Move-By HKA: check my math?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigdamnhero

bigdamnhero

Don't try this at home!

• 6,220 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

Wolf Girl has 45 STR, and Claws built as 1d6K Penetrating. That’s 12DCs at +1/2, which works out to 3d6K Pen with STR. (And yes, she bought Pen for the full STR+HKA, not just the HKA part.)

She wants to do a Move-By with 20m of Running.

Halving her STR rounds to 23, which is 5 DCs, which at +1/2 Adv comes out to 1d6K Pen.

Adding the Claws back in brings us back up to 9 DCs, 2d6K Pen. (The 1d6 from the HKA is not halved, right?)

20m of Running adds +2d6, which is really +2 DCs because of the Advantage, so that gets us back up to 11 DCs, 2d6+1 K, Pen?

Wolf-Girl takes 1/3 of that as Normal Damage, which works out to 4d6 Normal.

Does that all look about right? I’ll be honest in 30+ years of playing Hero this is the one area that’s still a little fuzzy to me. I tend to handwave it a bit in game, but I have time to think this one out between sessions. Thanks,

"If I ever decide to kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

#2 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,822 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

Wolf Girl has 45 STR, and Claws built as 1d6K Penetrating. That’s 12DCs at +1/2, which works out to 3d6K Pen with STR. (And yes, she bought Pen for the full STR+HKA, not just the HKA part.)

IF the Penetrating Advantage was purchased for the STR as well as the HKA THEN she should do a total 4d6K Penetrating as no prorating is needed.

re: Move By

Technically 23 STR will become 1d6+1K w/Pen.

The 20m Running is the only part that gets prorated for the Penetrating advantage meaning it really only 1 DC w/Pen. 

I might allow the extra here to combine with the extra "3" STR to make for a total 3d6K Pen Move By (or 13 DC total normal for 1/3 damage purposes).

:)

HM

#3 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,822 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:10 PM

If the character purchased the Passing Strike maneuver from the fictional 'speedster' martial art then the STR damage would not get halved.

5 Passing Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +v/10; FMove

HM

#4 Deadman

Deadman

Rotting Flesh

• 266 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

She wants to do a Move-By with 20m of Running.

Halving her STR rounds to 23, which is 5 DCs, which at +1/2 Adv comes out to 1d6K Pen.

Adding the Claws back in brings us back up to 9 DCs, 2d6K Pen. (The 1d6 from the HKA is not halved, right?)

20m of Running adds +2d6, which is really +2 DCs because of the Advantage, so that gets us back up to 11 DCs, 2d6+1 K, Pen?

Wolf-Girl takes 1/3 of that as Normal Damage, which works out to 4d6 Normal.

Does that all look about right? I’ll be honest in 30+ years of playing Hero this is the one area that’s still a little fuzzy to me. I tend to handwave it a bit in game, but I have time to think this one out between sessions. Thanks,

According to the writeup for Move By in 6E2 pg.70-72 the Weapon is at normal damage (subject to the GM's discretion) which means your attack would look like this.

1d6 Penetrating KA

+(1d6+1) for STR 23 (STR Halved per Move By; Penetrating)

+1 for Movement (20/10)/1.5 = 1.33=1 DC (Adjusted by the Penetrating Advantage)

Your Move By with Claws would do 2 1/2d6 Penetrating HKA.  She would take 1/3 of the total Active Points in Normal Damage so 60/3=20=4d6.

If your GM made you half all of the base damage it would be 2d6+1 Penetrating KA

"Is death the last sleep? No--it is the last and final awakening." --Sir Walter Scott