Help with Generic Heros

JmOz

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few things that strike me as odd:

Beast:

Her damage seems a little high, 12d6N Armor Piercing Claws is a lot of damage, even for a  Standard Superhero. It is also a little odd that you chose HA over HKA (which is how claws are usually written.

Buying REC Unified with her Regeneration is an unusual choice, but I think in this case it fits. Also I like your use of Resistant Defense as "Instant Regeneration"; You might consider Always On for this, since regenerating around a syringe or scalpel might actually be a legit hindrance in that it prevents them from receiving medical care for things they can't heal from naturally. 

Beast Hearing is misspelled "Heearing".

Her sheet doesn't note her Movement Speeds (which are normally included in Characteristics), but the concept strikes me as the type of character that should have extra Leaping and Swimming.

Belt:

​"Combat Disc (Legal)" I'm not sure what "legal" in parentheses means here.

The Grapple/Swingline should probably be separate slots, since it is unlikely that you can use that gadget for both in the same phase.

Skills (and therefore Skill Levels) aren't legal to place in a Framework (because they are Special Powers). You should note this in your description, or buy the power outside the framework.

The Motorcycle slot confuses me to no end. This should really be a Vehicle instead of a framework slot. Where does it even go when you aren't using it, and why can't Belt (logically) use both his Motorcycle and Rebreather (or Discs for that matter).

Blur:

First note, a Flying Speedster... You almost never see these. I'm not complaining mind you, it is a very cool concept, but if the goal is to represent typical stereotypes this one is a little off mark.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with having so many Unified Game Elements, She is highly susceptible to Drains, and has no Power Defense. 

For a Speedster... she's actually kind of slow. Only 44m per second at full speed. The example Speedster in her range (Kinitik) can move 23.2km per second at full speed, or something like 530 times as fast. Yet at the same time, her Flight Power is kind of expensive for her point level (400-point characters usually cap out around 80 APs).

Her Damage is going to be kind of low, and she has no tricks (speedster or otherwise) to make up for it. She could really use some Speedster Tricks (such as an Autofire HA)

Blast:

This one is pretty bog standard, I don't have many comments on her.

For Attack Multipowers, I tend to prefer a smaller number of variable slots which can be use in Combination. For example, one variable slot with 15d6 Blast, and another with 15d6 Flash (Sight), or 12d6 of each at Half-END, that the player can mix dice of during play as a Combined Attack.

It is a little odd to have both Code Vs. Killing and a 5d6 RKA as your best attack. That attack is powerful enough to kill a "Normal Person" outright with a perfectly average roll. It is also odd that her "Full Blast" is an RKA, but her "Focused Blast" is a Half-END Armor Piercing Blast (it should also be an RKA, and not cost Half END).

And... now I'm kinda petering out (which is what I get for drinking and posting). I'll review the last three in the morning, and probably revise my earlier critiques when I'm actually sober.

I think I will need to add a "Powers/Tactics" section. 

Beast: Originally had a 3 slot MP that included a HKA and the HA (Plus clinging), was trying to simplify the character...might add it back in

Belt: will drop legal description (I copied and pasted from a list of 100 UT belt items)

Blur: Redesigning

Blast: Think of the RKA as "Used vs robots and walls"

Starting with this detailed review as a good baseline.

Beast:

Her damage seems a little high, 12d6N Armor Piercing Claws is a lot of damage, even for a Standard Superhero. It is also a little odd that you chose HA over HKA (which is how claws are usually written.

I see a very broad damage range in these characters, which will be reduced a bit with revised Blur. I also see a high DC to Defense ratio. Beast and Brick can one punch most of the characters. If that’s the kind of rapid combat (probably lots of use of cover, blocks, dodges; first strike and surprise attacks very important) desired, it will work, but it’s not the typical “Supers trade blows over many phases” model most Champions gamers are used to.

Killing attacks in 4 colour Supers are a poor thematic choice, and a poor choice for effectiveness. The 15 DC normal attacks will one punch most of these characters. A 5d6 KA will not, and it will be pretty ineffectual against several of them. I like using AP for claws in the 6e world. It makes a pretty common ability in the source material useful.

