Possible Star Hero Campaign

tiger

Just a thought:

A Star Hero campaign that combines Star Hero with Fantasy Hero.

Race - Same A Fantasy Hero, races would have their own planet(s)

Magic - Magic would run on Mana, some planets and parts of space have it some don't

Weapons - Technology based but Fantasy Based as well. Lazer Swords & Axes. Crossbows & Bows that fire lazer bolts and so on

Ships - Star travel but he race would have their own version of starships with some common ships as well. Thought about using ships from various other games, such as Traveller as well. 

Creatures - Fantasy based creatures to encounter and new "space" type as well.

Just a idea I'm kicking around

Clearly doable, since there are lots of precedents. :)

Our long-missing forum colleague, Bob Greenwade, was developing a setting along those lines as a proposed supplement for the official Hero Universe, tentatively to be called "Space Wizards," set in the Fortieth Century IIRC. Sadly he dropped plans for that years ago.

Sounds like something that would be Jammed with Spells...  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Chris.

That's the first thing I thought of. You beat me to it.

It's not your fault Tiger, the ancient Romans had the saying that " there's nothing new under the sun." So if they were tripping over each others ideas.... Just remember the words of Robert Heinlein, "Steal from one source it's plagiarism, steal from three or more and it's research."

Check out the references above, hit the libraries & bookstores, don't forget the History Channel and come up with something more detailed and more about the historical/fantasy elements that make you excited about the idea of playing in that world.

I've thought of something similar, although the characters would all be human and stay in one planet. But the laser swords and crossbows are there, along with robotic horses.

Maybe the magic in your campaign can have a technological aspect to it. Think of the Technowizards from Babylon 5.

Clearly doable, since there are lots of precedents. :)

Our long-missing forum colleague, Bob Greenwade, was developing a setting along those lines as a proposed supplement for the official Hero Universe, tentatively to be called "Space Wizards," set in the Fortieth Century IIRC. Sadly he dropped plans for that years ago.

If I release it as campaign book was thinking of calling it Adventures In Magical Space

I've thought of something similar, although the characters would all be human and stay in one planet. But the laser swords and crossbows are there, along with robotic horses.

Maybe the magic in your campaign can have a technological aspect to it. Think of the Technowizards from Babylon 5.

Technomacy would be allowed and not limited by the presence of Mana. Was only thinking/debating the use of Mana to limit spells and spellcasting in the setting

I admit what I'm about to suggest is a bit Dark Sun-esque, but perhaps mana is generated by life. So it would be strongest on worlds with a rich biosphere and weak to nonexistent in space or on dead worlds. Too much magic use beyond what a world can sustain, and you have a dying planet.

You mean an energy field created by all living things that surrounds everyone, penetrates them, and binds the galaxy together?

I admit the Force could be another way to look at it, but that wasn't what I meant.

In the Dark Sun universe, magic usage actually drains the life out of plants and animals and uses it as the fuel for magic. Cast a spell near a green plant and watch it wither and die before your eyes.