4 Lang: Native English

0 Lang: Native Kryptonian

2 Navigation [Air] 12-

2 PS: Reporter 11-

Total Skills Cost: 25 Points

Cost Powers

12* Damage Resistance 20 rPD 10 rED

12* EC [Yellow Sun Energy]-15 Points

17* 1) EB 8d6, Variable Special Effects [Heat/Cold] (+1/4), 2x END (-1/2), Variable Disadvantages (-1/4)

10* 2) Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), [[Megascale [1km], Invisible [Hearing], 1/2 END, or Use Underwater Only (-1/4)]]

6* ES: N-Ray Sight [Lead], Cost END (-1/2)

7* ES: Telescopic Hearing +2, Telescopic Sight +2, Ultrasonic Hearing

6* Healing: Regeneration 1 BODY/Turn

5* LS: High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat

Total Powers Cost: 75 Points

Total Cost: 250 Points

*Does Not Work During Green Kryptonite or Red Solar Radiation Exposure (-1/4)

150+ Disadvantages

5 DNPC: Jimmy Olsen (Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

5 DNPC: Lois Lane (Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

10 Hunted: Lex Luthor (As Powerful) 8-

20 PsyL: Code Of The Hero (Very Common/Strong)

20 PsyL: Code Versus Killing (Common/Total)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [Kal-El/Clark Kent] (Occasionally/Major)

20 Suscept: Green Kryptonite, 3d6 STUN/Turn (Uncommon)

10 Vuln: Magic, 1 1/2x STUN (Common)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250 Points

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good but I see one slight problem. Where is Perry White?

I just finished up the Disadvantages.

Perry White would come under his SocL: Secret Identity (Occasionally/Major), where Superman would have to maintain his identity as Clark Kent.

One thing to tweak is how he actually loses his powers under Kryptonite influence. I KNOW this has been portrayed inconsistantly, but some kind of drain or suppress Susceptability as well? Often he can Push himself through it, but it usually shuts his powers down as well as the STUN. 

That's how I'd do it, a vulnerability with a drain, although in the comics he can will power his way through it sometimes, so its not real clear exactly what it is kryptonite actually does to Superman.  I mean supposedly he loses his powers, but he still is strong enough to crush things and tunnel away.  Supposedly it kills him but he doesn't ever really get hurt that badly.  It seems to make him woozy and feel sick, it definitely affects his flight but not his vulnerability (usually).

One thing to tweak is how he actually loses his powers under Kryptonite influence. I KNOW this has been portrayed inconsistantly, but some kind of drain or suppress Vulnerability as well? Often he can Push himself through it, but it usually shuts his powers down as well as the STUN. 

I know that's the classic comic book version, but there have been enough examples such as Batman/Superman: Public Enemies and on Supergirl where they have been able to fight even while exposed to Green Kryptonite.  My rational is that the basic characteristics not effected by Green Kryptonite are based on Earth having less gravity then Krypton.  The powers and characteristics effected by Green Kryptonite or Red Solar Radiation are dependent on access to Yellow Sun Energy which is blocked by both those elements.  Plus this is a character in a Role Playing Game and it wouldn't do to have him become completely useless when exposed to Green Kryptonite.

That's how I'd do it, a vulnerability with a drain, although in the comics he can will power his way through it sometimes, so its not real clear exactly what it is kryptonite actually does to Superman.  I mean supposedly he loses his powers, but he still is strong enough to crush things and tunnel away.  Supposedly it kills him but he doesn't ever really get hurt that badly.  It seems to make him woozy and feel sick, it definitely affects his flight but not his vulnerability (usually).

I did make Green Kryptonite a 3d6 STUN/Turn Susceptibility so he has about a minute before passing out making it pretty dangerous but not instantly incapacitating.

There is one particularly Superman advantage to his EB 8d6, Variable Special Effects [Heat Vision/Super Cold Breath] (+1/4),

2x END, Variable Disadvantage (+1/4).

