Best Defense Spread

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Black Rose

Black Rose

Cosmically Powerful Super

• 1,084 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:59 AM

Some point back, I was reading a thread here; can't recall the title, if I could, I wouldn't be asking this question. IIRC, the topic had something to do with which Defenses people preferred; specifically, Damage Negation, Damage Reduction, and Resistant Protection. At some point, someone (I keep thinking it was Tasha, but I could be wrong) gave a really well-thought-out breakdown of where each one best stood out.

The final conclusion was that, while each had their good points, the best was a (roughly equal) mix of all three. Now, since I "know" that, I could stop here. Thing is, I'd really like to reread that thread, and also copy'n'paste the info for my own records. Does anyone else recall this, and would you please point me towards it?

Thank you, HEROdom Assembled.

Wilde: Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

RAH: Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

#2 DasBroot

DasBroot

Cosmically Powerful Superhero

• 970 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

Sounds like an interesting thread.

Damage Negation hurts my head.

I'm fond of what I call 50/50/50:  I pick a defense number that I want (say 30) and buy 15 rD, 15nD, and then 50% normal Damage Reduction.  If I do it right then I'm taking a little damage every hit with a solid backup for 'what do you mean Lord Soth's fireball does 20d6?' occasional super attack.  So versus an average DC 12 hit of 42 I'd be taking 6 but if there was a great roll (60) I'm happy taking 15.

"I threw a rock at him!"

*silence*

".... it was a *big* rock."

#3 Deadman

Deadman

Rotting Flesh

• 266 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

Are you talking about this thread?  http://www.herogames...-other-defenses

Most probably Killer Shrike's take on it located here.  http://www.killershr...geNegation.aspx

• Killer Shrike and Hyper-Man like this
"Is death the last sleep? No--it is the last and final awakening." --Sir Walter Scott