Greywind

The dice can kill you: Why first edition AD&D is king

The 1e and Known World megabundles are unpassuppable. Sorry, wallet!

Yeah. I'm doing my best to resist buying the Known World megabundle but I'm already half convinced that I should go ahead and get it.

Yeah. I'm doing my best to resist buying the Known World megabundle but I'm already half convinced that I should go ahead and get it.

I know how you feel. I went for the Planescape Megabundle, too, despite my better judgement. Couldn't be helped, I swear! :)

About class and race restrictions, I know that there are people out there that play to concept. You know the 8 INT magic user. I just wonder how many people complain about a class restriction- clerics can't use swords or no dwarf magic users not because they want to play them, it's just restricted so it's a forbidden fruit concept. And as I mentioned, wonder how many play against type not so much as concept but just to be contrary? I really makes no difference as long as you are having fun. I just think though that if people re really honest with themselves a lot hate against a game system would disapate.

I got an email from DriveThruRPG yesterday with the subject line: "The OSR Extravaganza Is Here!"  It goes on to say "In addition to listing over 1,300 OSR titles at 15% off, the OSR Extravaganza features three great bundles for Dungeons & Dragons, all at 80% or more off the total bundle value."

Basic D&D — Known World Megabundle (BECMI)

1st ed. AD&D — AD&D Core Megabundle (1e)

2nd ed. AD&D — Planescape Megabundle (2e)

Thank you for sharing this!

The Cavalier was in the Dragon first, it was an interesting class, but it was kind of overpowered, I agree.  Barbarian was the same way, basically some guy's pet class idea that got all the Cool Stuff.

The Barbarian seemed to us an attempt to replicate one particular character from the source literature: Conan. The whole bit about breaking magic items was right off the pages of Robert E. Howard's stories.

I use to have an issue of Dragon magazine which had a system to create custom classes. I think it was for AD&D 2e. I created a Half-Orc cleric who could wield swords!

I don't understand why that never caught on.

Or maybe everyone who it would appeal to found Hero System instead.

Lucius Alexander

Customized palindromedary taglines

I don't understand why that never caught on.

Or maybe everyone who it would appeal to found Hero System instead.

Lucius Alexander

Customized palindromedary taglines

Who knows? Pet rocks became a fad at one point. I'm sure predicting the weather is easier than what a RPGer will spend money on.

I was a Traveller lad but the experience is much the same in regards to "the dice tell the story". Mind you, with 2D6 characteristics and skills being more important plus the ability to buff up those characteristics in character generation anyway, a set of low rolls didn't cripple you in Traveller as much as they may have done in D&D.

The dice can kill you? Well, if you fired a metal d20 out of a shotgun or dropped it off the empire state building onto someone's head, yeah, I could see that.

Overly dramatic (and I'm not that sure a typical plastic die would strike with lethal force at terminal velocity... they're not very dense and I reckon their drag coefficient would be quite high...)

But they ARE a choking hazard :)

Edit: Using http://www.calctool.org/CALC/eng/aerospace/terminal for a common 16mm, 4g six-sided die, and assuming a drag coefficient of 1, the terminal velocity comes out at about 14 m/s (~50kph), which would certainly sting, but is not really lethal, and has less than four joules of kinetic energy.

Your metal d20 might be a different matter (especially fired from a shotgun at close range), but I dunno.

Overly dramatic (and I'm not that sure a typical plastic die would strike with lethal force at terminal velocity... they're not very dense and I reckon their drag coefficient would be quite high...)

But they ARE a choking hazard :)

Edit: Using http://www.calctool.org/CALC/eng/aerospace/terminal for a common 16mm, 4g six-sided die, and assuming a drag coefficient of 1, the terminal velocity comes out at about 14 m/s (~50kph), which would certainly sting, but is not really lethal, and has less than four joules of kinetic energy.

Your metal d20 might be a different matter (especially fired from a shotgun at close range), but I dunno.

A metal d20, encased in a sabot to let is go down the barrell of a 12 guage smoothly, is quite lethal. Just....trust me on this.