Teen Champions

Radio1

Along with the other post I made about the Teen Titans, I was interested in reading about the Teen Champions supplement to the game. I have seen a lot of original thought in these forums, what kind of teen superhero team can this forum put together? Interested to hear your ideas, or creations that you have seen or used. Thanks!

Regarding the Origins of Team Super-Teams:

Magical Girls/Boys make obvious teams (often because their power-broker has an agenda they are using the characters to fulfill).

You can also go the Young Justice route, and have every (or most) members of the team be the sidekicks of an established super-team.

You can have a group of teens who were already members of the same club or group exposed to a shared origin incident (such finding alien technology which 'choses' them, or the group having an unusual reaction to a biological weapon or disaster due to some unforeseen circumstance).

Another idea is the "super school". All the members of the team are young super who are new to there powers and are at a special school which along with math and reading, teaches the young how to handle there powers. If they become "good", "evil", or simply normal people with superpowers is up to the student.

The Trismegistus Council - Academy of Magic,  headquartered in Scotland’s Mackenzie House, the Council is the preeminent known order of white magic on Earth. The council was founded in the early 19th century to counter the Circle of the Scarlet Moon. Generally known only to those who deal with the mystic side of Champions. Mostly working in a support role for adventurers, the group’s primary goals are to encourage mages to responsibly use magic and safeguard the world from threats from other dimensions. They are enemies of DEMON and the Circle of the Scarlet Moon.  

In the aftermath of several world shaking events The Trismegistus Council reopens The Academy of Magic to rebuild their ranks and train and guide the next generation of Superhero Mages. 

​The Academy Of Magic makes it's appearances in  in selected states where children with mystic potential can be found.

​Case in Point: The Academy opens a branch in Ravenswood Academy in Med City, Capitolis, Churchill City and Queen city( Charlotte) in North Carolina.

​Also in select cities in New York, New Jersey, Georgia and of course Washington DC.

​The Court of Dreams, the Soldiers Of The Moon, and the Glitter Force are all trained by  Members of the Council BTW. 

​The Academy Of Magic makes it's appearances in  in selected states where children with mystic potential can be found.

​Case in Point: The Academy opens a branch in Ravenswood Academy in Med City, Capitolis, Churchill City and Queen city( Charlotte) in North Carolina.

​Also in select cities in New York, New Jersey, Georgia and of course Washington DC.

​The Court of Dreams, the Soldiers Of The Moon, and the Glitter Force are all trained by  Members of the Council BTW. 

Who are the Soldiers Of The Moon?

Obviously, if you have a bunch of super teens in the one city, there's a fair chance some of them will start hanging out together.

The ease with which they will meet depends in part on the size of the city. If some places become known as superteen hangouts, other superteens will start turning up there.

One example of this I used was a bridge in Brisbane, Australia. Superteens in the setting used to gather at the top of the bridge's pylons, overlooking the city.

Once you have a bunch of teens hanging out, clique formation will follow naturally.

I've been working on a Ginormous project of all-girl schools.

The Academy located on the Isle of Wight

Jaeger Institute located in the Bavarian Alps in Germany.

Xin Hong Weibing State controlled school in China.

Cadet Corps State controlled school in Russia.

While I haven't used it in a campaign, I had been playing with the following teen heroes (aka The Teen Champions) in a 4th ed game:

- Kid Quantum: Quantum's kid brother who gained similar powers after being caught in an accident with his sister.

- Roustabout: Speedster with a record. Now he's trying to go the straight and narrow due to dating Amethyst.

- Amethyst: Mutant heroine with the ability to change into a smooth, crystal form with armor and super-strength.

- Protector: Cyber-hero that was saved by Defender after sacrificing himself to save others. Is a powerhouse with energy blasts and rocket feet.

- Arcana: Former magickal disciple of Demon that was saved by Solitaire. She has arcane blasts, can gate around, and can banish others.

- Youngblood: Teen crimefighter with martial arts and deduction skills. Doesn't use many gadgets and is a bit implusive.

- Diva: Sonic controller that's also a pop star. No secret ID, and is the team's leader.

Maybe I'll have to bring them back in the AoH series. ;)

One can say a lot about someone named Youngblood. But, at least he is not Seeker's kid sidekick named Kid Seeker (*rolls eyes at that name*).

Never saw Seeker as the sidekick type. I see Youngblood more impulsive and "not needing the team" until he gets over his head. 

Oh, that also reminds me, it should be "Kid Quantum" not "Teen Quantum". Honestly, the only one I see as kind of a sidekick is Arcana, who would be Solitaire's apprentice.

I think the only Teen Champion I've ever invented was "Kid Ronin", but I've never statted him out fully or used him in a campaign.

Kid Ronin was an "average high-schooler" (with low superhuman levels of Speed and Dexterity) who found a Ancient Magic Sword which imparted unto its chosen master the collective martial arts mastery of all of its previous owners. The sword couldn't be destroyed, or taken away from him (it was Restrainable, not a Focus), and it appeared in his hand whenever he called it.

I could see easily Seeker becoming a teacher/mentor type. It would be a convenient way to both write him out of an active role in a setting, and justify new characters.

Eventually, a student becomes a teacher, and a seeker becomes a master.

But no, I wouldn't name a character "Kid Seeker", outside a silly game.

• 3 months later...

I had a bunch of teen mutants I made up but never actually got into play that were a nod to the New Mutants. Not actually versions of them - the powers and personalities were original, but the dynamic was similar - widely varying power levels, tending towards weak or powerful-but-without-much-control. A non-mutant ring in member (Cave Girl) who they found while adventuring and took in.

In my current 20 years on campaign update I've worked out what happened to them all. One went bad and became a team nemesis and killed two of the others (but not before they'd had a baby girl together, who's now a young adult). One went from plant control to being a plant monster. The weakest one naturally became one of the most powerful (minor temperature control to major weather powers). Others have simply grown up and moved up a power bracket (they were all built as 75pt supers).

A lot of my other old NPCs have had kids and there's scope for me to set up some kind of super-school.

I've moved the Sailor Senshi from River City, Pennsylvania (my hometown of Pittsburgh) to San Angelo, California.  Being minors, they have a very unofficial understanding with the local police.  It began after they saved the head of the local paranormal squad from a minion of the Dark Queen.

I missed this thread the first time around.

In a past Champions campaign, I created a group of teen supers that I had my players run for a few sessions.  (They were exploring an abandoned underground 1950s hero team base located under their high school.)  It worked surprisingly well.

I've attached the writeups, which are from 5th edition, in case they're helpful to anybody.

TeenHeroesFull.pdf