Belt:

"Combat Disc (Legal)" I'm not sure what "legal" in parentheses means here.

The Grapple/Swingline should probably be separate slots, since it is unlikely that you can use that gadget for both in the same phase.

Skills (and therefore Skill Levels) aren't legal to place in a Framework (because they are Special Powers). You should note this in your description, or buy the power outside the framework.

The Motorcycle slot confuses me to no end. This should really be a Vehicle instead of a framework slot. Where does it even go when you aren't using it, and why can't Belt (logically) use both his Motorcycle and Rebreather (or Discs for that matter).

“Why can’t he use them all together?” is a logic flaw of many Multipowers. Shouldn’t a higher power electric bolt be more damaging and more bright (so more Flash dice) at the same time, not trade one off against the other? Belt could have a “Summon Motorcycle” slot – but I also had a vision of him folding it up to put it back in the belt.

Any hope he could use a VPP of the “choose x gadgets to have working at the same time from the y slots he has available” variety?

b]Blur:[/b]

First note, a Flying Speedster... You almost never see these. I'm not complaining mind you, it is a very cool concept, but if the goal is to represent typical stereotypes this one is a little off mark.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with having so many Unified Game Elements, She is highly susceptible to Drains, and has no Power Defense.

I’m not sure I would allow the limitation if a player has a pile of power defense – how Limiting is it then? Also, I see no Adjustment Powers in the seven sample characters, which I take to mean they are pretty rare in the game world.

For a Speedster... she's actually kind of slow. Only 44m per second at full speed. The example Speedster in her range (Kinitik) can move 23.2km per second at full speed, or something like 530 times as fast. Yet at the same time, her Flight Power is kind of expensive for her point level (400-point characters usually cap out around 80 APs).

Her Damage is going to be kind of low, and she has no tricks (speedster or otherwise) to make up for it. She could really use some Speedster Tricks (such as an Autofire HA)

I like Movement in a Multipower – a Megascale slot adds noncombat speed. Moving 158 km/hr seems pretty fast to me, but again what are campaign norms? The damage issue is already identified.

Blast:

This one is pretty bog standard, I don't have many comments on her.

For Attack Multipowers, I tend to prefer a smaller number of variable slots which can be use in Combination. For example, one variable slot with 15d6 Blast, and another with 15d6 Flash (Sight), or 12d6 of each at Half-END, that the player can mix dice of during play as a Combined Attack.

The mix & match model is not really conducive to the “basic character for starting player” goal. At the same time, that also suggests putting standard combat maneuvers the character is likely to use on the sheet (Blur), showing Bolt’s Martial Arts damage with and without Crossbow Club and noting standard tactics and uses of powers, like Blast’s restriction of the KA to non-living targets.

It is a little odd to have both Code Vs. Killing and a 5d6 RKA as your best attack. That attack is powerful enough to kill a "Normal Person" outright with a perfectly average roll. It is also odd that her "Full Blast" is an RKA, but her "Focused Blast" is a Half-END Armor Piercing Blast (it should also be an RKA, and not cost Half END).

I find it odd when we assume the characters, rather than the players, got to choose their powers. I’m sure Blast would prefer non-lethal attack powers, but that is not what her origin, whatever that may be handed her. So she plays the cards she is dealt, and uses her abilities as guided by her personality, including a strong respect for life.

75 STR on the brick? And only paying 5 END? isn't that a little powerful?

Another example of the high DC to defense ratio. I also found Brick’s defenses quite a bit above his peers. He hits hard, but will miss a lot, and bounces hits, but will typically be hit.

That leaves two.

I found Brain and Bolt will be the fight-starters. Imagine each combat starting off with a 10d6 (maybe more) PRE attack which will average +20 on the typical (based on these characters) 15 PRE, plus a 12d6 AoE Flash. The others can then let loose with their most powerful attacks, confident they can hit most targets.

Thank you Hugh.  I have decided to tone down both Brick and Beast to more 12d6 attack range.  Might reduce the others as well, but don't think so right now (Maybe bolt...). 

Want to avoid VPP on belt

I intended Brick to have extremly high defence compared to the others, his thing...However I do think raising a couple to higher levels would be appropriate as well (from 20 to 25, maybe one to 30 without the modifiers...