You can for example take Does Not Work in Vacuum (-1/4), and Does Not Work In Water (-1/4), and STUN Only (-0) for his Super Cold Breath   This allows him to take out his opponents and maintain his Code Versus Killing.

In fact you could take Beam Attack (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), and STUN Only (-0) for his Heat Vision and the special effect is Superman heating whatever weapons the target his holding.

I usually do his heat vision as an RKE, often with Penentrating or AP.  It's commonly used to precision cut (or weld) steel, and he definitely doesn't turn it on normals (just their weapons). But that's varied too over the years.

But it's a pretty good writeup.

One thing to tweak is how he actually loses his powers under Kryptonite influence. I KNOW this has been portrayed inconsistantly, but some kind of drain or suppress Susceptability as well? Often he can Push himself through it, but it usually shuts his powers down as well as the STUN. 

I do two versions of Green Kryptonite.  The baseline version is generic, non-points paid Kryptonite.  Superman has both a Vulnerability and a Susceptibility to it.  Some jackass declares that their character has Kryptonite shoelaces, that's what kicks in.

The second version requires the bad guy to actually buy it as a power.  Metallo has a Kryptonite heart.  He buys it as (we'll say) a 14D6 Energy Blast, "Kryptonite Energy" with a Linked 4D6 Drain vs all Kryptonian powers (+2).  He hits Superman with it, Superman is hurting bad.

You want the really good effects?  You want to leave Superman utterly helpless, laying on the ground writhing in pain?  You buy it.  Depending on who you are, you might get a limitation "only vs Kryptonians" (generally that's not gonna apply if you're part of Kal-El's rogues gallery though -- after all, who else do you regularly fight?).  Otherwise you're stuck with doing 3D6 Stun to him each phase, from your crappy "free sample" Kryptonite.

The most powerful superman I can rember is the one where braniac sent sups 2 million years into the future and Super man AGED 2million years. At the ripe old age of 2million, super man fought off giant garbage collecting robots who were about to throw out the old earth. Split planet earth in half (so as to regenerate the surface top soil???) used his super lungs to inhale an entire atmosphere from another planet and breath it onto the earth. Collect alien animals and proto humanoids from other planets to repopulate the earth. Again doing all this while having aged 2 million years... 

The most powerful superman I can rember is the one where braniac sent sups 2 million years into the future and Super man AGED 2million years. At the ripe old age of 2million, super man fought off giant garbage collecting robots who were about to throw out the old earth. Split planet earth in half (so as to regenerate the surface top soil???) used his super lungs to inhale an entire atmosphere from another planet and breath it onto the earth. Collect alien animals and proto humanoids from other planets to repopulate the earth. Again doing all this while having aged 2 million years... 

That wasn't aging, son.

That was maturity. :)

You'll need a bigger budget. :)

Challenge Accepted!

Superman

Val Char Cost

60*/50 STR 48

15 DEX 15

25 CON 30

12 BODY 4

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

25*/20 PD 12

15*/10 ED 9

4 SPD 15

17*/15 REC 0

50 END 0

55*/50 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 150 Points

Cost Skills

3 Disguise 12-

5 Eidetic Memory

5 FB: International Police Powers

1 FB: Press Pass

4 Lang: Native English

0 Lang: Native Kryptonian

4 Navigation [Air/Space/Time] 12-

2 PS: Reporter 11-

3 Rep: Superhero 14-

3 Streetwise 13-

20 Universal Translator 12-

Total Skills Cost: 50 Points

Cost Powers

16* Damage Resistance 25 rPD 15 rED

50* Multipower (62 Points)

4* u) EB 10d6, Variable Special Effects [Heat Vision/Super Cold Breath] (+1/4), Variable Disadvantages (-1/4)

4* u) Entangle 5d6 DEF 5, Variable Special Effects [bending Steel/Ice] (+1/4), Variable Disadvantages (-1/4)

5* u) Extra-Dimensional Movement [Any Location and Date in Time]

4* u) FTL Travel: 64 Million LY/Year [2 LY/Second], Cost END Only To Activate (-1/4)

