumb question, but what is the setting of San Angelo like, exactly? Is this a world of your makings, or something like that?

3. This is gonna be in 6th edition, which I do have some pdfs I look at so I have some knowledge of the system. However, are you willing to let someone with little, real experience with the system join? Or is this for people with much higher understanding? Quite frankly I don't think my fiddling with the Hero creator is enough experience. lol

4. With the way you're handling this, are there gonna be gaming sessions we have as a group, or will this just go along as people post over time? I'm so new to this I'm sorry! |D

Excellent questions.  

1.  I do prefer to connect some longer story lines, with multiple story arcs.  But there will be times when it's just a short story that has nothing to do with the rest of the plot.  One character, Ava.  i have been playing with that player for years and years.  She started out in a high school super hero, and is now an adult.  The story is all interconnected.

2.  There is a supplement called San Angelo.  I think it's available in the stores, but it does connect with my personal universe (and the Champion Universe)  It started out in a city called Sentry City.  But I wanted a new background and to start from scratch.

3.  I don't mind if you've been playing for 30 years (like me) or for 5 seconds.  Everyone is welcome and I'm willing to help if you need it.

4.  I hope the group lasts.  But people come and people go.  I often break the group down into smaller groups.  I will say that in a post by post game, the combat lasts a little longer than in a face to face game.  But I try not to stretch that out too much.  I hope that answered your questions.