Bleeding

steph

Hello friends,

In my low fantasy game, i use the hit location and bleeding rule. A player is hit two times by a axe, and for the two time he take bleeding damage. After t a turn he start to ''bleed to death - 3body) My question is When a character is bleeding to death, do you still count the other two bleeding damage ?

Hope i am clear

Steph

But that's what it comes down to, its a GM choice as to what optional rules you use and how they stack.  

If you want a gritty game where very wounded targets bleed out rapidly, then you can stack them.  If you want a game where people tend to pass out but not bleed as badly, use the rolls.  If you want them to bleed but stay awake, use just the 1 body per turn bleed.  If you want people to ignore that and not bleed, don't use either rule.

Totally agree with above.

As a GM it can be hard to balance objectivity - "I'm just following the rules" vs picking on players "I'm just following the particular rules that screw you guys over".

The best option is to discuss with the players which optional rules they want so that everyone at the table is aware of the lethality of the campaign.

Some players like to know their characters have a reasonable chance of dying - it gives them a sense of achievement to survive against the odds. Other players get their dopamine rush from other parts of the game - roleplaying, affecting the world, gaining power, being a mysterious loner vigilante etc, etc

None of these are wrong, it's just the age old problem of ensuring that either everyone enjoys the same sort of game, or in the far more likely case that people are different, that you hit all the players sweet spots often enough that they enjoy the game anyway.

And, of course, if the resulting game doesn't hit your sweet spot then there is a different issue, but - oh, my goodness - I'm derailing the thread...

Hero can be viewed as a component stereo set with an equalizer rather than an I-Pod.  The I-Pod you turn on and walk away, listening to what they give you.  The component stereo you turn on and work on what you want exactly until its perfect for the room and the type of music, adjusting various levels, settings, and options to get it just right.  It gives you perfect control for ideal results rather than simplicity without flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...

"Turning on" all the optional rules for damage can lead to a very different game.  Most players of HERO like to play as if they are in an action movie which suspends a lot of the physical punishment a character endures.  For instance, in many movies, the hero gets beaten up and a few minutes later seems to catch a second wind and then beat up the villain.  That's standard HERO.  In real life, the person who is beaten up is probably not going to stand anytime soon.  That's HERO with all the optional modifiers turned on.