Nostalgic?

My friend decided to run a fourth edition game as he just bought the bundle of books. I was excited and gave Ben digging out old books to build a character. I have just experienced an edge case that drove the demise of elemental controls.

The character manipulates dimensions and mostly operates while shrunk. When shrunk he is also faster (better able to manipulate the fourth dimension). He has two big cost powers - shrinking and flight and so I bought an EC which gave a reasonably modest point saving and tied the powers together. The additional SPD was not costly enough to fit in the EC, so I bought it outside. Then I noticed that my SPD3 character now can switch to SPD 7 when shrunk. For a VERY modest investment of points (about 6 to my rough calculation), I could purchase an additional 9 SPD in the EC rather than an additional 4 SPD outside...

It is only by revisiting the old rule sets that you begin appreciating some of the changes that have been made over 5th and 6th.

Doc

4th Edition warns about including characteristics in ECs.

Page 60, BBB:

"Characteristics bought with the Multipower Power Framework never add to Figured Characteristics. Characteristics can only be bought within other Power Frameworks with special permission from the GM."

For comparison, 2nd Edition says (page 27):

"Elemental Controls should not contain any Skills or Characteristics, unless the GM allows it (there should be some very compelling reasons for this!)"

The statement in 2e is actually stronger ("should not") than the one in 4e.