Yup, reworking her, also making her a runner (with use running as leap...think about it).

On the issue of drains, one thing I have done on most is that even if there powers are drained enough of their points are in base characteristics that they can still be fairly effective w/o their powers...For instance right now blur has 30m of running outside of it, with OCV/DCV of 8 and speed 5.  Definatly a drop in effectiveness for being drained but not crippling

General/Multi-Character Notes:

I am noting that none of the example characters are displaying a Movement Block, even if they area all base line, you should still show what the values are.

Both Bolt, and Belt's martial arts packages lack names, and neither defines what their default Weapon Element is.

I think instead of naming the skill-set packages Customization I or II ​just use the name in parentheses. For example, "Investigator Skill-Set" and then make a note in the overview for these characters that you can trade any Skill-Set with any other Skill-Set in order to customize the character some.

For Skills that are purchased with bonuses to the roll built in I usually note them in the following format: "Weaponsmith +1 (5 APs)   13- ". That way it is more clear why the value deviates from the character's Characteristic Roll (especially useful if you choose to leave off costs for a newbie-friendly quickplay sheet).

I am noticing that all of the example characters have extremely high base CVs compared to their peers from Champions Complete​ (most of which hover around CVs of 8 instead of 10). They are also all dishing out more powerful attacks than their CC Peers (most of which cap out around 60 APs instead of 75). You could save yourself a lot of points which could be used to diversify the characters by toning down their raw power to values more in line with what is expected of 400-point characters. These characters also tend to have very high defenses, with every one of them sporting amounts of resistant defenses normally reserved for Bricks

Bolt:

​Bolt has a lot of PD an ED for a Hyper-Competent, and an extremely low CON, STUN, and BODY. Of all the characters, I sort of expected him to have a high CON, STUN, and BODY (aka 30, 40, 20), and at least 8 REC. His DCV is low enough (compared to his peers) that he's is going to be an easier target, and once he gets pinged he basically a dead man. The average result of a typical 12d6 Blast is going to leave him Stunned, and as one of the slowest of his peers, he could easily find himself Stun-Locked.

I think the Line-Arrow should be Swinging instead of Stretching, since it appears to be intended to function as a Movement Power, if you want to limit the maximum swing distance, use a Limited modifier.

Brain:

Brain's EGO is pretty low for a mentalist. Not only does EGO determine his resilience to other mentalists, but also his initiative for mental powers. As a controller he should be going first most of the time, yet even after Lightning Reflexes his initiative is right in the middle of the range presented by these characters.

​Brick:

​As with Blur, I'm not comfortable with the number of Game Elements being unified here. It leaves the character exceptionally vulnerable to a wide verity of Drains which he has no defense against whatsoever. A single Drain BODY of STUN (the most common kinds of Drain) sapping his Strength, CON, STUN, BODY, and Resistant Defenses all at once is a glaring tactical flaw. It basically hands certain villains an "I Win" button that the hero can't do anything about.

Yup, reworking her, also making her a runner (with use running as leap...think about it).

On the issue of drains, one thing I have done on most is that even if there powers are drained enough of their points are in base characteristics that they can still be fairly effective w/o their powers...For instance right now blur has 30m of running outside of it, with OCV/DCV of 8 and speed 5. Definatly a drop in effectiveness for being drained but not crippling

I thought that is why the Brick has most of his STR bought as unified!

Revisions are a coming:

I have reduced most of the attacks down (Blast still has her 5d6 RKA), upped defense on a number of them, tweekedd speed and dex on a few and CV's are being lowered to an average of 9ish. 

I am trying to come up with another arrow for Bolt right now...I have a really complicated formula and it boils down to needing a 10 dc attack costing 62 points ish...

Bolt has most of the typical "Trick Arrows" already... there isn't much left for him to buy.

You could give him a "Knocker" (8 to 10d6 Blast, Double Knockback (+1/2) (60 to 75 APs), or a "Shrieker" (Area of Effect (Line) Hearing Group Flash or AVAD (Hearing Flash Defense), Area of Effect (Line) Blast).