New Series--The Orville

wcw43921

I dunno. Galaxy Quest left a very high bar for Star Trek satire.

To my mind, Galaxy Quest wasn't so much about satirizing Star Trek as it was about satirizing the actors playing it.  Apart from the opening scene, we saw very little of the actual show, just the actors trying to live up to their roles.

Yes, but in so doing they were satirizing the show.  "Oh, I see you managed to take your shirt off."  "What is this thing? I mean, it serves no useful purpose for there to be a bunch of chompy, crushy things in the middle of a hallway."  "Ducts!  Why is it always ducts?"

That it was also one of the top three Star Trek films ever made is just gravy.

I give Seth McFarlane credit for being good with gags. There have been some really good gags in Family Guy, especially throwaway references like this one:

the problem with Family Guy is that every character is horribly unpleasant (in different ways) and incapable of empathy. At least Hank Hill (Mike Judge's King of the Hill) tried to do the right thing. Peter Griffin is a selfish shmuck for its own sake.

So there are going to be funny moments in The Orville. The question is whether the characters will be interesting enough that we care.

• 3 months later...

Nick Blood aka Lance Hunter is coming back to Agents of SHIELD.

Too bad they aren't both coming back.

Back on topic:

Saw first episode of The Orville tonight. Was pretty OK. They need to get out of the habit of explaining the jokes fast, IMO. We're going to keep watching and see if it gets better or at least stays watchable.

I give Seth McFarlane credit for being good with gags. There have been some really good gags in Family Guy, especially throwaway references like this one:

the problem with Family Guy is that every character is horribly unpleasant (in different ways) and incapable of empathy. At least Hank Hill (Mike Judge's King of the Hill) tried to do the right thing. Peter Griffin is a selfish shmuck for its own sake.

So there are going to be funny moments in The Orville. The question is whether the characters will be interesting enough that we care.

Yeah, with King of the Hill, most of the characters despite their flaws were basically decent. 

Honestly, the only thing Seth MacFarlane has ever done that I can stand to watch for more than 30 seconds is Cosmos. And he was just the money for that.

There are many of you here whose opinions I trust. I'm relying heavily on you to help me determine whether The Orville is worth watching.