Nah...Better Not

Clonus

For what character ideas have you thought..."On second thought I am never going to be able to use this.">

Example:  Suicide Squid.  This extremely agile thrill-seeking molluscoid alien swings through the city on his long tentacles performing feats of inexplicable daring-do.  

For what character ideas have you thought..."On second thought I am never going to be able to use this.">

Example: Suicide Squid. This extremely agile thrill-seeking molluscoid alien swings through the city on his long tentacles performing feats of inexplicable daring-do.

Better not? Are you kidding? That's an awesome idea!

On a mollusc related note, I had an idea years ago for a character inspired by Octomom that I never built. Not sure if I wrote anything down at the time but I still remember a few things. They're probably best left unshared. :P

I discard at least half of all my character concepts due to excessive silliness or cheese.

Penalty Box - a referee with Usable as an Attack on Desolidify.

Press Gang - A character with a lot of mutiforms - each of which is a manifested powerset and personality of a super villain he has locked away by carrying them to a prison pocket dimension created with Extra-Dimensional movement after defeating them (which is a flat and  featureless plane that provides full life support).

Mime Maker - His main attack is Barrier (fixed shape, cube) and Darkness (Hearing, which covers speech).  If you entertain him he'll dismiss the Barrier.  Otherwise... you can mime dying of asphyxiation or dehydration.

Corn Field - Simply a brutally effective Mental Illusionist with Cumulative on everything. Aims for that +30 and puts you in a corn maze in your own mind.

Better not? Are you kidding? That's an awesome idea!

On a mollusc related note, I had an idea years ago for a character inspired by Octomom that I never built. Not sure if I wrote anything down at the time but I still remember a few things. They're probably best left unshared. :P

I suppose that's where video-game protagonist "Octodad" comes from.  

As for awesome I have an ever-growing file of awesome ideas, an alarming number of which involve animals and word play (Venom Mouse, Furious George, Shock (the Monkey) Vengeance Bunny (he keeps killing, and killing and killing...), .  It's just some of them are a little too awesome. 

There are no ideas too stupid for a one-shot villain!

I've written up: 

• Bio-Degrader (Transform organic matter)
  • Intoxicant (Area Effect Drain INT can be killer!)
  • Mosquito, Master of Vampirism (yes, his costume looked like a certain mutant supremacist)
  • Pinball (an android composed of pinball machine parts, lots of EB with Bouncing attacks).

You know, even the best character concept can be explained so it sounds stupid. How much better is it to take a dumb concept and make it awesome?

Example:  Suicide Squid.  This extremely agile thrill-seeking molluscoid alien swings through the city on his long tentacles performing feats of inexplicable daring-do.  

For a moment, I thought you were going to go with the classic 1990's character from the old USENET rec.arts.comics newsgroup that resulted from a typo.

One of my players was good at coming up with odd character concepts.  Like Frat Man (and his faithful sidekick, Keg-Boy, aka the Boy Kegger), who gets stronger the more he drinks.  He also wanted to create a Fantasy Hero wizard with a spell:  Exploding Porcupine.  (Spell component:  one live porcupine)  And I swear that he came up with The Waffler before the Mystery Men movie came out. 

Another player suggested each player create a character with points in a car (specifically the Yugo).  Then, when needed, we could combine to form Yugotron, a giant car-robot.

As GM, I can't think of any character concept too goofy to at least get mention in the news during my Champions campaign, if not actually put in an in-game appearance.  My players had to fight the Recycler, who built a giant robot from trashed robots and other junk left over from various super-fights.  Though not my own concept, my players fought beside the man-chicken hero Rhode Island Red twice (and still think he's awesome).

I got a lot of use out of ROVer, a man with a variety of remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), most of which were designed to look like dogs. 

Not a character concept, but a hero team name that might have seemed unwise:  the Virginia Alliance for Global Interdiction and National Assistance.   They came about because my players were dragging their feet at picking a superhero team name.  So one day the news mentioned VAGINA, who were named by the editor of the Heronet Herald after a group of Virginia-based heroes refused to name themselves.  (It worked wonders -- that night, the players picked a team name.)

Well, I thought up Professor Robert Steriaca, the "game tech mad scientist and not so closited Seeker fan", but Bolo made him real (well, as real as anything in a role-playing game).

I created a British superhero named Phantasm, who is a teenage zombie-type and horror fan. Only got to play him a few times.

My bondage loving time traveler Paradox Timely was someone I created but never played. Another created but not played is Jet Justice, a space hero living in a superhero world.

That is all I can think up right now. We all have about one or more oddball characters.

Most of my discarded character concepts revolve around what should be a relatively easy concept that gets bogged down in Hero cost structures. It's been long enough since I even built a Hero character that an immediate example escapes me.

I don't let game mechanics get in my way as a GM.  While I might find it too much work to calculate the point totals for Miss Murder (who can turn into her body weight in crows who share a hive mind and you'll note is yet another awesome idea involving animals and wordplay) I don't let that stop me.  I just note that the city has telepathically linked intelligent crows who sometimes show up as a human.  The details can be hand-waved.  

Samsara:

A superhero named after the cycle of reincarnation in Hinduism whose primary superpower was massive amounts of regeneration triggered on death. Apparently Marvel made something like it though "Dead Girl" was a zombie with super strength and mine was a flesh and blood normal with slightly elevated STR, Con, and Pre, after all she wasn't ever going to stay dead for more than 12 seconds or so.

Well, Jon Juan The Immortal Superlover comes to mind, but I figure the other players--especially if they were female--would get tired of him real quick, given his Obsessed With Beautiful Women Complication (Very Common, Total Commitment=25 pts.)

Well, now you've got me tempted to write the guy up....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says wait a minute, Gilgamesh went on an epic quest for that plant and Jon Juan just stumbles upon it? 5d6+ of Luck....

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a origin and power I'm fine with.  Demigod descended from Dionysius with the power to turn fluids to alchohol and can use it on living things dialing the effect anywhere between mildly tipsy to dead of alcohol poisoning.  But the name...Inibri-8.  Nah.  Better not.