2* u) Healing: Regeneration 3 BODY/Turn

4* u) Missile Deflection [All Ranged Attacks] +5, Adjacent, Variable Special Effects [Heat Vision/Invulnerability] (+1/4)

5* u) STR +40, No END (+1/2)

1* u) Transform: Instant Change [Any]

20* ES: Microscopic Sight 10x, N-Ray Sight [Lead], PER +1, Telescopic Hearing +2, Telescopic Sight +2, Ultrasonic Hearing

20* Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), [[Megascale [1km], Invisible [Hearing], 1/2 END, or Use Underwater Only (-1/4)]]

15* LS: High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self Contained

Total Powers Cost: 150 Points

*Does Not Work During Green Kryptonite or Red Solar Radiation Exposure (-1/4)

Total Cost: 350 Points

200+ Disadvantages

10 DNPC: Jimmy Olsen (Unaware Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

15 DNPC: Jonathan & Martha Kent (Normal) 8-

5 DNPC: Lois Lane (Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

10 Hunted: Brainiac (As Powerful) 8-

15 Hunted: Lex Luthor (As Powerful/NCI) 8-

5 PhyL: Undergoes Random Minor Mental Or Physical Changes Lasting Up To 24 Hours After Each New Exposure To Red Kryptonite (Infrequently/Slightly)

20 PsyL: Code Of The Hero (Very Common/Strong)

20 PsyL: Code Versus Killing (Common/Total)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [Kal-El/Clark Kent] (Occasionally/Major)

20 Suscept: Green Kryptonite, 3d6 STUN/Turn (Uncommon)

20 Vuln: Magic, 2x STUN (Common)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 330

The vulnerability to magic was originally a reaction to the ludicrous level power creep that occurred during the early Silver Age (Super sneezes blowing out suns!).  And the real kicker is that it wasn't originally a vulnerability to magic but rather a vulnerability to 5th dimensional Impish 'magic' which was and has always been reality manipulation that everyone including magical characters have been vulnerable to.  Example:  The most recent episode of the new animated series Justice League Action show the entire league affected by Mxy's 'magic' (including Zatanna).  Bad writing and editing over the years turned this into a vulnerability to Zatanna-level magic for lack of a better term.  They decided to ignore this in the JLA/Avengers crossover when they had Superman show the ability to Block (as in catch in his hand!) Thor's swing of his hammer.

HM

They decided to ignore this in the JLA/Avengers crossover when they had Superman show the ability to Block (as in catch in his hand!) Thor's swing of his hammer.

Well that was based on fan votes.  They asked fans to vote on who they thought would win each matchup, and wrote the winners based on that no matter what made sense.  Thor should have wiped the floor with Superman due to magic (although Superman's almost never-used super speed could have turned the tide) but the winner triumphed :)

Having superman vulnerable to magic actually is a nice twist, since it keeps him from being too mighty.  He's still really tough to it, just not as tough as against mundane stuff.  Sometimes.  Usually.  Depending on the story, time period, and writer.

There's also the possibility that Supes could do that because he's Worthy (Edit: Chris got that one in before me!) of wielding Mjolnir and the magic is actually working in his favour for once. Especially if Thor was having one of his less-than-worthy days :)

Was that the one where Cap and Bats squared off, did a ninja evaluation of each other and decided to talk it out, while all the reckless Avengers and Leaguers went at to hammer and tongs?

I've got the Titans/X-Men one somewhere, but have only had the Avengers/JLA one described to me.

There's also the possibility that Supes could do that because he's Worthy of wielding Mjolnir and the magic is actually working in his favour for once. Especially if Thor was having one of his less-than-worthy days :)

Was that the one where Cap and Bats squared off, did a ninja evaluation of each other and decided to talk it out, while all the reckless Avengers and Leaguers went at to hammer and tongs?

I've got the Titans/X-Men one somewhere, but have only had the Avengers/JLA one described to me.

Yes.

:)

HM